• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Let's try to get a Colemak in hardware keyboard made

Let's try to get a Colemak in hardware keyboard made

• Started by rajagra
    • 22 Replies:

I found a website for a new ergonomic keyboard to be made in Q2 2010.
    https://www.trulyergonomic.com/
    They have a survey for suggestions, and they mention Dvorak **and better** layouts. Now to me that means Colemak, so I suggested it in the survey. If enough people here make the same suggestion, then maybe it will happen.
    Don't know about you, but a natively Colemak keyboard that is also compact, more ergonomic, and uses quality mechanical switches (Cherry blue, brown or black switches), is something I would be interested in buying.

That looks nice, but they should really have more thumb buttons, and the space in the middle is a bit wasted.

I emailed the people from Typematrix.com about the possibility of a Colemak layout.. and they said:

"Our current 2030 USB is already programmed for the Colemak layout.  By simply depressing the FN key and hitting F 5, the keyboard turns into the Colemak layout.  We just need to get some skins made to fit over the keyboard that describes that layout, and we'll be ready to advertise this great keyboard with yet another great layout.  We are a very small company and have a limited marketing budget, so any word of mouth that you and others using Colemak may give us would be very welcome, once we have the skins ready to go.  We have tried to reach out to a few people who have indicated that they would be interested in Colemak, but it has not been a resounding response, so we have been dragging our feet a little on getting the skins.  If we could get some commitment from a number of people, say 50 - 100, we would get moving on having the skins made.  If you have any thoughts about that happening among a community of Colemak users, let's talk further!

Mary @ TMx "

What are your guys thoughts? Do we have about 50 people who would be interested in buying a full-blown Colemak keyboard? It already has the hardware, the skins are the labels.

Yay, something's happening! If there are physical Colemak boards available, maybe even Microsoft might notice us!  :)

I don't think I'll want a TypeMatrix now, since I don't believe in square physical layouts but want something more like that TrulyErgonomic instead. I took the quiz from Raj's link and mentioned Colemak by the way.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I don't think I'll want a TypeMatrix now, since I don't believe in square physical layouts but want something more like that TrulyErgonomic instead.

From experience I think they work pretty well provided there is enough separation to eliminate ulnar deviation. The 2030 is a bit skimpy in that regard, but the old 2020s weren't too bad.

Wow. I already have a Typematrix 2030 bought cheap off ebay, but an older version without Colemak :-(
    There are a *lot* of nice features on this keyboard, like all the extra bumps/ridges on keys to help touch typing. The makers clearly set out to do the job well and they succeeded. The only reason I don't use mine on a daily basis is that I prefer full travel mechanical switches over scissor switches.

I'm sure I'll buy one of the new versions soon for use when travelling/at work etc. And while I could do without the skin (I have the Dvorak one already if I want to protect the keyboard) I'll probably buy the Colemak skin when it becomes available to show my gratitude.

For reference, the 2030's gap between the index finger positions is 59mm compared to 38mm on a standard keyboard. Not a huge increase, but enough to improve comfort, and combined with the fact that they got rid of the ass-backwards stagger the left hand normally has to put up with on normal keyboards, I think this is a keyboard well worth trying out.

I can't imagine typing on a “skin” would be a very nice feeling. Surely it would be better if a keyboard maker could just include four extra keycaps (F and J without bumps, T and N with) instead.

For reference, the 2030's gap between the index finger positions is 59mm compared to 38mm on a standard keyboard. Not a huge increase, but enough to improve comfort, and combined with the fact that they got rid of the ass-backwards stagger the left hand normally has to put up with on normal keyboards, I think this is a keyboard well worth trying out.

Because of the straight columns, you need more hand separation than a normal keyboard if you wish to keep your wrists straight. This means that on a 2030 you may actually incur more ulnar deviation than a normal keyboard, even though there is an extra 21 mm of separation.

The old 2020 had an extra couple of centimetres of separation, but even with that it can be a challenge to keep your wrists straight.

I still don't see why they couldn't make a little stagger instead (only in the right direction for each hand). A matter of aesthetics and simplicity of implementation I suppose...

Liquid_Turbo said:

I emailed the people from Typematrix.com about the possibility of a Colemak layout.. and they said:

"Our current 2030 USB is already programmed for the Colemak layout.  By simply depressing the FN key and hitting F 5, the keyboard turns into the Colemak layout.  We just need to get some skins made to fit over the keyboard that describes that layout, and we'll be ready to advertise this great keyboard with yet another great layout.  We are a very small company and have a limited marketing budget, so any word of mouth that you and others using Colemak may give us would be very welcome, once we have the skins ready to go.  We have tried to reach out to a few people who have indicated that they would be interested in Colemak, but it has not been a resounding response, so we have been dragging our feet a little on getting the skins.  If we could get some commitment from a number of people, say 50 - 100, we would get moving on having the skins made.  If you have any thoughts about that happening among a community of Colemak users, let's talk further!

Mary @ TMx "

I cannot find a reference to this (FN+F5 = Colemak layout) on the TypeMatrix website, or even anywhere else on the net.  Can anyone confirm this?  It might be useful input for the Wikipedia discussion (commercial attention for Colemak) ...

ghen said:

I cannot find a reference to this (FN+F5 = Colemak layout) on the TypeMatrix website, or even anywhere else on the net.  Can anyone confirm this?  It might be useful input for the Wikipedia discussion (commercial attention for Colemak) ...

I have a TypeMatrix 2030-USB and I can confirm that pressing Fn-F5 switches the keyboard into Colemak mode. When in Colemak mode the Dvorak light on the keyboard is illuminated (as it is for all alternate modes on the keyboard). The caps lock key is not modified by the layout shift, but it isn't where you'd expect to find it on an ordinary keyboard anyway. Pressing Fn-F5 puts the keyboard back into QWERTY mode, at least on this native QWERTY model; a native Dvorak keyboard might go back into Dvorak mode.

It would be nice if they mentioned this feature on their website somewhere. Has anyone asked them about this?

• A2

A french bepo user just found that this night from this msg (source = Mary from TypeMatrix). I confirm that the TypeMatrix 2030 has a hardware Colemak implementation hitting fn+f5 (using a qwerty software layout). It looks so weird it's not documented (as the fn+f4 thing for mac user).

Last edited by A2 (05-Oct-2010 05:06:55)

That's really awesome. I have the 2030 and I didn't even know that I could do that. Now I have my Dvorak light on and Colemak is working great.

Cool stuff!

They seem to be shipping by Q1 2011, almost a year later than what's announced by Rajagra. Anyway, it's worth waiting.

Compact, split hands, non-staggered, cherry keyswitches, fully programmable...  This looks very promising!

But I'd like to see them deliver it first...

I like the initiative and have preordered one to support their efforts. If anyone is interested I can post a mini-review when I've had it for a few weeks.

Please do that, Tomlu! Cool stuff.

I'm trying to scrape up the money for a 2030 too. If I can't get the keys labeled I'll just have to settle for blank kb and blank skin if they don't release the Colemak version soon.

If anyone wants to ease my transition (I'm broke) I have 10 PS3 games and an Eye up on eBay :P

Is there an updated ETA on the Colemak layouts?

Liquid_Turbo said:

Our current 2030 USB is already programmed for the Colemak layout.  By simply depressing the FN key and hitting F 5, the keyboard turns into the Colemak layout.  We just need to get some skins made to fit over the keyboard that describes that layout, and we'll be ready to advertise this great keyboard with yet another great layout.  We are a very small company and have a limited marketing budget, so any word of mouth that you and others using Colemak may give us would be very welcome, once we have the skins ready to go.  We have tried to reach out to a few people who have indicated that they would be interested in Colemak, but it has not been a resounding response, so we have been dragging our feet a little on getting the skins.  If we could get some commitment from a number of people, say 50 - 100, we would get moving on having the skins made.  If you have any thoughts about that happening among a community of Colemak users, let's talk further!

Add me plus three others i know to the list of people who are using Colemak on TypeMatrix! I think at minimum they should mention it on their website. I have emailed them, blogged about it and added a message to the TypeMatrix forum.

We are getting on pretty well with either a blank TypeMatrix or a blank skin on the top. It actually feels really leet to be able to type on a completely blank keyboard, so i'm not sure i'd get the skin, but if they made one i would have got it to help in the beginning.

Is there any further progress on this?   I am certainly interested in purchasing a Colemak Layout keyboard, as long as it is mechanical switches.

Just checked the linky, and, they look good, mechanical switches and all.

Last edited by Spinifex (10-Mar-2011 09:51:31)

Is there any further progress on this?

Well, I preordered one in November last year. So far, they've delayed shipment twice. There is currently no estimated ship date.

Their customer service is insultingly vapid - their status emails as well as their customer service replies are a big block of self-praising prose that generally fail to address what you want to know.

As it stands, I couldn't recommend anyone preorder. Wait until reviews hit the internet and they have their production down before making any decisions.

Last edited by tomlu (12-Mar-2011 02:02:46)
      • Index
      • General
      • Let's try to get a Colemak in hardware keyboard made