• You are not logged in.

Touchscreen-assisted location knowlege

• Started by lalop
    • 6 Replies:

The advent of touchscreens provides a new opportunity for effectively learning layouts.  My method of learning was:

1. Use the colemak layout extensively on mobile device.  After 1-2 days, this provided me with "look and thumb" muscle memory.

2. Switch to computer with guide image.  Due to "look and thumb" memory, my lookup speed was very fast.  Within 1-2 days the image even became unnecessary, and I basically knew (within a few seconds) where to press any letter.

3. The rest proceeded as normal: practice to turn this location knowledge into purely finger-muscle memory.

The main advantage to adding a step 1 is that it splits the learning process into easier parts.  If one starts with 2, one'd simultaneously be learning a) where to lookup letters, b) how to translate this to finger presses.  Having to learn two disjoint practices at once is generally slower and (to me, at least) much more frustrating.  Better to start with the intermediate touchscreen where the lookup gives you immediate results (1/a), then only transition once proficient at this (2/b).

Edit (25/4/12): note that, for QWERTY touchtypists, Tarmak can provide an even more gradual method of switching.

Last edited by lalop (25-Apr-2014 15:27:19)

In my experience, one finger typing on a touch screen doesn't help muscle memory at all, it's completely different.  I comfortably used Colemak on PC (touch typing) and Qwerty on touch screen in parallel.  That is, until I switched to MessagEase and never looked back. :-)

Perhaps I'm not being clear: the touchscreen practice is primarily to speed-up image-lookup.  That way, when you're using the guide image, you already have a muscle memory of where on the image to look, which makes your initial typing much more effective.

[Edited the OP to hopefully clarify this]

Last edited by lalop (10-Apr-2013 22:11:23)

Sounds interesting... but I believe I agree with ghen; I don't think it works that way in practice.

Splitting up learning processes is nice (cf the Tarmak), but I think the touch screen training will be an ultimately unnecessary and not sufficiently beneficial step. This is just speculation on my part though, and since you feel you had good results with it I'd love to discuss the method further! :)

I was somewhat surprised when I realized I have a very visual knowledge of Colemak myself, possibly due to having made a lot of images of it. Several users who type faster than me appear largely unable to easily see the layout in their head but merely have it in their fingers. This came up in the discussion of my MessagEase modifications which I felt made the layout easier to use and remember.

Actually, using the Colemakoid MessagEase layout could possibly be a middle ground that's both efficient on the phone and helps remembering Colemak positions for the upper and lower rows? The home row isn't helped by it but you can't have everything and I think that using an efficient input method will be more pleasing.

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Apr-2013 08:27:46)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

since you feel you had good results with it I'd love to discuss the method further! :)

Well, AMA I guess.  But, the long and short of it was that I got frustrated trying to slowly lookup/type letters from the guide image, so I went back and practiced on phone for a day or so, with positive results.  Even if it doesn't speed things up in practice (need more data to determine that), it definitely makes the process less frustrating, which is a very big thing.

I'm dubious that messagease would help, since step 1 is essentially "practicing the guide image" (with more low-attention-span-friendly results).  As ghen says, different layouts such as messagease remain very disjoint in my mind.

Hmm... well, I always sucked at typing on tiny screens and I would take a real keyboard any day, but I think there is some kind of connection between visual memory of a layout and the ability to use it on a small screen at least.  After all, you pretty much have to look at it to use it anyway, so having a visual map in memory and knowing the general location of each key is pretty important.  Not so sure about the benefit of learning on a real keyboard though, since muscle memory rules supreme there.

I can say, however, that as I progressively got better at typing with Dvorak and began to slowly forget the QWERTY layout, I was in for a surprise when I tried to enter text on my phone again.  I was effectively no longer able to use Swype at all hardly!  I think my ability to use QWERTY on the real keyboard probably diminished before my ability to type it on the little screen, though.

Still, I decided to take the advice of other users on this forum and give MessagEase a try, and I won't be going back.  For entering text on a touchscreen, IMO it's a must... QWERTY, Dvorak and Colemak are all a joke in that case.  Trying to cram a full-size physical keyboard layout into a small touchscreen has to be up there with some of the dumbest ideas ever, and strikes me as quite lazy and unimaginative.  No wonder innovation in general tends to be so poor at times when people come up with ideas like this to get on the market instead of doing proper research for new potential methods that are better suited to the device and/or task at hand.

Last edited by UltraZelda64 (12-Apr-2013 00:11:40)

I have a Blackberry with a physical keyboard (not out of choice I might add), and I find the thing horrendous to enter messages on.  T9 is easier for me by a long way with predictive text.

I'm sure some error correction or software could help me on the Blackberry - I'm a fat handed twat.   When it comes to trying to key in the simplest of phrases I struggle.

Having said that, it looks awkward from afar watching those with touch screens.  I got my hands on a tablet with Windows 8 - last week, and I have to say it was a painfully ill fondle for both of us.

Last edited by pinkyache (12-Apr-2013 18:09:14)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.