• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Dream like Dvorak, Do like Dvorak, .... Dead like Dvorak ...

Dream like Dvorak, Do like Dvorak, .... Dead like Dvorak ...

• Started by Jay Walker
    • 18 Replies:

Hello once again,

Well, I might not end up to be the most dedicated individual, but I do like helping to get things going. And thus my interest in Colemak ... a obviously better keyboard.

However, numerous "obviously better" keyboards, including Dvorak (the most popular of ALL the oddball keyboards), has never even achieved "cult" status. Reliable statistics are hard to come by, but in my reading of the internet, I see several references to "several hundred thousand" people using a Dvorak layout. That's the most I can seem to ferret out. It seems that the actual number of Google references to the Dvorak keyboard exceeds the number of users .... Using one million as a very generous estimate of Dvorak boarders, then the ~217 million computers in the english-speaking world (www.aneki.com/computers.html), then Dvorak hasn't achieved a penetration of even one-half of 1%. NOT EVEN ONE-HALF OF ONE-PERCENT!

70 years since invention, countless studies showing superiority of both speeds and especially injury, ample quantities of evangelical users, abundant software support (actually way too much for such a fringe product), 20 years since the widespread advent of the PC - and yet, and yet - UNDER 1% MARKET PENETRATION.  How, very odd, right??

And now we have the beginnings of another "superior" keyboard: the Colemak. Better than QWERTY in so many ways that'll it'll eventually take over right? Right?

Well, the keyboard isn't so much better - incremental improvements which help users relate to qwerty yes, some nods to the windows age with CNTL ALT positions retained (for those who know them) ... but still, really a Dvorak keyboard, but with somewhat easier training.

I say that, unless things are done differently with Colemak, it's going to be a case of Dream like Dvorak, Do like Dvorak, ... Dead like Dvorak ...

I think if you cruise the net, and read the comments of why people who tried the Dvorak didn't adapt it, most of the comments are very similar ... time and lost productivity at work while learning ... go and read the comments and try to figure out why it never caught on ... remember that Colemak only currently has an estimated number of users of under 5,000 (way to go!!).

I'll have more to say about this (and in fact have already spoken about it in other threads) over the coming time ... in the meantime, I offer this thought for Shai and others like DreymaR and myself, who'd like to see a better keyboard become the standard ...

Dream like Dvorak ... Do like Dvorak, ... Dead like Dvorak ...

Dream Differently .... Do Differently ....Complete Colemak ...

Bye for now ...

Colemak has been around in final form about a year so I would consider 5000 to be phenomenal.

As long as Qwerty is taught exclusively to schoolkids then for the masses all alternative keyboard layouts are D.O.A.

At least, Colemak unlike Dvorak takes this reality into account in it's design.

What I want to know is why am I stuck with virtual Qwerty on an iPhone ?
    grrrrrr......

Last edited by keyboard samurai (05-Jul-2007 06:41:42)

Predicting the future is hard, obviously. It's interesting to note that Dvorak (along with Betamax) is considered a textbook example in economic theory, albeit not without controversy. I have a feeling that Dvorak made "almost, but not quite" a couple of times - such as the incident with one govt. official making an important decision in Dvorak's disfavour all by himself and seemingly out of his gut feeling. If that guys' gut had felt differently... who knows? Same as Esperanto (let's not debate its merits and shortcomings here but it's an interesting case at the least), that ALMOST made official "neutral" language status in the EU. Had it gotten that status, it wouldn't have been a museum relic of a language experiment anymore, but highly alive all of a sudden! One major break can be all it takes sometimes, and sometimes it's mostly down to luck.

So maybe - just maybe! - Colemak could get a break: A new hope (reference, hehe) could overcome the "done" feeling that Dvorak suffers from now; the (much!) simpler learning curve could give just the extra push required to make it happen. Who knows. I don't dream too ambitiously myself, or at least I try not to, because as long as I can use Colemak in my daily routine and fun then I'm happy really. If the world sees what I've seen then fine, if not then it's really worst for them and not for me.  :)

A New Hope? Oh, man - I just got the sweetest T-shirt motif idea. The narrowing yellow band of text of the Star Wars intro, replaced with "Episode III: A New Hope" (the Star Wars fans will protest vehemently at the numbering, which point I tell them that Sholes was Ep. I and Dvorak Ep. II, heh), and the the Colemak in all its glory marching towards infinity among the stars. Oh man oh man, that'd be so much fun!  :)  NeoMenlo? Hello? Back from vacation soon?

Oh by the way, back on track: My capitalist friend, were there an actual point to that post given its title? I mean, is there anything specific you consider the dreams and doings of Dvorak that you wish to warn against? Apart from trying to make your layout breakthrough at the same time as a world war outbreak and suchlike, I mean?  ;)

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Jul-2007 10:10:20)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Since I'm kind of working with value adding and entrepreneurship, I'll give you my two cents.

We need a business plan!

What is the problem the user is facing?
    Ergonomic issues? Nope
    Slow typing? Not really
    Difficulties to hit backspace in its QWERTY position? No

And this is why so many people are reluctant to switch, the user does not have any MAJOR issues with QWERTY.

What is the strongest selling point?
    Probably typing speed and accuracy - lets focus on this.

Why don't we have more users?
    Cause there is no network effect whatsoever (except some viral marketing). If I am using Colemak, I really don't care if my friends are using it. That wont help me type faster or make my day any better.

What sells?
    Success stories.

Where can we find success stories?
    In the forum under experiences.

What should we do?
    Blog these success stories, tell the masses, increase awareness, be visible, create revolutions, go demonstrate.

Who is the typical user:
    Male, 20-35 years old, active on the internet, innovator/early adapter, unsatisfied with the pure concept of a keyboard layout that could be more optimized.

How can we reach critical user mass?
    I have no clue. From a business perspective, I would say the way to do this was to create Colemak keyboards, identify the professional users most likely to use Colemak and then take it from there. Infiltrate a newspaper company, force them all over to Colemak, stop productivity for a month, and then slowly let them start to type with Colemak about Colemak.

--
    padde

Yes,

DreymaR there will be a point to this thread. And padde has something there too, that needs to be explored. And samurai doesn't quite have it right - something better can take over, despite the ingrained habits - but the circumstances have to be right.

I haven't fully developed what I mean and how to say it, so just bear with me, and keep adding your thoughts - they'll help develop this idea with more clarity and force ...
    Bye for now ...

JW

Many Dvorak users have spoken and blogged their success stories. 'Course, that doesn't mean Colemak shouldn't follow suit, but don't expect overnight success--or success at all.

Another angle is that alternative layouts and keyboards do too little or too much. If only minor changes, such as Dvorak or Colemak, then users don't immediately recognize the benefits, no matter how much fans and critics praise the better layouts. If major changes, like Kinesis and Maltron, people are weirded out and stay away from them, despite their advancements in ergonomics and efficiency (not to mention price for such an underappreciated hardware like the keyboard.) People will go gaga over new overpriced video cards with marginal performance gains, though, gladly replacing them every few months.

New games require new video cards; do we need new keyboards? Lets say there is a product out there that only works with Dvorak or Colemak. Is this a good business plan for the manufacturer? Doubt it. In short, there is really no demand for a new layout even though everyone knows that QWERTY really sucks and there has been a viable replacement for 70 years.

Thinking about it, the only way for things to change is one huge company or government agency who has the influence to replace all keyboards. There's the rub. Such a huge rearrangement requires huge funds and time, but what are the returns of investment. But without something this gigantic, the QWERTY monopoly isn't going anywhere.

I think the best chance of dethroning Q is by teaching new users, namely children, to type with an alternative layout. Let's say some generous donor gave away 1000 computers with only Dvorak or Colemak keyboard to some schools or school district. Of course, the schools have to accept these weird keyboards in the first place, but let's just assume that they are embracing alternative layouts and have training programs ready to bring forth a new age of non-Q children. Now such a success story could have a formidable influence on the rest of the world. Then we have to ask, who's going to start the revolution, fire the first shot, lead the charge?

Amuseum said:

Many Dvorak users have spoken and blogged their success stories. 'Course, that doesn't mean Colemak shouldn't follow suit, but don't expect overnight success--or success at all.

Dvorak scared away too many people due to it's difference to qwerty. Colemak looks far more like qwerty and this is one big factor which encourages people to learn it. The reason why I never learned qwerty touch-typing is that the 'jfjf fjfj jj ff' lessons bored me to death, so I continued my hunt-and-peck. When I saw the cmk lessons however, I immediately chose to learn it. I therefore think that colemak should perhaps target more those who don't touch-type. The website should maybe highlight the easy lessons together with information why touch-typing is better than hunt-and-peck, which would probably persuade more people to switch. Any comments, Shai?

Amuseum said:

Another angle is that alternative layouts and keyboards do too little or too much. If only minor changes, such as Dvorak or Colemak, then users don't immediately recognize the benefits, no matter how much fans and critics praise the better layouts. If major changes, like Kinesis and Maltron, people are weirded out and stay away from them, despite their advancements in ergonomics and efficiency (not to mention price for such an underappreciated hardware like the keyboard.)

I definitely wouldn't say that dvorak does too little. As I have mentioned above, I think the opposite is actually true. The maltron then goes even further, and it does look horrible, despite its advantages.

Amuseum said:

New games require new video cards; do we need new keyboards? Lets say there is a product out there that only works with Dvorak or Colemak. Is this a good business plan for the manufacturer? Doubt it. In short, there is really no demand for a new layout even though everyone knows that QWERTY really sucks and there has been a viable replacement for 70 years.

I think the problem is that most people don't know that qwerty sucks and that alternatives are available.

Amuseum said:

Thinking about it, the only way for things to change is one huge company or government agency who has the influence to replace all keyboards. There's the rub. Such a huge rearrangement requires huge funds and time, but what are the returns of investment. But without something this gigantic, the QWERTY monopoly isn't going anywhere.

I don't think cmk should be enforced. People who want to touch-type can use cmk out of their own will, but those who don't can stay with qwerty. The problem here is getting people to know about cmk.

Amuseum said:

I think the best chance of dethroning Q is by teaching new users, namely children, to type with an alternative layout. Let's say some generous donor gave away 1000 computers with only Dvorak or Colemak keyboard to some schools or school district. Of course, the schools have to accept these weird keyboards in the first place, but let's just assume that they are embracing alternative layouts and have training programs ready to bring forth a new age of non-Q children. Now such a success story could have a formidable influence on the rest of the world. Then we have to ask, who's going to start the revolution, fire the first shot, lead the charge?

Here again, I think the problem is that schools are unaware of cmk and dvorak is too different. The schools woulnd't need new PCs just for typing in a different layout. They need nothing new really and that's what should make colemak attractive to them. It's all a question of publicity.

An analogy to smoking strikes me, although I realize that it is somewhat morbid: Smoking is very bad for you, but it has been hard to prove (not anymore, but earlier), and the research and information has been hard to get through to the users.

Luckily, QWERTY doesn't usually kill people and it doesn't contain addictive substances either.  :)

I think that it can't be counted on to simply put it out there and hope for the best.

Even volunteer efforts need a marketing plan, and direction.

The dream of any new superior keyboard layout is that it'll somehow be taken up by school children. While this would be a major advancement, I point out that it's a very common dream/desire, and none of the alternatives have ever succeeded, so how realistic is that?

Perhaps it is realistic, but no one has ever made the targeted effort necessary? Or maybe it's been tried without success (Dvorak was reportedly being taught in part of the Washington State school system at one point, and still got killed).

I honestly believe that unless the transition is made differently than the old "typing lesson" method, Colemak will simply be one on the literally hundreds of alternatives that never even achieved the dismal "success" of Dvorak.

Hence my push to suggest that the transition itself is phased, with people's actual typing on the morphing keyboard becoming the "lessons".

Secondly, I think that a marketing plan would need to be developed and target markets aimed at, with precision.

Aside from the ubiquitous "let the children lead the way" dream, I see two other potential markets.

One, managers and executives with moderate/slow typing skills. They are spending greater and greater amounts of time on keyboards of various types (eg Blackberry, etc.) who could benefit from a phased transition.

Secondly, those suffering from RSI/Carpal Tunnel. This too is a typical dream for the alternative keyboarders. However, the way to go about achieving this would be, I suggest, entirely differently than how it has presently been done (which is haphazard, if at all).

I say target the HMO's, the insurance companies, the workers compensation boards, that have to pay these claims. Develop a marketing plan to show them how this board will help lower their claims costs. Once this begins, their will finally be a powerful economic allay in trying to actively convert from the qwerty board.

I suspect that one of the reasons that this has never happened, is that patchwork fixes to the qwerty issues have never been able to overcome the perceived steep learning curve to another, better, ergonomic board layout, eg Dvorak. So a patchwork alternative has always instead been used - i.e. an ergonomic shaped board is suggested, instead of a better layout.

Bye for now ...

Actually, I found another layout that's kind of similar to Colemak, in that minimal key movement is promoted, and you can actually change just a few keys at a time, getting marked improvement by the time the final changes are achieved. It's a "partial optimization" of the carpalx layout. It's located at:

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/

and if you scroll down about half-way to the five-step plan (what they call the partial optimization) to easier keyboarding, they show how changing the position of nine keys in just five steps, one at a time, can significantly improve your keying effort.

Using that mod'ed layout, the "home key" fingers comparison (using the scottbryce.com cryptogram stats) for is:

Qwerty: 25.8%

Colemak: 64.4%
    Partial Carpalx: 55.0%
    or abkey: 60.0% (a proprietary model, at www.abkey.biz).

I think any of the three below has some chance (limited though it may be) to unseat qwerty, and whatever layout gives homage to the legion of qwerty users, will probably do it. Because of the intuitive layout, I think abkey would probably be the clear leader, if it weren't for the fact that it requires replacement of the world's keyboards, and is  a proprietary standard.

Although not as good as Colemak, because of the far fewer changes needed, the partial optimization of carpalx would probably be my next choice, because only 5 key swaps need to occur, and they can occur ONE AT A TIME. This would ease things for qwerty users. However, this standard would need

Although the best of the bunch in technical terms, I think Colemak faces the largest learning hurdles of the three (most difficultly to learn the new layout).

Dream like Dvorak ... Do like Dvorak ... Dead like Dvorak ...

I note that carpalx offers one intermediate switch which is something that people can wrap their heads around with maybe more ease than a 5-step route (although experts may disagree?). It can even be used on its own accord if you're not hardcore enough to go all the way. I think that's a decent idea, and maybe Shai agrees? Could there be a "semi-Colemak", one single step on the way to full Colemak goodness? The great thing about such a semi-layout is that it's completely optional. I'd suggest a pathway that leaves the J in the wrong place but fixes the home row. Hmmm...

I do agree that a one-keystep-at-a-time approach looks neat, but if it leads to something halfhearted (or uses too many temp positions for that matter) I can't accept it myself.

"Dream like...", "Dream like...", "Dream..." - aaah, gotta wake up! Stop with your slogan dropping, please, and stick to the argument. It gets tiresome and sounds like you're some kind of idea peddler trying to hypnotize us into following you.  ;p

As for the X-Fu itself, I can't remember where I read Shai's comments on it but he had some. It looks like a good layout, but I notice a few points myself:
    - Doesn't conserve the rare-but-hotkey-important (for most) ZXC(V) keys; I consider moving them a bad idea as three of them are very well placed on the QWERTY and the fourth acceptable.
    - Also moves some other rare keys around a bit too much maybe? No idea why it replaces the Q with X; that should be really unnecessary.
    - Gets the R in a somewhat awkward position considering its usage frequency? For me this is even more of an issue since the R is substantially more common in some non-English languages including my own (Norwegian). Same goes for the H to some extent.
    - The comment "23-oct-06 I am adjusting my effort models. All keyboard layouts are outdated." is very interesting but also means that we'll have to wait for Martin's next move. Saying you're done (as Shai has) has some benefits to it although it does of course mean that no further progress will be made either so it's only right to do if you're fairly confident you are where you want to be. Shai was of course, but it's hard to see for the non-expert who is right and not about such things.

Martin's case studies are fairly nice. I'd love to see him do one on Colemak since he's aware that it's a good contender to his own layouts.

Using trigraphs is a good way to optimize I think. He has done much work on the subject for sure.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Jul-2007 08:10:32)

DreymaR

While I can appreciate you might not like the "slogan dropping", and would prefer that I stick to my argument I can appreciate that's because you're a scientist. Most of the world isn't.

Slogans have a way of ringing on in most people's heads, and that's why companies spend so much time promoting them. I'm not ashamed that I promote ideas; I suppose that you're not ashamed that you rigorously examine the scientific basis of claims and perhaps, slogans.

If the world worked the way it should ... scientifically ... then we probably wouldn't be on this forum discussing stuff, because Dvorak would already be widely used ... but here we are ...

Further, if I wasn't interested in promoting ideas, then I probably wouldn't have found carpalx and we also wouldn't be having this discussion ... and I also note that you do peddle a singular idea as the sign-off in each one of your postings ... we all peddle ideas, do we not?

Aren't some of these differences what make us unique and human, grant us the mental flexibility in dealing with the human condition and the emotional strength to persevere, even when things bother us ...

Well, that's kind of a random assortment ... my point is obvious to you ... but might not be so obvious to others who wander here ... I'd love to see some better keyboard become the standard (I'm not married to Colemak, only to one that makes big gains, and has the best chance of being widely implemented) ... and the keyboard that gets most widely implemented won't be because it was scientifically the best ... it'll depend on those other factors ... factors my "slogan" might force other people to think about.

Irritating? Perhaps. Thought provoking? I hope so - at least to deal with the substance of the slogan - and dealing with the substance of issues is a scientific forte, is it not? What will make Colemak have any different fate than Dvorak, or any one of the, litterally, hundreds of other alternatives out there?

JW

Would you call Dvorak a failure?

With some 100.000 users?

I wouldn't.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    -Margaret Mead

Padde: August Dvorak wanted to renew the way people type (and probably to make a fortune in the process, hehe). Compared to his ambitions, it is safe to say that he failed.

JW: Merely reiterating a slogan too often will as I perceive it quickly explore its thought-provoking potential and thereafter turn to mind-numbingness; this is, I believe, the opposite effect of what you desire. I do know that the process may work faster on me than on some others, but I also do know that the people on these boards aren't your run-of-the-mill popcorn eaters that will be impressed by mere reiteration, and that these forum debates is a genre different from the ones where commercials are the expected fare. I suppose you know this as well and we merely have a difference of opinion on the matter based on our backgrounds, as you suggest. No biggie.

What, pray tell, is the singular idea I'm peddling as my "sign-off" message? Are you referring to my signature? I like to think that you of all people should be in possession of enough genre awareness to discern a signature quote from a closing statement!? I will therefore refrain from elaboration on this distinction and merely put your comment down to whatever your comment should be put down to.  ;p

The rest of your post I find insightful and thought-provoking.

Yes, Padde

Unfortunately, we have to call 100,000 to 500,000 users (most likely estimate) a failure. Given there's some 200m computers in the English speaking world, that's a dismal penetration rate after some 70+ years.

DreymaR,

I appreciate your comments - I don't think I'm nearly as smart as you kindly insinuate me to be. In any case, thanks for participating here ... I can see that you're kind of the informal "Keeper of the Colemak".

I do seriously question whether Colemak can jump the hurdles it has in front of it, and whether an approach like Martin's "partial optimization" might not actually be the best to achieving significant improvement over a qwerty. Not as good as Colemak's, but enough that the differences are relatively minor.

Given most people's talking speed of 170-200wpm, I wonder whether the keyboard will survive another 10 years (although it's demise has been predicted many times, without actually occurring). By the time Colemak catches on, the partial optimization could have been having good market penetration.

Anyway, thanks ...

I don't think that the keyboard will be superseded in the near future. Perhaps you might want to talk about speech recognition here?

padde said:

Since I'm kind of working with value adding and entrepreneurship, I'll give you my two cents.

We need a business plan!

What is the problem the user is facing?
    Ergonomic issues? Nope
    Slow typing? Not really
    Difficulties to hit backspace in its QWERTY position? No

And this is why so many people are reluctant to switch, the user does not have any MAJOR issues with QWERTY.

What is the strongest selling point?
    Probably typing speed and accuracy - lets focus on this.

Why don't we have more users?
    Cause there is no network effect whatsoever (except some viral marketing). If I am using Colemak, I really don't care if my friends are using it. That wont help me type faster or make my day any better.

What sells?
    Success stories.

Where can we find success stories?
    In the forum under experiences.

What should we do?
    Blog these success stories, tell the masses, increase awareness, be visible, create revolutions, go demonstrate.

Who is the typical user:
    Male, 20-35 years old, active on the internet, innovator/early adapter, unsatisfied with the pure concept of a keyboard layout that could be more optimized.

How can we reach critical user mass?
    I have no clue. From a business perspective, I would say the way to do this was to create Colemak keyboards, identify the professional users most likely to use Colemak and then take it from there. Infiltrate a newspaper company, force them all over to Colemak, stop productivity for a month, and then slowly let them start to type with Colemak about Colemak.

--
    padde

Exactly! I have lots of friends, and I always am trying to get them to stop using QWERTY. Well since I type faster than average, most people don't notice the small increase I got by switching away from QWERTY. (I am trying to avoid mentioning that I am using Dvorak, yet supporting Colemak.) I know one person noticed that my hands move a lot less, and he is actually considering switching, "just to learn something new", but other than a single consideration, how many people have I converted of the dozens I've told? Zero.

What would be very helpful is some good advertisement. The problem is, that costs money.

I know that feeling, SpeedMorph. Makes you feel like a freak at times, maybe like one of those religious zealots that keep on droning about some belief that most people just don't care about. Ah well.  :)

I remember listening to the keyboard clicks of a fast typist. That fascinated me. But I'm easily fascinated.

I never got around to finishing the plans for a Colemak t-shirt design (or even better, several designs). I think that'd be fun and cool if done with humour and style. It'd of course cement my co-workers' belief that I am indeed a freak, but it'd be worth it for the fun factor.

Let me count the ways the mass culture would consider me a freak, geek, whatever.

I am left handed, so I grew up being a freak.
    Multiple advanced degrees.  (in the US that makes you suspect - part of the evil liberal intelligentsia).
    I don't subscribe to cable TV. (your just strange in the US if you don't.)
    I use Macs (that used to make me part of the Apple cult -- though things appear to be changing)
    I practice very traditional Japanese martial arts,  that's a tiny part of the population even in Japan.
    I am agnostic (in Texas bible belt -- whoa! sign of the devil )

so hey Colemak is nothing!
    :-)
    we need a t-shirt otherwise everyone will think we are doing perfectly normal stuff with our keyboard.

where is the fun in that ?

Last edited by keyboard samurai (27-Mar-2008 02:19:09)
      • Index
      • General
      • Dream like Dvorak, Do like Dvorak, .... Dead like Dvorak ...