• You are not logged in.

Easier external keyboard support on Android

• Started by jfmcbrayer
    • 3 Replies:

I seem to recall either the main site, or a forum thread, specifying a very complicated setup procedure for Colemak on external keyboard. At least for current-ish devices, you can install RS - Hardware Keyboard Layouts, and have Colemak available from the normal keyboard settings. It's free and doesn't require any permissions.

Thanks for the tip, but I still wouldn't recommend using any of the full-keyboard layouts on a touch screen even if it's easily recognizable. At least not if you'll be messaging and/or typing more than a minimium. Anything that takes drags into account and has a more manageable button size is probably better, but I prefer MessagEase.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

This is not for use on a touch-screen, as it doesn't affect any on-screen keyboard. It's a mapping for external Bluetooth or USB keyboards.

I'm persevering with MessageEase, and gradually improving, but I'm still around 21 WPM with it, which is substantially slower than I am with SwiftKey. I do find it a great substitute for Hackers' Keyboard for using Emacs on my tablet.

I feel I was lucky to take a complete touch typing class many years ago, so I don't really know the best online resources. I do know that learncolemak.com organises its lessons by finger, so that may be all you need.

_________
    adil

Last edited by babaladla123 (16-Oct-2014 07:13:13)