• You are not logged in.

earing out my double u key

• Started by pinkyache
    • 6 Replies:

Hi there,

I bought my keyboard ne , and have used dvorak on it constantly, no  I seem to be loosing the ability to type ith the  key.  hich is rather annoying, to say the least.

I've pulled out the keyboard from the laptop, tried to clean under the levers, but the problem is still there.

Any other ideas to fix laptop like key issues (Thinkpad T500).

Cheers.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Well well well, what 'ave we 'ere... ;-)

Unless you've spilt something into the keyboard I can't really think of anything. But there are software workarounds if you're willing to remap the W. But basically, that sucks. Get thee to a fixery!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Well for now... I've pulled off the keycap, blown at the key, wiggled the silicone nipple, and just for now, have a working w.  But it's not the first time.  it's a bit unreliable.

Interesting aside, it was loosing the middle columns of my Apple Powerbook keyboard that got me using Dvorak in the first place!  It wasn't ideal, but switching layouts helped me enter the broken Qwerty keys.  Not a proper fix, and look where that got me me!

An engineer had wrongly stated that the Apple's motherboard was broken, so I didn't really seek out a replacement keyboard, but eventually I did, and that fixed the issue.  You are probably right: a spillage issue.

The T500 has spill holes, and is meant to survive a liquid attack, but I killed my last keyboard with a couple of drops of tea!

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Spill holes may help some, but have no effect if sticky liquid has gotten on springs and/or contact surfaces.

If you take off the keyboard, rinse it in really clean water and let it dry well (you may use a blow dryer carefully), a spillage problem should be fixed. Hopefully.

No spillage on this occasion.  I think I've just orn it out. Must be all the indo shutting that I do.  I probably use forceful abandon.

--

Most likely, you should just use an external keyboard. The one I'd love to try would be TextBlade, but at my workplace they actually throw away standard Dell-type keyboards almost daily. They're not good, but they're free.

I have many external keyboards.  I miss the touchpad.  If only my das had a free flowing nipple.

--