• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • A little help with a common portuguese bigram

A little help with a common portuguese bigram

• Started by Phantom
    • 2 Replies:

Hi, I've been using Colemak for about 2 weeks after using Dvorak for a year.

It's not easy, I have to admit, and I'm feeling a pain that might or might not be De Quervain tenosynovitis... That´s not why I'm here though.

I'm currently using Colemak-DHk (yes, I know, it's just that M on the lower row feels more natural to me) and it has been a good experience so far. I noticed, however, that the finger travel between L and H troubles me (a lot) since many words I write daily have LH+vowel. It's a bigram that's way to common for me to ignore. Using vanilla's H placement is a no for me, I'd rather not use a compose key, and I don´t know what to do. Does anyone have any tips in mind?

Instead of a Compose key, you could use a custom dead key. I've actually moved mine to to a thumb key position (using Windows Registry remapping through SharpKeys), and it's absolutely great. I use it to delete whole word, type punctuation-then-space and other useful tricks. But you could have it output, say, LH on {DK,H}. Or LH<vowel> on {DK,<vowel>}. Capitalizing the release character should capitalize the L, which is feasible.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the idea DreymaR, I've spent the last two days testing Ext + H and AltGr + H to output LH, but I'm finding AltGr better so far, so it's likely I'll be keeping that.

I also noticed that I ended up setting à on AltGr + A, so I might also test AltGr + N to output NH since I could easily get NHà with AltGr + N + A instead of the usual N + H + {DK} + A. Moving my pinky to press the tilde is horrendous and I always hated it, even back in qwerty.

• Index
      • General
      • A little help with a common portuguese bigram