• You are not logged in.

Same Finger Again

• Started by SerendipityG3A
    • 5 Replies:

I'm having a small problem getting past a particular speed hurdle.  WR isn't too awkward, although that finger is a little weak, maybe UE a little more awkward, but one thing that I seem to run into all the time is NK/KN.  I seem to use that sequence way too much, and it feels clunky.  I've looked all over the keyboard for a way to separate that sequence, but obviously moving N would completely ruin the whole idea of Colemak, and there really seems to be no better place for the K.  Sooo, I've resorted to alternate fingerings, and I've discovered that it will require me to learn to finger each word with the NK or KN sequences uniquely.  Before I proceeded with this, I wanted to make sure this was the best approach.  Any of you really fast Colemak vets out there have any advice on how to handle NK/KN and other common same-finger issues?  You know, somehow I typed for years on QWERTZ, and I don't remember ever having these issues, and I was a very fast typer!  But I have seen the analysis, and I can plainly see that Colemak has a lot less of this problem than QWERTZ/Y, but since I don't remember dealing with the problem, I don't know how to approach it now.

Last edited by SerendipityG3A (15-Aug-2009 17:14:10)

You should ask DreymaR. As I remember, he has a funky way of typing KN/NK.

I do, and if you don't do it my way I can understand that you get majorly clunkified at it. In fact, it isn't my way but the way of several others here. I'm not a 'fast vet' I think, but I have the fast people with me on this.

WR is no problem really, once you learn to slide down from the W. RW would be worse, but there I'd use a similar technique to the NK/KN one. As you say, you have to use alternative fingering, sliding the middle finger in to N while you place your index finger on the K. It isn't disruptive because the motion is almost the same as the one you'd 'canonically' use. It is the best approach.

The really fast typists on QWERTY tend to do things like this without even giving it a thought. So you'll notice it on Colemak for two reasons: Because it's new so you notice little quirks better, and because you're now spending more time in a home position so you'll better notice deviations from it.

You don't have to learn each word with NK/KN it it. You'll pick up some polygrams pretty quickly and then it becomes second nature and you won't even be thinking about it anymore. Take the 'thinking' I just typed, for instance: To me, that's first a 'thi' roll followed by a 'nk' and a 'ing'. The word splits up into parts that are readily typed, and with experience more and more of these parts are recognized instantly.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I'm between 80-90 wpm, and I use a few techniques like this. Certainly I would use alternative fingering for kn and nk. I don't really think you have to learn each word separately, although the (very) occasional word will trip you up (like "inkling").

Thanks, everybody!  It all makes a lot of sense =)  By the way, I'm convinced I'm hooked to this keyboard layout for life now!  I'm glad I asked, even though I was going in the right direction already, since I've made mistakes of this kind before.  My mom has been typing on QWERTY since 1992, and QWERTZ all her life before that.  She's a professional writer, and yet she manages to somehow be one of the slowest typists of all time with the highest quantity of typos.  But since she types in proper form, I went ahead and asked her how she types her first name (Patty) because on her keyboard, she has to hold the shift while typing P with the same pinky that she types "a" with.  I watched her type it, and her pinky jumped straight from the shift key to the A key with a level of dexterity that it's difficult to imagine my pinky ever having.  I guess at that point, I assumed that that's just what I was supposed to do, and that I must have just done that on QWERTZ without thinking about it.  It didn't occur to me that I would have subconsciously used alternate fingering.  But now I believe that I must have since I now believe that my mom's lack of alternate fingering is what's slowing her down.

Best of luck showing your mother how it's done! (Yeah right, moms listen to sense a LOT!...)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***