Hi,

First a short introduction :) I've been using the Colemak layout for about four years now. Before that I used Dvorak for almost as long and I have to say that Colemak is clearly better in every way. So good job Shai.

I recently bought a MacBook Pro (first Mac ever for me I might add) and the first thing I did was start looking for a program to create a custom keyboard layout. In Windows I use MSKLC to create a simple Swedish version of Colemak by only switching around the letters (moving Ö to the P position) and I quickly found Ukelele to do basically the same thing.

Now one of the things I like best with Colemak is the placement of Backspace on the Caps Lock key, so I started looking for ways to achieve this in OS X. While looking into this I first heard about and noticed the horrible built in delay put there in order to "prevent people from accidentally activating Caps Lock". A bit disheartened I followed the instructions on this site and others and made the switch using PCKeyboardHack. To get rid of the delay I used KeyRemap4MacBook and activated the LED hack. Fortunately this worked and the delay disappeared completely. The only problem was that now the LED on the Caps Lock key was constantly on.

Since I'm not one to give up without a fight I started looking for a different solution but this time Google failed me. :( . Having almost given up I was browsing the System Preferences and noticed an interesting option under Keyboard. "Hmm, disable Caps Lock" I thought. I gave it a shot, set Caps Lock under Modifier Keys to "No Action", went into KeyRemap4MacBook and disabled the LED hack, and what do you know, the LED went black.

So right now I'm very happy with my MacBook and OS X and I'd definately recommend it to anyone. But there's a reason I put this thread in the Technical section and not Experiences. I still do gaming and some development in Windows so I've used Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on it. Unfortunately I didn't have the same luck in Windows. I've used KMapper to bind Caps Lock to Backspace but the delay is still there. The LED is off and the key repeats fine, the problem is that I need to hold the key down for half a second before it registers, which obviously is very annoying when typing fast. I've looked high and low for a solution but I can't figure anything out.

I'm thinking the only way to fix this is a firmware/driver update but I thought I'd at least ask if there's anyone else out there in the same boat. If there isn't a simple solution we might be able to start a petition or something.

Last edited by Agiel (15-Mar-2011 17:39:32)