• You are not logged in.

4 days Colemak experience and new record!!!

• Started by nimbostratue
  • 36 Replies:
Spinifex said:
nimbostratue said:

I am also enjoying reading your comments :), and I see that you achieved new score 39 WPM for 1 minute, which means that now you can type using colemak faster than hand writing(35 WPM).

How did you see that, on Hi Games?

Hehe, I saw it as well :-P

And interesting about the hand writing... I gotta measure mine as well now. (WPM = 5 * chars/minute, right?)

Yes but I don't think the spaces are included in the wpm. Could be wrong though.

@Spinifex:
Indeed, I saw it at hi-game chat area, and yes its true that in general people become despondent when they are unable to do things they used to be capable of and took for granted before. I actually did not become despondent because I have learned the hard way (sickness) that nothing comes easy and you have to be persistent and consistent in your plan, which is practicing in this case, but I guess it is difficult to abide by a schedule especially if you have a small  toddler asking for your attention all the day, as in your case :). I sill believe though that if you devoted more time you can reach your original speed within a month or two, but it is difficult to find time in this busy world, and hopefully some day we will not need keyboards any more with proper speech recognition software or maybe mental signals tracking.

@erw and @pafkata90.

1word = 5 chars
1word/1second = 5 chars per 1 second
60 word/ minute = 60 *5chars / minute = 60 * 5chars/ 60 second = 5 chars per second.
I hope I am right :).

Honestly I was thinking before pfkata90 reply if they count the space and the new line characters in writing. I think it does not make sense to count them, but to be fair in comparison between Typing and handwriting I think they should be counted because I guess they are counted when determining your typing speed, at least in the program that I use.

Yes, nimbostratue, I checked it and you are right :)

I just measured my hand writing and it was 20-21 WPM (didn't count spaces) for both longhand and block letters. 35 seems pretty high.

nimbostratue said:

@Spinifex:
Indeed, I saw it at hi-game chat area, and yes its true that in general people become despondent when they are unable to do things they used to be capable of and took for granted before. I actually did not become despondent because I have learned the hard way (sickness) that nothing comes easy and you have to be persistent and consistent in your plan, which is practicing in this case, but I guess it is difficult to abide by a schedule especially if you have a small  toddler asking for your attention all the day, as in your case :). I sill believe though that if you devoted more time you can reach your original speed within a month or two, but it is difficult to find time in this busy world, and hopefully some day we will not need keyboards any more with proper speech recognition software or maybe mental signals tracking.

Yes the children, as wonderful as they are, really do demand attention and there is no getting around it. Any sort of schedule goes out the window as soon as they get up.

I have set myself a little routine, TypeFaster practice first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.  I am concentrating on my accuracy for now as I know that that is the fastest way to improve my typing speed as well.

erw said:

I just measured my hand writing and it was 20-21 WPM (didn't count spaces) for both longhand and block letters. 35 seems pretty high.

Indeed it is. I wanted to clarify the issue so I used some of my old java code to write a quick application that calculates the writing speed, the number of character written and the time. It calculates the writing speeds with or without the space included. I tested my writing speed with somewhat difficult text from CNN. I scored 20.6 WPM ( without taking space into account) and 24.6 after taking space into account, but I was really tired from typing and I was almost asleep. Also, I wrote with my usual pig font characters, however, I will try later my faster scheme where I write using small font words and a relatively tighter or closer to each other characters , and I think I can reach 30 WPM provided I let my hand wrest for a while. If anybody would like to try the application you can find the links here.

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1048

Spinifex said:

Yes the children, as wonderful as they are, really do demand attention and there is no getting around it. Any sort of schedule goes out the window as soon as they get up.

I have set myself a little routine, TypeFaster practice first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.  I am concentrating on my accuracy for now as I know that that is the fastest way to improve my typing speed as well.

I have created some lessons or sets for the words that I used to find difficult and I remember when I practiced the first 6 sets for one day, I jumped by 5WPM. You can try them, maybe they will be helpful. I used to find set 4 and 5 to be the most difficult and although I typed at some point 50 WPM, I was never able to g; above 30WPM for these sets.

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1047

Last edited by nimbostratue (15-Mar-2011 04:47:20)

Day 75: 69 WPM (+3WPM) for 5 minutes at http://hi-games.net/profile/4468

After struggling for a while with my improved touch typing technique, and after only 4 days of making some improvement or change on the technique, which has added to the confusion, I was able to break my old record finally. I think that the best thing that has helped me was the left and right hand words lesson, which has increased my accuracy, and now even if I make a typo, I can feel it so I stop immediately and fix it without exaggerating and continuing to type wrongly several letters afterwards. I really did not expect this increase, as I was hoping to score 67, but I was surprised with 69 WPM LOL :D

Wow, great progress.

For 5 minutes typing +1WPM is already a good improvement, so +3WPM means excellent effort on your typing skills.

thx Tony, indeed +3WPM is great progress, so If I removed +2 WPM for the ease of the text, I will end up with 1WPM progress LOL. But honestly, this is the first time I type with fast speed from the beginning to the end even for tough words that I used to reduce my speed at. BTW Try my new lessons, they are helpful, especially the pure left hand and right hand words (all colemak words)

nimbostratue: may I ask how you changed the keyboard layout in Mavis Beacon?  I've tried to do it but can't figure it out.

DaBagus said:

nimbostratue: may I ask how you changed the keyboard layout in Mavis Beacon?  I've tried to do it but can't figure it out.

first of all, I use Mavis Beacon version 17 deluxe,  and version 20, but I prefer v17 since 20 is some what buggy especially the dictation or transcript lessons and I cant find a pirated copy of version 25 :) .Now if you mean the user interface keyboard that comes with the program, I am sorry to inform you that you can not change it, so what I did is I used typefaster for the first 2 hours to know the layout by heart then I started using Mavis Beacon after that, and since I already touch type, I had only to know the keys that are different from QWERTY. I hope this answers you question.

you can check this review about typing tutors, they rank typing instructor better than Mavis Beacon. I have not tried it, but it might support visually other key board layouts
http://typing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

you can check free download link " pirated :) " in my pearl
http://pear.ly/OoZL