• You are not logged in.

dead key for grave accent stopped working

• Started by outreal
    • 16 Replies:

Hi,

It's the first time I post in this forum. I've been using colemak for about 6 months and I really love it. It's a real improvement compared to qwerty or azerty (the french keyboard, which is still worse than qwerty).

I use colemak on windows at work and on linux at home.

But what brings me here is that I'm having a little problem that appeared one week ago: the dead key for grave accent (AltGr+ R)just stopped working. All other dead keys like acute and circumflex still work. I don't have any clues about ther origin of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome!

However, you didn't specify whether the problem occurs on Windows or on Linux, and what implementation you are using...

ghen said:

Welcome!

ghen said:

However, you didn't specify whether the problem occurs on Windows or on Linux, and what implementation you are using...

The problem happens on windows. But I don't know what to answer for the implementation... I installed it using the installer... Hope it helps!

That's odd, the Windows installer should be the most stable, as Colemak is implemented as a "native" keyboard layout there.

Does the grave accent still work with other layouts, eg. US International?  Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling Colemak?

ghen said:

That's odd, the Windows installer should be the most stable, as Colemak is implemented as a "native" keyboard layout there.

Does the grave accent still work with other layouts, eg. US International?  Have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling Colemak?

My "normal" keyboard is a french one. There, everything works ok. I just tried with a brazilian layout and I can use all accents, too.

Recently, I installed the GTK libraries. Is there any chances that it might be capturing some keystrokes?

I really don't know where to search...

Thanks.

outreal said:

Recently, I installed the GTK libraries. Is there any chances that it might be capturing some keystrokes?

Only within GTK applications, normally.

Within GTK apps, does Ctrl+Alt+R yield the expected result?

I really don't know where to search...

As suggested, have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Colemak?

ghen said:

Within GTK apps, does Ctrl+Alt+R yield the expected result?

No. Grave accents don't work anywhere. I tried uninstalling the GTK libraries and rebooting, to no avail.

ghen said:

As suggested, have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Colemak?

Yes, I tried. To be on the safe side, I uninstalled Colemak, rebooted, installed it again. Still doesn't work.

It's really weird. For instance, if I hit AltGr+X two times, I get "^^", which is normal. AltGr+R outputs absolutely nothing.

Is there any chance you have Ctrl-Alt-R mapped to a desktop or start menu shortcut?

rajagra said:

Is there any chance you have Ctrl-Alt-R mapped to a desktop or start menu shortcut?

I don't know how to be sure about that. On a Linux system, I would find very easily where global shortcuts reside, on Windows, I don't even know where to look for them.

All I can say is that nothing seems to happen when a hit AltGr+R, absolutely nothing. No menus, no state changes, no cpu extra load...

This little program might help: https://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb … ic=18189.0
    (it won't tell you what a hotkey is bound to or by which application, but it will tell you whether it is "taken" or not)

ghen said:

This little program might help: https://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb … ic=18189.0
    (it won't tell you what a hotkey is bound to or by which application, but it will tell you whether it is "taken" or not)

Thanks for this application. Selecting Alt+Ctrl ant then Alphabetical, it shows that two hotkeys are active, Alt+Ctrl+K and Alt+Ctrl+R. I know which app is using K, but I don't know whick one is using R.

At least, that proves that it is definitely a hotkey issue. "All" i have to do know is to find which one is using it...

Solved!

Thanks very much, ghen, for your help. After knowing that the hotkey was in you use, I started stopping, one by one, the applications running on my pc. And the winner was... RocketDock, which was recently updated. It registers the Ctrl+Alt+R shortcut but never uses it, AFAIK. Moreover, you can't change it in it's settings window. So I started looking in the registry and found the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RocketDock\HotKey-Toggle

I changed it to "" (nothing) and now everything works again.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by outreal (18-Nov-2009 12:10:37)

Great! :-)

(it was actually rajagra who came up with the hotkey suggestion)

Enjoy Colemak'ing!

ghen said:

Great! :-)

(it was actually rajagra who came up with the hotkey suggestion)

Hehe, sorry rajagra, I forgot you in the credits :) Thanks everybody!

ghen said:

Enjoy Colemak'ing!

As I side note, I'd like to say that I really enjoy Colemak. It's sooooo much easier to touch type with this layout! I tried learning to touch type on brazilian and french keyboards, but they're horrible (specially AZERTY).

Yep, here in Belgium most people use AZERTY too.  Totally horrible!  I haven't used it for more than 10 years (always used QWERTY) and I'm still dazzled every time I see this layout on a public computer's keyboard. :-P

Ah, I totally agree with you! I am brazilian and I've been living in France for about ten years. I got used to the AZERTY (that's all I had :D) but it's simply awful, specially for a developer. For example, I never understood WHY they put all those important keys on the number row, accessible with AltGr ({ ,[, |, \, @, ], } ). It's simply unusable for programming.

To start learning colemak, I bought a standard US keyboard and switched a few letters, and have been happy since then :)

Nowadays, I really touch-type, that's really great. It's very comfortable, specially to type plain text, as I can look through the window while typing :)

Thank you guys for the idea ! I had the same problem, in my case was the NVIDIA overlay on my pc that took the key Ctrl + Alt + R. It was sufficient to delete that key binding or remap it to solve the issue!