• You are not logged in.

GNU Typist comes with Colemak lessons

• Started by edam
    • 5 Replies:

GNU Typist version 2.9.3 has just been released.

I just thought I'd mention it here because ever since version 2.9 (October 2011) GNU Typist has come with Colemak lessons.  The lessons are based on the colemak.typ file available on this site, but have been expanded to include frequent words, shift key, punctuation, and alphabetic sentences lessons.

I notice that the GNU Typist page on the Colemak wiki is 7 years out of date!  If anyone is in a position to update it, it might also be worth me mentioning that you can download GNU Typist builds for Windows, so you don't need Cygwin to run it.  I'd be happy to maintain the wiki page, if that would be preferable.

Heh, yes – at least it's got the right link.

I notice that https://www.gnu.org/software/gtypist/do … ed-lessons doesn't mention any Colemak lessons?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

I notice that https://www.gnu.org/software/gtypist/do … ed-lessons doesn't mention any Colemak lessons?

Ooops, thanks!  I've updated it.

Thanks!

Looks good. I tried the "common words" lesson and it's nice. I wish there were an empty line between the lines though?

In the homerow-only lesson some non-homerow words like 'sentence', 'instruments', 'distance', 'straight', 'statement', 'triangle' etc have snuck in? ;) Seems to be a case of 'c', 'g' 'l' and 'm' being included at times.

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Jun-2013 17:21:20)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

In the homerow-only lesson some non-homerow words like 'sentence', 'instruments', 'distance', 'straight', 'statement', 'triangle' etc have snuck in? ;) Seems to be a case of 'c', 'g' 'l' and 'm' being included at times.

Great, thanks!  :o)  I've filed a bug report, if you're interested in the progress of fixing this.

DreymaR said:

I wish there were an empty line between the lines though?

This is a good idea.  I'll have to look in to the feasibility of drawing drill lines every three screen lines.  I've filed another bug.