• You are not logged in.

A wish for Shai!

• Started by DreymaR
    • 4 Replies:

Shai, it's nice to see that you're active here again! :-)

A long-standing wish in the community has been a write-up of the design story of Colemak. There are many wise words in this forum, but they're dispersed and buried in some very old posts for the most part. Most of us have a fairly good idea about what makes Colemak so good and more or less why things are as they are, but the same questions keep popping up nevertheless as new people come to: How exactly did Shai make Colemak? What were his design considerations and their priorities? Why is the S moved? Etc. etc.

It's been asked before several times and I'll say it again here: It'd be really lovely to have a somewhat fleshed-out writeup from the designer himself, that explains how Colemak came to and why it looks like it does. I think it'd help advocacy and show more clearly the advantages of using Colemak – and be an interesting read for aficionados and newcomers alike, to boot! Some of these points are of course already listed here and there in the site FAQ but I still think there's room for a good writeup that summarizes everything including the design history!

What do you say, wouldn't that be a good idea?

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Jul-2015 14:41:37)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I second this request.

Me, too.

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

tell us your secrets

Bump/Fifthed.

I would love to hear more about the design of the layout I've been using for so long.

Colemak typist