• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Optimize Pos1, End, Del, PageUp, PageDown ...

Optimize Pos1, End, Del, PageUp, PageDown ...

• Started by guettli
    • 8 Replies:

I use QWERTZ (Germany) and I am happy with all characters: a-z and A-Z in QWERTZ

But I am not happy with: Pos1, End, Del, PageUp, PageDown ...

At the moment I search for an improvement: I want to keep my fingers on
    the middle of the keyboard, while doing copy+paste of lines and navigating in source code.

Does colemak help me with patterns like this?

- got to the beginning of the line
    - mark this line and the next three lines
    - delete the lines and copy them into the clipboard

Is there a different tool which can help me doing the above and
    keeping my fingers relaxed?

I use Ubuntu 14.04 and the pycharm source editor. In the past I used
    emacs ...

I already looked at hardware, but I love the lenovo trackpoint (red mouse knob between "G" and "H"). I think I can't live without it, since
    I need to use the mouse quite often. And the switch between keyboard and mouse should be easy.

Are there hardware keyboards with integrated ergonomic alternatives for a mouse?

As Davkol said, I have the solution for that. Check my signature topics – if you use Windows then it's the PKL one (but there's more info in the xkb one). Oh – I see you're on Ubuntu so that's fine then.

My Linux/xkb files allow you to select Extend mappings independently from your layout choice (and Wide/Angle mods too, as keyboard models). It's modular, the way I like it. You'll need to set a lvl5 modifier switch (I use Caps) and the 'extend' option as described in my topic.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I looked at the images of the ErgoDox keyboards. Yes, you can place a trackball between them. But my hand and fingers would need to move much more. The default lenovo trackpoint is not good. I bought a concave trackpoint, and that fits very well into my fingers. Switching between keyboard and mouse is very fast.

My current need:  Optimize Pos1, End, Del, PageUp, PageDown ...access.

I guess remapping capsLock to allow new shortcuts (AFAIK neo2 does this) would be a solution. But I don't like self made solutions .... but could not find a better way up to now. Feedback welcome.

Eh, am I invisible? :D You just asked again about the things I just answered!

Dear DreymR, I am sorry. I have read your post https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1438 to fast.

I have not seen that your layout is compatible with QWERTY/QWERTZ.

I would like to stay with QWERTZ. How can you get Backspace, Del, Pos1, End, PageUp ... to a more ergonomic position?

Is patching the x.org files really necessary? It would be very nice to just install a deb/rpm package.

Or an other way for installation: Get it running as non root user: Run a script which executes setxkbmap commands.

I think a forum is not a good place for a useful project like this. Why not move to github? Do you know git? If not,
    I can help you to get this running.

For me this is a long term project. And I don't want to do it for just myself.

I use Ubuntu 14.04

Right. :)

Nowadays I prefer providing changed xkb files which you'll find for download from my post. If you don't want to change your actual system files, you won't be able to see the changes in your GUI keyboard tools but setxkbmap can still handle them. Then you'll need to make a copy of your system xkb folder, copy/replace my changed files and run setxkbmap from your xkb folder.

I'm in the process of making some more practical scripts for this, but haven't finished it.

You can choose the Wide/Ergo mods as keyboard models if you're interested; that would not interfere with which layout you choose.

Same thing with Extend: It's set as options (-option 'misc:extend,lv5:caps_switch_lock'). So you could get the Back/Del/Arrows/etc with Caps or another modifier (there are several options for lv5 modifiers in the system already) regardless of layout choice.

Yes, I'm thinking about github. I started, but haven't gotten there. Too much real life in between my valuable hobby time! :)

Best of luck!

Dear DreymaR,

how do you generate or create the xkb files? With a tool or with an text editor?

Thomas

I edit xkb files with a text editor. NotePad++ under Windows, GEdit or whatever you prefer under Linux.

For your purposes, unless you want to change the Extend mappings you shouldn't need to edit any xkb files. If that's what you're planning, be warned that Extend mappings are a bit tricky.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Sep-2014 22:42:26)

• Index
      • General
      • Optimize Pos1, End, Del, PageUp, PageDown ...