Hullo all

Is any of you a StarCraft 2 player by any chance? If so, do you have the following problem with the Colemak keyboard layout?
- On the login screen, the keyboard layout used is QWERTY. This behavior is quite new and was introduced with one of the last patches before retail (in the second beta phase) IIRC.
- Keyboard shortcuts in game use the QWERTY layout, to select a Larva and build a Drone I have to press "r" then "s", which corresponds to "s" and "d" in QWERTY. This has been the case even in the beta, at least since May when I started.

In game chat does use the Colemak layout, so that's cool.

Since I'm using a Mac I'm wondering if this is a Mac specific problem, or if it's a general problem for StarCraft 2.
Either way, I filed a bug report.

Update:
Did some further testing with other layouts: Swiss German and Dvorak. Both are recognized perfectly by StarCraft 2, while Colemak is only semi-recognized as described above. It seems there are different ways to specify a keyboard layout in Mac OS X:
- *.keylayout File, as in /Library/Keyboard Layouts/Colemak.keylayout
- Binary Files, as for the preinstalled Layouts, which reside in a bundle at /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle
When one opens the bundle there will be Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-B.dat as well as a AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat, which seems to hold all preinstalled layouts.

Since the preinstalled layouts work fine I wonder if it's possible to convert the Colemak layout to this special binary format (or get Apple to make it part of the Mac OS X default ;)).

I dimly remember having the very same problem with another application in Mac OS X, but I don't remember which.

Cheers, Oliver

Update 2012-01-22: anders found a solution to make Colemak work in SC2! (I sort of had to update this post)

Last edited by boli (22-Jan-2012 09:41:29)