• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • My correspondence with the Siteuri keyboard layout site's creator:

My correspondence with the Siteuri keyboard layout site's creator:

• Started by DreymaR
    • 22 Replies:

As mentioned elsewhere, Andrei Stanescu has a rather nice site about keyboard layout comparison over at http://www.siteuri.ro/dvorak/ - as the name suggests, he's a Dvorak user.

This may be bad e-form a priori, but I'd like to post excerpts from a couple of emails between him and me. Nothing personal in there so I hope he doesn't mind - most of it is my own ramblings anyway. And I thought we had some good words which made me want to share, even if it gets longish. Maybe some readers here have a good comment or two?

From my first email to Siteuri:

I see that you include the Colemak in your keyboard layout comparisons.
    However, you fail to mention a few interesting points I think:

- You point out that the Colemak doesn't improve noticeably on the
    efficiency of Dvorak, thus indicating that Dvorak is very close to
    optimal. Others, like Capewell, can get a slightly higher efficiency by
    having almost no constraints. But your point is valid: Both Dvorak and
    Colemak are very close to these "near-optimal???" layouts.

- However, the Colemak was designed with a few additional points in
    mind. As a Dvorak user, I used to be annoyed at the awkward strokes for
    keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl+X. Even worse was Ctrl+V which Dvorak
    had next to Ctrl+W so when I missed the key I'd close the (MS Windows)
    window I was writing in, instead of pasting some text into it! Colemak
    fixes this.

- The Colemak has less right pinky stress than Dvorak, by means of
    giving the L key a better position. It also resolves the Dvorak U
    placement issue that you mention.

- The hand alteration in Dvorak is believed by several layout designers
    to actually be overstressed! The new view is that smoothly rolling
    digraphs even on neighboring fingers (as long as the roll is inwards)
    are very efficient. As a piano player, I think this makes sense. I can
    play very fast by alternating, but even faster by alternating short rolls!

I actually switched from Dvorak to Colemak, and have been very happy
    with it. This isn't really a must for most users, since the Dvorak is
    already very good and the advantage of Colemak being so much easier to
    learn is lost on those who have already learnt Dvorak. Also, the
    Norwegian version of Dvorak that I was using had its own separate
    issues. But overall, I think the Colemak deserves much praise and I hope
    you could mention some more points on your page.

From my second email, commenting on Siteuri's reply to the first:

> CTRL+C is not really a feature of the Layout, but of the operating
    > system. The power user will be able to map it anywhere. There are many
    > ways to do this, for example if you start from QWERTY and rearrange the
    > keys to Dvorak using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, all shortcuts
    > will work as if you were using Qwerty. In fact I have three keys
    > dedicated entirely to cut, copy and paste, I don't press CTRL to perform
    > these actions.

Actually, Ctrl+C like many of the other keys kept in place by Colemak are in use by several common systems and applications. It's close to a convention I'd say - not a perfectly consistent one but still. So if you're used to Windows hotkeys for instance you'll find that several of the same hotkey functions work on a Mac or in Linux too! In this respect, it's very much a feature of the layout whether moving keys around messes up your default hotkey behaviour. Trust me on this - I was very annoyed at a lot of hotkey (dis-)placements back when I used Dvorak, and I'm happy about it now that I've moved to Colemak.

Power users may do many nice things, but I must say that I'm pretty much a power Windows user myself and I never got around to moving the Ctrl combos around to where they made sense. I think that actually would have to be done on a per application basis which is quite inconvenient. I did it for those of my games that would allow it, but not for apps that took more work to remap.

Remapping by means of MSKLC won't save the day I think. Either an application uses the SKEY value itself in which case you'll have to remap within the application as mentioned above, or it'll use the VKEY or hardware scan code (the latter is, thankfully, rare these days) in which case you'll have problems with other things since the key will have two interpretations. I always remap the VKEYs as well to ensure consistent system behaviour.

In sum, you can do things like dedicated keys and other very nice tricks. Myself, I'm fond of system scripting to do advanced functions for certain programs. But to reach most non-power users and even the less hardcore powerusers, you should strive to keep things nice and simple. And Colemak accomplishes this admirably in my opinion. In addition, not moving keys around unnecessarily helps both learning the layout and moving back and forth between the QWERTY boards you inevitably encounter and your own - as already mentioned.

> I haven't seen any study showing which are the stronger fingers and by
    > how much, but I suspect Colemak puts too many keystrokes on the index
    > finger. Colemak has less finger travel distance, but it also has twice
    > more keys typed with the same hand and an outward roll (which everyone
    > agrees is not good).

I believe that the index fingers are strong enough, but it's hard to tell as a non-researcher in the field. My experience may not apply to the common user. Ideally, I would have a "tailor-made-for-me" layout distribute the load slightly more but this is because I'm a piano player and like to work out all my fingers - and because I have better independence and strength than the casual keyboardist from my training. Everybody's mileage varies, obviously. On the whole though, the index fingers really are very strong. Have you played that game of "hook-finger", where two contestants hook their index fingers together and then try to pull as hard as they can to make the other contestant lose his/her grip? Strong fingers, those are.

On a side note, the ring fingers are horrible. Not because they're the weakest fingers - the pinkies should be weaker - but because they're so dependent. It's very hard to move a ring finger truly separately without moving or at least getting tension in the neighboring fingers - a piano player's nightmare when playing fast passages. Myself, I find that the ring finger's home positions are quite okay, but the ring finger stretches on the left hand are possibly the worst on the entire board. (The left hand stretches are worse on a traditional board, not primarily because most people are right-handed but because of the staggered rows which means that left-hand stretches happen at a very awkward angle.)

Your outward rolling info is interesting! What kind of percentages are we talking about though? It's easy to forget oneself in the heat of comparison - we should keep in mind that if something is rare enough then it won't matter if it gets slightly better or worse.

Another side comment: When playing tambourine, I (and the good players of Arabic music too!) use finger rolls to make the fastest strings of beats. They are of course inward rolls, for instance the four non-thumb fingers on the left hand before the right hand finger(s) take(s) over. It's amazing how fast and effortless these rolls can be!

> Since I have no idea which of my test criteria are more important (and I
    > suspect the relative importance might vary from person to person), I
    > simply can't say if Colemak is slightly better than Dvorak or Dvorak is
    > slightly better than Colemak. But I could post your email's content on
    > the website if you really want to promote Colemak.

My view is that you're absolutely right - it's very hard to test which one of the "good" boards wins by such test criteria alone. You'd have to do some solid research on a large group of typists, I guess. But what puts Colemak in the winner's position for me is the other advantages it offers, as mentioned. So for instance, if you already are used to a Dvorak or Capewell layout it probably won't help your efficiency or ergonomics to any noticeable degree to switch - but anyone who's still using the dreaded QWERTY should at least consider Colemak in my opinion.

Myself, I do feel that I benefited from the Dvorak-to-Colemak switch but that's my personal experience only. It was certainly interesting to note how much easier and faster I learnt Colemak than I learnt Dvorak back then! But maybe the second switch is easier anyway - who knows?

Enjoy - I do hope...   :o

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

interesting

I am a piano player too. 

I would the say the most common outward roll I seem to encounter is in "tion" but that's also an outward roll in Qwerty and maybe why it remains so in Colemak.  It's a good example of how Colemak morphs a common sequence to the home row with a minor alternation in finger movement. I suppose the movement of the one finger shift "io" was necessary from the movement of "l" and "e".  I guess the inner roll "ie" was important enough.   However, I am not convinced that outward rolls are always so bad.  I find the "io" roll from ring finger to pinky more comfortable than the reverse.  The "ly" is another outward roll that's pretty comfortable to do. On the strongest fingers, "st" , "ts" , "ne" , "en" ,  I personally find no signficant difference in ability or comfort.

I can see how all this can get personal.  I had never attempted to learn touch typing with Qwerty and I still have trouble with switching "r" and "s".  Admittedly I was on Dvorak not very long but I did not realize how much I hated what it was doing to my right pinky till I switched to Colemak.

Colemak got me motivated enough to learn to really touch type and stick with it till it was actually useful.
    I would fall in the spectrum of less hardcore powerusers.  I learned programming on a Commodore 64 and TRS-80 and dare I say it - card punch machines for IBM mainframes.  I guess I learned to adapt to keyboards rather than thinking about adapting them to me.  When I was using EVE on DEC's VAX/VMS systems in the 80's to early 90's that was like being in heaven.  But then that went away and I was left with only with Unix and DOS.  I am loathe to get to adapted to hot keys and other things I might not find on every keyboard.  As a Mac user it was very annoying to have "tnw" all together and "q" where "x" was .   I don't think I would have lasted on Dvorak more than a day if Apple didn't offer the Dvorak-Qwerty hybrid option.

DreymaR,

I have been lurking here for a bit but your post finally motivated me to join the board.  As this is my first post, I will say a litttle about myself first.  I am a Dvorak user and I would like to congratulate Shai for his layout, as it is the first one I have seen that comes close to Dvorak and Maltron.  It is certainly better than Dvorak in some respects, such as the lower same-finger ratio.

Now on to some responses to DreymaR's comments:

- However, the Colemak was designed with a few additional points in
    mind. As a Dvorak user, I used to be annoyed at the awkward strokes for
    keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl+X. Even worse was Ctrl+V which Dvorak
    had next to Ctrl+W so when I missed the key I'd close the (MS Windows)
    window I was writing in, instead of pasting some text into it! Colemak
    fixes this.

I don't understand the obsession with these shortcuts.  Personally, I don't use them that often.  And when I do use them, I remember them by their letter, rather than by their position.   I think that a change in the position of these shortcuts is just part of switching to another layout.  Even Colemak changes many control shortcuts.  If one set out as a goal to not change a single shortcut, then one would have to stick with Qwerty.

The concern many seem to have with this is that they want to be able to type these shortcuts with one hand.  However, it is unergonomic to type shortcuts with one hand.  The proper typing technique is to type control+combos with two hands, as this reduces strain on the hands.

Further, according to some research Apple computer did, keyboard shortcuts were actually slower than performing the same action with the mouse, even though the perception of users was that shortcuts were faster.

- The Colemak has less right pinky stress than Dvorak, by means of
    giving the L key a better position. It also resolves the Dvorak U
    placement issue that you mention.

Dvorak must have placed the U, instead of the I, under the left index finger in order to facilitate the typing of the most common vowel-vowel digram in English: OU.  In English, the vowel-vowel digrams involving U are considerably more common than those involving I.  If you will note, the Dvorak layout appears to be based more on facilitating the typing of digrams than on facilitating the typing of individual characters.  This is why U is on the Dvorak home row, even though it is about the 12th most common letter in English.

Most typists type by typing combos of digrams and trigrams rather than by typing individual characters.  Dvoraks's design may be well-justified on account of this.

to actually be overstressed!

The only hard evidence I have seen for this comes from Lillian Malt (co-designer of the Maltron keyboard and layout).  She claimed that maximizing hand alternation was optimal for mechanical typewriters, but not for electronic keyboards.  However, she only used a sample size of two, and only examined a very limited set of digrams.

On the other hand, Peter Klausler's data suggest that hand alternation maximizes typing speed:

http://klausler.com/evolved.html

I see that the fastest transitions are from the left hand home row (group 2) to anything under the right hand (groups 1, 3, and 5) and vice versa.  Note that the Dvorak layout that I use has all the vowels on the left hand's home row (group 2).

(News flash: Running the keyboard layout evolution program using the inter-key timing data collected from my own fingers has produced a result so surprising that I don't really trust it!  Namely, the evolutionary algorithm couldn't produce a layout that could beat the Dvorak layout that gets seeded into the final all-star round.  I've enlisted a bunch of QWERTY typists to collect their own keystroke data and see what the experiment produces for them.  Look for more results in a couple of weeks.)

Now, his results may have been biased by his being a Dvorak user.  But then again, Lillian Malt's results could have been similarly biased, since she used Qwerty typists as her test subjects.

So overall, I consider the matter of hand alternation to be an unresolved question for electronic keyboards.  But everyone agrees that too little alternation is a bad thing.  It is clear that Shai tried to maximize hand alternation (within the limits of his other design constraints) by placing all the vowels, except A, under the right hand.

The new view is that smoothly rolling
    are very efficient.

But Dvorak actually has a lower incidence of the sub-optimal outward rolls than do Colemak or Qwerty.  In this respect Colemak is actually worse than Qwerty.

I fed the following test-site the first two chapters of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain (from Project Gutenberg):

http://www.siteuri.ro/dvorak/index.php

I got the following results for hurdles/row-jumps and for smooth rolls:

Hurdles/row-jumping:

QWERTY 6.2 % 
    Dvorak 0.6 % 
    Colemak 0.8 %

Outward rolls:

QWERTY 10.7 % 
    Dvorak 4.7 % 
    Colemak 12.6 %

Note that Colemak has about a 33% higher incidence of row-jumping than Dvorak and about a 165% higher incidence of outward rolls. 

Thus, if you think inward rolls are important, Dvorak is your best choice in this regard, and Colemak is actually worse than Qwerty.  Row-jumping is another difficult maneuver that is more common in Colemak than in Dvorak. 

The higher row-jumping and outward roll ratios in Colemak are a by-product of both, the lower hand alternation, and the higher percentage of keystrokes assigned to the bottom row.

This isn't really a must for most users, since the Dvorak is
    already very good and the advantage of Colemak being so much easier to
    learn is lost on those who have already learnt Dvorak.

Colemak indeed is easier to learn for someone who who is already a Qwerty typist.  But Dvorak is easier to learn for someone new to typing.  It is quite neat to have all the vowels under the left home row for the purposes of learning. 

Personally, I quit Qwerty cold-turkey and did not find Dvorak hard to learn.  I was typing slowly, but acceptably, after 2 days.  I surpassed my Qwerty speed in like 3 weeks, although I was not a proper Qwerty touch typist, while the switch to Dvorak forced me (and guided me) to learn proper touch-typing.

I don't see any point in trying to make a new layout be easier to learn for Qwerty users, or in trying to make it compatible with Qwerty.  The way I see it, if you are going to go through the trouble of learning a new layout, you might as well go all the way and go for a complete optimization.

I believe that the index fingers are strong enough, but it's hard to tell as a non-researcher in the field.

I read in a mailing list/forum, that according to Dvorak's book, the middle finger is strongest, but Dvorak placed more keystrokes on the index finger, because that finger is assigned 6 keys (versus 3 for the middle finger).

I actually did some finger exercises where I lifted weights with my fingers.  I found that my middle fingers were actually stronger than my index fingers.  But overall, my index, middle and ring fingers were fairly close in strength.  The pinky was significantly weaker, but not as weak as you might imagine.  My index fingers could do about 50% more repetitions than my pinkies could.  This is actually comparable to the finger ratios in Dvorak, where the index fingers are assigned about a 50% greater burden than the pinkies.

So I think the biggest issue with the pinkies may not be so much the strength, but the length.  This may be the real reason why the L key can be uncomfortable in Dvorak.

One additional consideration about the index fingers is that nowadays we use mice.  But the most common mouse clicks are also assigned to the index fingers, while the pinkies are usually unused.  Thus, Colemak may lead to worse finger balance when one takes mousing into account.

Shai cites mousing as something favoring Colemak's more even hand balance, as most people mouse with the right hand.  But as I stated above, Colemak is worse in terms of mousing finger-balance.  And personally, I am ambidextrous with mice and alternate my mousing hand from left to right, in order to even out the mousing burden.

On a side note, the ring fingers are horrible. Not because they're the weakest fingers - the pinkies should be weaker - but because they're so dependent. It's very hard to move a ring finger truly separately without moving or at least getting tension in the neighboring fingers - a piano player's nightmare when playing fast passages.

I haven't really noticed this while typing since the distance to the top row is relatively small, although it seems to be true for longer reaches.  This is probably because most fingers actually share muscles with other fingers, but this only supports the idea of maximizing hand alternation, don't you think?  Maximizing hand alternation is the simplest way to reduce the incidence of complex moves by fingers on the same hand (such as row-jumping).

I don't find the R in Dvorak to be that annoying.  Only the L annoyed me, but this annoyance has faded since I started to use the Kinesis contoured keyboard.

The left hand stretches are worse on a traditional board, not primarily because most people are right-handed but because of the staggered rows which means that left-hand stretches happen at a very awkward angle.

And Qwerty places about 57% of the keystrokes on the left hand, including E! If what you say about the staggered rows on the traditional keyboard is true, it may be more reason to give a slight bias to the right hand (as in Dvorak), aside from the fact that most people are right-handed.

My view is that you're absolutely right - it's very hard to test which one of the "good" boards wins by such test criteria alone. You'd have to do some solid research on a large group of typists, I guess. But what puts Colemak in the winner's position for me is the other advantages it offers, as mentioned.

I agree that Colemak and Dvorak are both close to optimal for English.  Whether one or the other is better may depend on the question of hand alternation, which is apparently unresolved for electronic keyboards.

That aside, for me Dvorak wins on account of its superior compatibility.  As dominant as Qwerty is, I can at least count on Dvorak being pre-installed on Windows, Linux and Mac.  I don't need to install any drivers or layout files.  I can just switch the built-in layouts.   One can also get hard-coded Dvorak keyboards.

Perhaps someday Colemak will be built-in some operating systems, but until then Dvorak is less troublesome on this count.

Last edited by Ex-qwerty (15-Mar-2007 19:18:19)

Whew! I don't think I can bring myself to answering all that in one go, but here's one bit or two:

– Klausler's speed research was based on his own typing. He was a Dvorak user, so guess what happened?

– I don't know Apple's research. But when editing I use mouse and shortcuts together – I'm not sure that's what Apple tested? You can't do that with two hands, of course. And no matter what defenses you cook up, Ctrl-C is beastly on Dvorak and Ctrl-V is too close to Ctrl-W creating disasters. They were major annoyances for me. And that's no obsession, it's usage facts backed by other users' comments.

– Of course keeping all shortcuts isn't a goal; what a strange thing to say. There's just a weighting towards keeping the most important ones. You seem a bit overzealous in your argumentation, but maybe I just misinterpret.

Ex-qwerty said:

I got the following results for hurdles/row-jumps and for smooth rolls:

Hurdles/row-jumping:

QWERTY 6.2 % 
    Dvorak 0.6 % 
    Colemak 0.8 %

Outward rolls:

QWERTY 10.7 % 
    Dvorak 4.7 % 
    Colemak 12.6 %

Note that Colemak has about a 33% higher incidence of row-jumping than Dvorak and about a 165% higher incidence of outward rolls.

To say 33% higher is to exaggerate the difference which in both cases is quite low compared to QWERTY. 
    It would make more sense to say that incidence for row-jumping is  9.7 % of QWERTY for Dvorak and 12.9 % of QWERTY for Colemak.  Then you would need to estimates of likely standard deviation to say whether that 3% difference was significant or not.  In both cases a QWERTY touch typist is likely going to notice a difference in switching to Dvorak or Colemak, but between the alternate layouts I bet probably not.

So in you example Dvorak had about half the out outward rolls of QWERTY and Colemak had about 20 % more.  I actually like some of the outward rolls more than the inward rolls, so this may come down to "in the eye of the beholder".  Again comparing numbers without some estimate of variation is actually a fairly meaningless exercise.  With some understanding of variance and shape of the distribution you actually don't know if a few percent is really that significant in this case. 

After all the point of Colemak is not convert Dvorak users but to make the transition for good QWERTY touch typists to a more optimal keyboard much easier and faster.  To quote Shai

The switch won't be as easy for veteran Dvorak users. If you're generally happy with Dvorak, you should probably stick with it.

Colemak considers a lot of issues that Dvorak was not concerned about but they are both much more optimal when comparing to QWERTY.   Saying which is more optimal is going to probably end up as personal preference because variation of usage will I suspect always lead to a high enough variance that really good layouts will always beat each other in certain situations especially if you are considering languages other than English which is apparently one of Colemak's strengths.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (15-Mar-2007 22:46:53)

Actually, saying "9.7%" and suchlike when you're talking about small percentage results from a sample that isn't very very large (and representative!) indeed doesn't make that much sense either. You're right about a significance test being needed. Claiming that a 0.6% and a 0.8% result are very different based on Huck Finn for instance, suggests a very poor understanding of research principles to me; if this isn't the case then I'd love to see a power estimate on that test...

All outward rolls are not created equal. Ring-to-pinky isn't so good I feel, while some others are smooth. While I stated that neighboring inward rolls are very efficient in my view, I have nothing against for instance an index-to-pinky or middle-to-ringfinger roll. This is my take on it anyway.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Mar-2007 23:16:30)

aaackk.  I was in hurry and completely scanned over that it was just the first two chapters of Huck Finn that he was talking about.  I somehow got it in my mind that is was a larger data set.   I no expert in this area but I would thing you would need to have an ensemble of data sets to address the variance issue.  Without that all these comparisons of numbers is meaningless.  Also how do the moments and variance change when going from late nineteenth century novels to mid-twentieth century science fiction to current autobiographies or technical manuals, etc.

DreymaR said:

Actually, saying "9.7%" and suchlike when you're talking about small percentage results from a sample that isn't very very large (and representative!) indeed doesn't make that much sense either. You're right about a significance test being needed. Claiming that a 0.6% and a 0.8% result are very different based on Huck Finn for instance, suggests a very poor understanding of research principles to me; if this isn't the case then I'd love to see a power estimate on that test...

Without that all these comparisons of numbers is meaningless.

A statistical significance test isn't needed.  What is needed is to permit the examination of a larger corpus.  The test site only permits the analysis of a very small amount of text.

Samples converge very quickly when you use a large enough random sample.  This is why political pollsters rarely use samples larger than 1,000, since the results will be practically the same once you get a sample size larger than that.

Nonetheless, I am confident that I am broadly correct, because I have entered different samples of text and Colemak always has a slightly higher row-jumping ratio than Dvorak, just as Colemak always has a better same-finger ratio.  I have gotten differences from .1 to .3.  It is not a big deal as it is a small percentage, especially in comparison to qwerty.

I just brought it up because this thread mentioned the relevant test site.

Also how do the moments and variance change when going from late nineteenth century novels to mid-twentieth century science fiction to current autobiographies or technical manuals, etc.

I have run a lot of tests from different texts and as long as you use the same language, they don't vary that much.  The biggest variance comes with characters like " ' ? and so forth, which can vary a lot depending on the nature of the text.  For instance, Mark Twain's novels use the " ' symbols a lot, as there is a lot of quoting and colloquial English used, whereas technical works hardly use these characters.

All outward rolls are not created equal. Ring-to-pinky isn't so good I feel, while some others are smooth. While I stated that neighboring inward rolls are very efficient in my view, I have nothing against for instance an index-to-pinky or middle-to-ringfinger roll. This is my take on it anyway.

It may well be.  Again, I only mentioned it because the original author implied that inwards rolls were good and that outwards rolls were bad, in the context of the mentioned test site.

Last edited by Ex-qwerty (16-Mar-2007 21:40:53)

– Klausler's speed research was based on his own typing. He was a Dvorak user, so guess what happened?

I mentioned this myself ;)

All I was saying is that the notion that maximizing hand alternation is not optimal lacks evidence.  The only hard evidence came from Lillian Malt.  Here is Malt's study:

http://www.ergo-comp.com/articles/keyboarddesign.html

I'm sure Shai will find it interesting.

But, just as Klausler was a Dvorak user, Malt used 2 Qwerty typists. 

So my point is that the question of whether hand alternation is good or not with electronic keyboards is currently unresolved, contrary to what the original poster suggested:

to actually be overstressed! The new view is that smoothly rolling
    are very efficient. As a piano player, I think this makes sense.

The above is what I was referring to.

Last edited by Ex-qwerty (16-Mar-2007 22:00:10)
    DreymaR said:

– I don't know Apple's research. But when editing I use mouse and shortcuts together – I'm not sure that's what Apple tested? You can't do that with two hands, of course. And no matter what defenses you cook up, Ctrl-C is beastly on Dvorak

The Dvorak ctrl-c doesn't bother me in the least.  When using the home row touch-typing technique, the top row is generally easier to reach than the bottom row.  As I stated, I think our difference of opinion may stem from the fact that I use the proper touch-typing technique to type the shortcuts, in which case ctrl-c is easy.  But, if you hit ctrl-c with a one-handed move, then certainly the qwerty/colemak location may be easier.  However, such one handed ctrl-key strokes are recommended against by ergonomics experts.

and Ctrl-V is too close to Ctrl-W creating disasters. They were major annoyances for me. And that's no obsession, it's usage facts backed by other users' comments.

I agree on ctrl-v and ctrl-w, although it was only a nuissance for a while, for me personally.  I don't make the mistake anymore.

Here is a link about the research performed by Apple Computer on the subject:

http://asktog.com/TOI/toi06KeyboardVMouse1.html

We’ve done a cool $50 million of R & D on the Apple Human Interface. We discovered, among other things, two pertinent facts:

Test subjects consistently report that keyboarding is faster than mousing.
    The stopwatch consistently proves mousing is faster than keyboarding.
    This contradiction between user-experience and reality apparently forms the basis for many user/developers’ belief that the keyboard is faster.

People new to the mouse find the process of acquiring it every time they want to do anything other than type to be incredibly time-wasting. And therein lies the very advantage of the mouse: it is boring to find it because the two-second search does not require high-level cognitive engagement.

It takes two seconds to decide upon which special-function key to press. Deciding among abstract symbols is a high-level cognitive function. Not only is this decision not boring, the user actually experiences amnesia! Real amnesia! The time-slice spent making the decision simply ceases to exist.

While the keyboard users in this case feels as though they have gained two seconds over the mouse users, the opposite is really the case. Because while the keyboard users have been engaged in a process so fascinating that they have experienced amnesia, the mouse users have been so disengaged that they have been able to continue thinking about the task they are trying to accomplish. They have not had to set their task aside to think about or remember abstract symbols.

Hence, users achieve a significant productivity increase with the mouse in spite of their subjective experience.

Last edited by Ex-qwerty (16-Mar-2007 22:33:27)
    keyboard samurai said:

Saying which is more optimal is going to probably end up as personal preference because variation of usage will I suspect always lead to a high enough variance that really good layouts will always beat each other in certain situations especially if you are considering languages other than English which is apparently one of Colemak's strengths.

No, when you use a large enough corpus, Colemak consistently beats Dvorak on some measures, such as the same-finger ratio and the percentage of keystrokes on the home row/home keys.  I was just pointing out that Dvorak seems to beat Colemak on row-jumping, on outward rolls (if you think outward rolls are sub-optimal), and hand alternation (if you think this is good).

Actually, Colemak is very similar in its general characteristics to the Maltron layout, with the exception that it doesn't place E under the thumb, for obvious reasons.  This is why Colemak is an impressively good layout.

• Shai
    • Administrator

Even according to your statistics, Colemak is about equal to Dvorak on row-jumping.
    On the Mark Twain sample and the Lester Del Rey sample there's 0.7% row jumping for both Colemak and Dvorak. In the C# sample Colemak wins over Dvorak by a big margin (1.3% for Colemak vs. 1.8% for Dvorak). Anyway, the differences in row-jumping are well within the margin error, and aren't statistically significant.

Rolls are a matter of personal preference, but I don't think it makes a big difference one way or another. See for example the Dvorak talk page on Wikipedia. I personally view rolls, whether inward or outward, as a good thing.

Shai said:

Even according to your statistics, Colemak is about equal to Dvorak on row-jumping.
    On the Mark Twain sample and the Lester Del Rey sample there's 0.7% row jumping for both Colemak and Dvorak. In the C# sample Colemak wins over Dvorak by a big margin (1.3% for Colemak vs. 1.8% for Dvorak). Anyway, the differences in row-jumping are well within the margin error, and aren't statistically significant.

Since my last post I tried a few other samples and found a few where colemak had a lower row jumping incidence than Dvorak.  I also saw one where Dvorak won over Colemak by a large margin.  I guess we just need a bigger corpus.

By the way, those are not my statistics as I do not run that site; I am not Andrei Stanescu.

Rolls are a matter of personal preference, but I don't think it makes a big difference one way or another. See for example the Dvorak talk page on Wikipedia. I personally view rolls, whether inward or outward, as a good thing.

Like you, I am interested in keyboard design.  I was able to derive some interesting statistics from the mentioned site.

From a sample of text entered I got the following results for outwards finger rolls:

Alphabetical 10.3 %                   
    QWERTY    12.2 %               
    Dvorak    5.2 %               
    Colemak    11.3 %

Same hand:

Alphabetical 34.1 %               
    QWERTY    30.9 %               
    Dvorak    19.9 %               
    Colemak    25.7 %

Same finger:

Alphabetical 10.0 %               
    QWERTY    4.3 %               
    Dvorak    2.1 %               
    Colemak    1.5 %

Now, I wondered what would be the ratio of inwards rolls, and the ratio of inwards to outward rolls.  If you think about it there are only a few possible outcomes for the typing of a digram:

1) They alternate hands
    2) They are typed with the same finger
    3) They roll inwards
    4) They roll outwards

Since the site provides us with the hand alternation, same finger and outward roll rations, we can thus calculate the inward roll ratio, since the four factors should add up to 100% (barring rounding errors).

Thus I calculate the following ratio for inward rolls using the equation: (same hand) - (same finger) - (outward rolls) = (inward rolls).  This equation must hold, because if the digram does not change hands, there are only three possible outcomes: an inward roll, an outward roll, or same finger.  Thus, the inward rolls, outward rolls, and same finger ratios must add up to the same hand ratio.

I obtain the following results for inward rolls:

Alphabetical 13.8%               
    QWERTY    14.4%           
    Dvorak    12.6%               
    Colemak   12.9%

If I have not made a mathematical error, it would appear that Colemak and Dvorak have comparable rates of inward rolls, but Dvorak has far fewer outward rolls (5% vs 11%). 

We can then calculate the ratio of inwards to outwards rolls by dividing the inward roll ratio by the outward roll ratio:

Alphabetical 1.34           
    QWERTY      1.18       
    Dvorak      2.42           
    Colemak     1.14

Last edited by Ex-qwerty (20-Mar-2007 19:25:34)

Speaking of Mark Clemens, I think he said "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damed lies and statistics."

Now, I do think statistics can be useful if their function and limitations are understood.

I think the most important limitation of the statistics cited for this topic is that they refer to the board as a whole. This is important because the convince/inconvenience of row jumps, same finger use and rolls varies on where and how they occur in addition to user preference.

For example: QWERTZ doesn't improve has almost as many same finger occurrences as QWERTY for German, but not so many on the left pinky. This is important because using the same finger on adjacent keys of a strong finger is not bad or even slow. The board I'm using now has I and E on the right index finger, c and the left pinky and s and the left ring finger. I can type a string of ie or ei at about 300 to 330 characters per minute. For sc, I can do about 320 to 380, a little faster, but if I go over 330 cpm I tend to mess up a lot.

Statistically ei is a same finger occurrence and cs is a roll: ei bad, cs good. But more specifically cs is a concurrent use of two slow, clumsy fingers and ei is a sequential use of one fact, dexterous finger. They're about the same time wise, and ie is much more comfortable for me. My personal experience is that I'm less subject to fatigue when using my index and middle fingers. And I think this may by because the pinky and ring fingers share more muscles, but I'm not a biometrics specialist.

As for rolls, the most important factor for me is alternating hands between rolls (I do prefer inward rolls a little but outward rolls only bother me if they require a row change).

I think having all the vowels on one side is nice for the aesthetic appearance of organization. But the greatest benefit to me is not repeating roles on the same hand. But, at lest for the boards I have designed recently, placing all the vowels on one side does increase the use of the same finger by about 1 to 2%. But I don't mind this as long as I can keep the occurrences of same finger on the adjacent keys of a strong finger.

Jumping over the home row can bother me more than using the same finger, especially if it happens on the pinky and ring fingers. I don't even like jumping the home row on little fingers when there is a key in between. "Wax," for example is a horrible word to type on QWERTY or Colemak even though it uses rolls and avoids using the same finger and jumping the home row. So, the statistics we're using say it's good.

But there are row jumps I like, such as "evening" on qwerty which jumps the home row three times (e to v, n to i and i to n). But these jumps are from or to the index finger which very naturally moves in the opposite direction of the other fingers.

Aditya's KIWI at http://www.stoptheqtip.ca/files/Kiwiv157src.rar , the program I use for evolving layouts, has a separate statistic for home row jumps using the index finger. I haven't run Colemak through KIWI, but I did test Dvorak and Etna (a board with Colemak/ QWERTY like hand alternation).

Etna had 339 thousand home row jumps vs 134 thousand for Dvorak (the file was 10 billion letters of classic English, but KIWI tests trigrams in addition to diagrams so the occurrence is probably a little over proportion but still good for comparison).

On the face of it, etna has more than double the occurrence of home row jumps, but for jumps involving the index finger, Etna scores 208 thousand vs only 34 thousand for Dvorak.

Subtracting comfortable index finger jumps from the totals gives 131 vs 100 with Dvorak still in the lead but by a much more narrow margin.

So Colemak might be better with row jumping than Dvorak. But it's also important to note that a statistical difference of one percent represents 1 out of 100 keys. Because of this, a board with a same finger rate of 5% is not necessarily bad because it's only one out of 20 keys (I'd pay more attention to where the occurrences take place...I wouldn't consider using a board that placed i and e and the left pinky).

when you use a large enough corpus

With large samples, it's important to consider the nature of the large sample. It's probably compiled mostly of well known authors who wrote prior to the 21 century (In recent years present tense has became more fashionable). With the exception of play wrights, most classic writers write in the past tense and this will skew the statics more and more as you increase the size of the sample.

By the by, Dvorak seems better with German than it does with English for avoiding same finger usage.

"Things will get better despite our efforts to improve them" - Will Rogers
    "...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Can't say I've read this whole thread (yet), but someone brought this part to my attention:

Dvorak must have placed the U, instead of the I, under the left index finger in order to facilitate the typing of the most common vowel-vowel digram in English: OU.  In English, the vowel-vowel digrams involving U are considerably more common than those involving I.  If you will note, the Dvorak layout appears to be based more on facilitating the typing of digrams than on facilitating the typing of individual characters.  This is why U is on the Dvorak home row, even though it is about the 12th most common letter in English.

Vowel-vowel digrams with "I" are at least as common as those with "U"

OU is very common, but the other U-digrams are not.  Overall, I found I-digrams to be 30% more common.  Maybe OU would be even more common if my source text had more British English in it (since British English uses OU a lot, whereas American English uses just O in words like "colo(u)r").

Data from when I counted digrams for a typing-tutor program:

rank  digr count
    ---------------
    21   (ou, 670)
    159   (ue, 103)
    193   (au,  73)
    261   (eu,  38)
    250   (ua,  44)
    636   (uo,   2)
    ---------------
    SUM:       930

rank  digr count
    ---------------
    40   (io, 393)
    59   (ie, 309)
    106   (ai, 187)
    139   (ia, 133)
    143   (ei, 129)
    208   (oi,  66)
    ---------------
    SUM:      1217

I/U = 1217/930 = 1.308

If we were even to declare a tie based on just the digrams, "I" is still several times more common than "U" overall.  So.. I think Dvorak made a mistake by putting the U under the index finger (though I'm sure his intentions were good..).

just personal experience,

but I have noticed that OU has become one of the most reliable and very fast movements I do when typing using Colemak layout.   100% accuracy at top speed.  I would have not thought so to begin with but my hand has gotten quite comfortable with it.

I have become pretty fast and accurate at "TION" and "ING" also.

Last edited by keyboard samurai (04-May-2007 18:07:07)

Update: Andrei Stanescu has put my emails to him on his site with links from his Dvorak page, in a gesture of very polite disagreement!  :)

capewell said:

OU is very common, but the other U-digrams are not.  Overall, I found I-digrams to be 30% more common.  Maybe OU would be even more common if my source text had more British English in it (since British English uses OU a lot, whereas American English uses just O in words like "colo(u)r").

[...]

If we were even to declare a tie based on just the digrams, "I" is still several times more common than "U" overall.  So.. I think Dvorak made a mistake by putting the U under the index finger (though I'm sure his intentions were good..).

Which text did you use? Testing with egrep the "egrep -c 'ai|oi|ei|ia|io|ie' / egrep -c 'au|ou|eu|ua|uo|ue' ratio is:

26312 / 30877 (simple english bible)
    1181 / 1334 (alice in wonderland)

I checked and the different use of OU in some words in American English vs British English doesn't seem to matter much.  So up to 15% less I bigrams compared to U digrams in large texts. Even so the more convenient placement of the OU doesn't seem to weigh up against the additional finger movement resulting from the I not being under the left index finger in Dvorak (up to 7% more finger travel). So it seems there was indeed a mistake here - does anyone know how this mistake could have slipped in?

Last edited by fsiefken (31-Dec-2007 16:49:11)

No idea, fsiefken. I have a feeling the august Mr. Dvorak must've had a reason for it although I feel it must've been a wrong one.

I don't think you're calculating the digram frequencies right though. You'd have to account for all digrams and not just vocal-to-vocal ones. And that'd make for a rather hefty egrep command line!

DreymaR said:

I don't think you're calculating the digram frequencies right though. You'd have to account for all digrams and not just vocal-to-vocal ones. And that'd make for a rather hefty egrep command line!

I was just testing Ex-qwerty's vowel-vowel digram idea which Capewell refuted:

Ex-qwerty said:

Dvorak must have placed the U, instead of the I, under the left index finger in order to facilitate the typing of the most common vowel-vowel digram in English: OU.  In English, the vowel-vowel digrams involving U are considerably more common than those involving I.

But you are essentially correct, but even so it would be even more complex as one would also have to factor in the cost of digram finger movement which differs for each non vowel-vowel digram. Fortunately most of the vowel-vowel digrams are in the top digram list for the left dvarok hand and comprise around 75% of the total left-hand letter digrams. So one could leave them out of the preliminary analysis to get an idea what the result would probably be... or so I hope.

Here is the count of left-hand letter digrams for the dvorak layout in the simple english bible:

1649 ou
    741 ai
    222 io
    219 qu
    215 up
    212 ki
    206 ie
    169 ue
    134 pi
    126 oi
    109 ei
    102 ju
    98 ik
    90 ui
    83 pu
    81 au
    52 yi
    45 ia
    23 xi
    23 ua
    23 ip
    12 iu
    10 ix
    3 uo
    1 ku
    1 eu

1649 ou
    741 ai
    222 io
    206 ie
    169 ue
    126 oi
    109 ei
    90 ui
    81 au
    45 ia
    23 ua
    12 iu
    3 uo
    1 eu

I thought some more about finding out if it really was a mistake and how to weigh the higher I frequency compared to the U frequency with the OU frequency compared to the OI frequency and come up with this approximation to count the reduction of finger movement when switching the U and the I:

((i + i-vowel digrams left hand) - (freq u + u-vowel digrams))

simple english bible: (57920 + 26312)  - (44997 + 30877)
    alice in wonderland: (2587 + 1181) - (2042 + 1334)
    Effects of 884MHz GSM Wireless Communication Signals on Self-reported Symptoms and Sleep: (111+74) - (99+56)
    dutch text: (62+56) - (56+37)

In my native language the OU digram doesn't occur as frequently making the benefit of switching the U and I even greater.

Last edited by fsiefken (01-Jan-2008 15:27:04)
    DreymaR said:

– I don't know Apple's research. But when editing I use mouse and shortcuts together – I'm not sure that's what Apple tested? You can't do that with two hands, of course.

Are you aware about mouse-only editing? Without pop-up menus, I mean. Yes, you can copy/cut/paste using just your mouse and its buttons. I tried it once, but I don't remember the procedures anymore, sorry.

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

spremino said:

Are you aware about mouse-only editing? Without pop-up menus, I mean. Yes, you can copy/cut/paste using just your mouse and its buttons. I tried it once, but I don't remember the procedures anymore, sorry.

On UNIX/X11 systems, select (with left mouse button) is copy and middle mouse button is paste.  Right mouse button extends the copy selection.  No keyboard required either.

That Apple quote was originally written in 1989 about people that were still refusing to use mice at all.  It's quoted often, but usually with little understanding of what it actually means.

Jeff Atwood clears it up nicely: https://blog.codinghorror.com/revisitin … ouse-pt-1/

• Index
      • General
      • My correspondence with the Siteuri keyboard layout site's creator: