• You are not logged in.

Ubuntu 14.04 weirdness

• Started by bph
    • 4 Replies:

My laptop running ubuntu 14.04 has gone weird with respect to the keyboard

On login its running qwerty even though I now only have colemak UK in the keyboard settings options (I am aware of the ordering problem with multiple layouts so i don't think its that as i only have one layout option)

If I then click on the keyboard icon top right and click on colemak uk in the dropdown menu then it changes to colemak

but if i want to open a terminal with C-M-t I always have to use the qwerty t position rather than the colemak t position, even though in a text editor it is the colemak t position that prints a t

its really flaky

anyone else experienced anything similar?

have a fix?

Ugh, sounds flaky indeed. One possibility is to source a setxkbmap script from your ~/.bashrc or .initrc(?). I have one in my download named 'setxkb.sh' that tries to be fancy about it, but a script with just the setxkbmap command in it will do.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

There might be two issues going on there.

1. One with your login manager.  Is that Lightdm?

2. And the other in the terminal.  Is that Gnome Terminal?

I had shortcut issues with Gnome terminal at one point, and it had something to do with the order of layouts.  The work around was to place your preferred layout at the top of your layouts list.  Hard to believe that that bug still exists.

Do you only have issues in the Terminal, or rather, do shortcuts work elsewhere?

Either way, do file this as a Ubuntu bug under their respective packages.

You could try setting Colemak as your system default.  See 'man keyboard'.

(I would _expect_ the login manager to use the system default, thinking from a multi-user perspective.   If we shared a system, I wouldn't want your layout and you probably wouldn't want mine.  Annoying if you need to enter a password via key presses!  )

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

today its started working again, i.e. colemak enabled on login and C-M-t working as expected with colemak and i have made *no* changes to anything keyboard related

curiouser and curiouser..

and not working today..

as a rule i don't try and fix anything non-deterministic so this one will have to go on the back-burner

Last edited by bph (21-Nov-2014 11:26:14)