• You are not logged in.

How many days of practice until basic proficiency?

• Started by coconut
  • 27 Replies:

Given concerted daily effort, what sort of progress could one expect when switching layouts? Say, doing three half-hour sessions per day of focused effort (would more than that actually be useful?). How many days would it take to be proficient enough at least to survive a workday that involves typing?

Could one become at least marginally proficient over an intense 3.5-day weekend (that is, starting on a Friday after work and practicing until Monday night)? I need to be able to type at least at reasonable speed for work. I'm currently at 60 wpm with dvorak, but it's been years and I've forgotton exactly how long it took me to make the switch from qwerty. I'm considering going with a custom fully-optimized layout, probably from carpalx.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict.

I switched from QWERTY nearly two years ago. I decided to switch during a week off work to give myself a bit of time to adjust, and I think that helped a lot. As I recall, I practised for at least a couple of hours a day and when I went back to work I was comfortable enough with Colemak to not remember it being a problem. As you are already an experienced typist I expect you'd have a similar experience to me. A week should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how things go with the carplax layout you choose.

Edit: I touch typed QWERTY at ~50wpm.

Last edited by simonh (25-Jan-2010 22:14:06)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

If you train as much as you can, and get rid of the printout as soon as you can, I'd expect you could make it over a weekend. But that of course, depends on how typing intensive your work is. The absolutely worst part for me was when I was below 20 WPM, but I made it past that threshold after just two days with printout, three without. Do you know how fast you need to be able to type?

Last edited by kqr (25-Jan-2010 22:18:21)

I would do the ol' Colemak at home, Qwerty at work. That way, you can switch whenever you are ready. I would expect no longer than a month until you're comfortable enough to switch.

I'm considering going with a custom fully-optimized layout, probably from carpalx.

As has been previously discussed on the forums, Colemak is pretty much "fully optimized". In a sense, among the space of near-optimal keyboard layouts, Shai has chosen the one that bears the most resemblance to qwerty. It doesn't mean that it's any less optimised.

As you change metrics, naturally some layouts will come out slightly ahead. It doesn't necessarily translate to a faster or more comfortable layout.

kqr said:

If you train as much as you can, and get rid of the printout as soon as you can, I'd expect you could make it over a weekend. But that of course, depends on how typing intensive your work is. The absolutely worst part for me was when I was below 20 WPM, but I made it past that threshold after just two days with printout, three without. Do you know how fast you need to be able to type?

Software development. Using Emacs.

Could be worse, I suppose. Could be using vim {ducks!}. :)

Regarding going without the printout: when I was learning dvorak, I didn't consciously try to get rid of the printout. I just used it as-needed and then slowly tapered off. My hunch is that your approach of trying to ween off the printout more quickly sounds better. Thanks.

simonh said:

Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict.

I switched from QWERTY nearly two years ago. I decided to switch during a week off work to give myself a bit of time to adjust, and I think that helped a lot.

Alas, I took time off over the holidays, and so have no vacation time until probably summer. I think it's a good idea though.

simonh said:

As I recall, I practised for at least a couple of hours a day and when I went back to work I was comfortable enough with Colemak to not remember it being a problem. As you are already an experienced typist I expect you'd have a similar experience to me. A week should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how things go with the carplax layout you choose.

Thanks. Will do. Also, still trying to work up the courage to take the plunge. :) Seems like the faster you can already type, the more you feel like you have to lose by retraining.

tomlu said:

I would do the ol' Colemak at home, Qwerty at work. That way, you can switch whenever you are ready. I would expect no longer than a month until you're comfortable enough to switch.

Once I switched to dvorak, I completely lost the ability to touch-type qwerty. Knowing myself, I don't think there's any way I could do both simultaneously, but thanks anyway.

tomlu said:

I'm considering going with a custom fully-optimized layout, probably from carpalx.

As has been previously discussed on the forums, Colemak is pretty much "fully optimized". In a sense, among the space of near-optimal keyboard layouts, Shai has chosen the one that bears the most resemblance to qwerty. It doesn't mean that it's any less optimised.

As you change metrics, naturally some layouts will come out slightly ahead. It doesn't necessarily translate to a faster or more comfortable layout.

Well, I've got no reason to try to stay similar to qwerty, since my fingers already know dvorak. :)

Also, I do software development, and was considering even relocating some punctuation. When I can make some time, I'd like to try and play around with carpalx + some differenent corpuses (corpi?) of material (half source code, half american english text) to see if it looks worthwhile to touch punctuation. For one thing, I think I'd like the hyphen somewhere a little easier to reach. For another, parentheses. I'm a Kinesis Contoured/Advantage user, so the locations of Backspace, Delete, Space, Enter, and all the modifiers are fine where they are. Might send the arrow keys packing though to make room for some more-often-used keys though.

But I see your point about Colemak. I noticed this figure at the carpalx website http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/carpalx/?popular_alternatives and Colemak certainly seems to do *very* well there.

Also, I do software development, and was considering even relocating some punctuation.

Relocating only a couple of the punctuation symbols will help only a little. There are about 25 symbols that are used more or less commonly when programming, so it's hard to fit them all where they can be easily reached.

You could try to use a symbol layout "underneath" the alphabetic keys, which is accessed with alternate shift keys. This layout can be optimised (frequency, rolls) for whatever combination of programming languages you use. I've done this myself for over a year and it's considerably more significant for programming comfort than a different layout.

As for the question how many days it will take to be proficient, in my experience this can be very different for "plain text" than for "action keys".  When typing plain text (like e-mail, ...), I can somewhat easily switch my brain from Colemak back to Qwerty, and mistakes can be corrected anyway.  But for keyboard-driven programs, like mutt, vi, or in your case emacs, it will cause a lot more confusion (initially, or when switching between layouts later), and errors are less easily corrected (and potentially destructive).

Just something to keep in mind.

coconut said:

Software development. Using Emacs.

Regarding going without the printout: when I was learning dvorak, I didn't consciously try to get rid of the printout. I just used it as-needed and then slowly tapered off. My hunch is that your approach of trying to ween off the printout more quickly sounds better. Thanks.

I postponed typing code (only as a hobby) to a week or so, after I made the switch. I didn't try before, but I was afraid it would be too much to learn both the letters and the special characters at once. (I used Swedish QWERTY before, and that one's got the special symbols scattered all over the place in the most inconvenient locations you can think of.)

If you feel like the Emacs shortcut thingeys won't be a problem, and you know the special symbols, then shoot. As a side note I might add that I use vim, and other than having to think a little before I used the shortcuts, that was no problem. Yeah, I made mistakes sometimes, but those were not more dangerous than a 'u' could undo.

Yeah, getting rid of the printout is a double-edged blade or what you call it. It forces you to remember the key's positions, but as I got rid of it after just a day of practise, I did shitloads of typos. If these slowed down my learning, I don't know. (I.e. thinking of a letter but typing the wrong one might make an unnecessary connection in me brainz.)

I have been using colemak for about a month now, having switched from somewhere between 50 and 60 wpm on qwerty, and am up to 46 wpm with an error rate of 6 on keybr.com's test today. I have spent a total of 13 hours or so on that site over the last month (it totalizes for you), and probably as much again on other typing tutors. 

Typing was a real mission the first two weeks, after which I could start functioning semi-normally again (say 25 wpm, with lots of concentration - it was very difficult typing emails and trying to think of what I wanted to type and how to type it at the same time. Thus typing tests which supply the text were much much easier to type that emails etc.).

I switched cold turkey, but did relabel my keyboard, since I do a lot of one handed typing in applications such as Autocad. The switch became much easier once I put the labels on. I don't think that the argument that it allows you to cheat by looking down is a very strong one, especially if you have touch typed before - just don't look down! I used a brother label printer to print labels for the keys.  With rounded corners they don't peal.

I still have a bunch of habits that bug me a little, especially combinations that I used to type with one hand out of touch typing position - say Alt F,S to save, or cd (as in change directory) - old habits.  But is is getting easier every day, and my speed keeps improving by 1 or 2 wpm per day on keybr.com.

All in all I am very happy with my decision to switch - the layout is starting to feel really smooth and easy now (much better that qwerty), and I think there is still a lot of speed as my fingers learn to quickly do common combinations of letters. The rolls took a long time to become habit, but are really starting to kick in now.

I ended up disabling qwerty completely in the control panel, setting colemak as the only layout, because otherwise every now and again an app would start up in the wrong layout.

My feeling would be that it would be a LOT more difficult to learn colemak while maintaining qwerty than just switching cold turkey.

kqr said:

Yeah, getting rid of the printout is a double-edged blade or what you call it.

double-edged sword

kqr said:

It forces you to remember the key's positions, but as I got rid of it after just a day of practise, I did shitloads of typos. If these slowed down my learning, I don't know. (I.e. thinking of a letter but typing the wrong one might make an unnecessary connection in me brainz.)

Yes. I think there's a balance point in there to hit: struggle long enough to make your muscle-memory learn, but not too long else you're just making mistakes with minimal learning happening.

Last edited by coconut (26-Jan-2010 17:55:12)
aubug said:

I have been using colemak for about a month now, having switched from somewhere between 50 and 60 wpm on qwerty, and am up to 46 wpm with an error rate of 6 on keybr.com's test today. I have spent a total of 13 hours or so on that site over the last month (it totalizes for you), and probably as much again on other typing tutors.

Thanks for the link. keybr.com looks pretty useful.

aubug said:

Typing was a real mission the first two weeks,

Yes, now that you mention that, I think I'm beginning to recall that the first 2 weeks were the toughest... still though, that was a while ago, and I'm beginning to think that I might actually be able to get at least *somewhere* over a 3-day weekend...

Has anyone plotted their typing speed progress over the course of their first days/weeks? Would be an interesting curve to see.

aubug said:

after which I could start functioning semi-normally again (say 25 wpm, with lots of concentration - it was very difficult typing emails and trying to think of what I wanted to type and how to type it at the same time. Thus typing tests which supply the text were much much easier to type that emails etc.).

I switched cold turkey, but did relabel my keyboard, since I do a lot of one handed typing in applications such as Autocad. The switch became much easier once I put the labels on. I don't think that the argument that it allows you to cheat by looking down is a very strong one, especially if you have touch typed before - just don't look down! I used a brother label printer to print labels for the keys.  With rounded corners they don't peal.

Thing is, with the labels, I've found that they do eventually come off. And when they do, they leave this sticky glue-residue behind that's difficult to get rid of.

aubug said:

My feeling would be that it would be a LOT more difficult to learn colemak while maintaining qwerty than just switching cold turkey.

I agree.

Last edited by coconut (26-Jan-2010 18:11:55)
aubug said:

cd (as in change directory)

That one bugs me too!

coconut said:

double-edged sword

Ah, thank you. Always found that one to be a strange expression.

coconut said:

Has anyone plotted their typing speed progress over the course of their first days/weeks?

Of course. I've done some more typing since, but I guess you're most interested in the first days?

kqr said:
coconut said:

Has anyone plotted their typing speed progress over the course of their first days/weeks?

Of course. I've done some more typing since, but I guess you're most interested in the first days?

Heh. Of course. :) Thanks very much for that plot. Is the x-axis days or weeks? (I assume the y-axis is wpm.)

Sorry, how unscientific of me not to label the axes. The x-axis is days and you're correct about the y-axis.

By the way, the slight dip between f(2) and f(3) is when I trashed the printout.

Last edited by kqr (26-Jan-2010 18:33:32)
kqr said:

Sorry, how unscientific of me not to label the axes. The x-axis is days and you're correct about the y-axis.

Whoa! If that's "days", then that's nice progress!

Not sure how you managed 14 wpm on day one. For me, on day one (when I switched to dvorak), each *letter* was a big struggle. :)

Last edited by coconut (26-Jan-2010 18:48:02)
coconut said:

Not sure how you managed 14 wpm on day one. For me, on day one (when I switched to dvorak), each *letter* was a big struggle. :)

I knew beforehand a lot of the letters were on the same position as where they are on QWERTY, and only one or two shifted hand, so one letter every 4.3 seconds is possible the first day using a printout. ;)

Here's typing champion Ryan Heise's progress:

progress.png

He's really good though; if you can match his speeds I'll call you a champion too.  :)

If you're really astute about it, I suppose you could benefit from about five half-hour training sessions a day - or more, depending on how you're wired. It'd be important to train properly and with both physical and mental variation.

Not sure whether you might benefit from the Tarmak (Colemak transitional layout)? With that, you learn one hand at a time so you can focus on fewer keys which should make learning easier. Easier, but I don't think we have data on whether it'd also be faster! Ezuk here learnt it that way but he went at a leisurely pace (more focused on how comfortable it was to learn that way).

Last edited by DreymaR (27-Jan-2010 10:14:20)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the great plot, DreymarR.

For me, two weeks of training exercises, then a week of mostly colemak as much as i can bear it, switching back to dvorak when i had a lot to type. now i've had two weeks of exclusively colemak, i'm about 43wpm and it's no longer frustrating to type. my dvorak skill is now totally dead so i have no option of going back, but i don't want to! i really like the feel of colemak, it's so comfortable :)

@semoa, how long were you typing with Dvorak before you changed?

Last edited by pinkyache (27-Feb-2011 15:20:36)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

sermoa said:

For me, two weeks of training exercises, then a week of mostly colemak as much as i can bear it, switching back to dvorak when i had a lot to type. now i've had two weeks of exclusively colemak, i'm about 43wpm and it's no longer frustrating to type. my dvorak skill is now totally dead so i have no option of going back, but i don't want to! i really like the feel of colemak, it's so comfortable :)

QWERTY is now quite inconvenient to type with for me.  I have been using Colemak for close to a month, haven't been particularly dedicated with my practice but touch type about 30 wpm. It has been a little frustrating for me, but I understand, and appreciate that after 12 months practice I will be as proficient as I was with QWERTY.   It is just a matter of time.

I did an hour of colemak each night for about a week and then started using it full-time at work. After the second week I'm at 30wpm and its starting to feel a little less frustrating. The words are beginning to flow by themselves which lets my brain think about what I'm writing. I gain a few wpm each day.
I also program a lot, and have remapped my symbols. I use the alt key as a modifier and have many symbols on my left hand. Alt plus my right hand produces arrows, which is awesome for movement and scrolling through command history and browser address bars etc. I'm totally in love with this. Not having to move my hand to the arrows is a massive bonus I recommend to everyone. The Colemak vim layout does the same but its great to extend this to everything

Last edited by innovine (10-Mar-2011 17:04:34)

It took me roughly 3 weeks to reach half of my previous QWERTY speed, which is easily enough to do anything without getting frustrated.
progress_graph.png

For reference: all of my experiences