• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • Challenged my qwerty friend (Only been a Colemak typist for 2 weeks)

Challenged my qwerty friend (Only been a Colemak typist for 2 weeks)

• Started by nito_owl
    • 4 Replies:

So last night my friend was giving me crap and saying it's asinine to learn a new keyboard layout while qwerty being the standard.

I got tired of it and I challenged him to a battle in a week. I'm pretty confident I'll win if I keep practicing for another week.
    I used to type about 65 wpm on qwerty and I'm at about 60 wpm on colemak with 2 weeks of practice. I think he types around 70 or 75 wpm.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'll let you guys know who wins lol.

May the best layout win!

Sounds brave though. I didn't progress in speed very rapidly, but some do. Best of luck to you at any rate!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yes, let us know how you get on!  I'd be cautious about claiming to be able to type faster than him after only 2-3 weeks though. The advantage of learning a new layout like Colemak is not for an immediate speed increase, but rather to enjoy the benefits of a more efficient and comfortable typing experience for the rest of your life!

Last edited by stevep99 (06-Jul-2015 10:08:22)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

stevep99 said:

Yes, let us know how you get on!  I'd be cautious about claiming to be able to type faster than him after only 2-3 weeks though. The advantage of learning a new layout like Colemak is not for an immediate speed increase, but rather to enjoy the benefits of a more efficient and comfortable typing experience for the rest of your life!

Very true. I've realized that recently, and it is indeed enjoyable.

I have been typing Colemak for a bit over a year now, and I still haven't recovered my old QWERTY speed (though I'm plenty fast enough). I do have less RSI, so I've got that going for me, which is good.

• Index
      • Experiences
      • Challenged my qwerty friend (Only been a Colemak typist for 2 weeks)