• You are not logged in.

Daily log, qwerty and colemak

• Started by Comit
    • 6 Replies:

Hi all, I'd like to share a log I have been keeping to help visualize and document the learning curve.

I have been using qwerty for about 20 years now. I decided to switch because I just have a thing for efficient techniques, but also as brain exercise since I haven't been to school in 8 years and worried it's getting a lil' "stale" :P

I did the first 4 lesson in typefaster, but most practice comes from hi-games and IM'ing.

Below are my highs on 1 minute hi-games. My regular average tends to be 3-5 under max for the day.

link.do?id=f0b9b3feaa

(I could probably score higher in qwerty if I spent more time warming up to get back "in the mode", but I'd rather not throw off my training too much. I been doing the 5 minute hi-game test to warm up, then do a 1 minute test.)

Check back as I will be updating the chart.

Last edited by Comit (23-Feb-2011 05:47:24)

Nice graph Comit. Keep it up!

I have not practised Qwerty when my Colemak speed reached 30wpm. Mostly I use my own laptop and office desktop, so I do not have to retain Qwerty skills.

Last edited by Tony_VN (23-Feb-2011 10:16:21)

The chart would imply that I had a learning "shock" initially, harming qwerty, but I'm finding it easier to switch back now ;)

Day 8: 40!...at this point I doubt I can continue to break the high every day. Maybe every few days. It's getting hard to improve. Though my qwerty is just about back to normal now. Only takes maybe 30 seconds to fully adjust.

Last edited by Comit (25-Feb-2011 02:08:06)

40 at day 8 is pretty good, but of course you will not keep improving linearly like this. ;-)

Just keep practicing, you'll reach those 80s some day.

humortyping.gif

Oh I suppose you need to use Colemak full time to improve speed further. Otherwise, your progress will be slowed down.

Last edited by Tony_VN (25-Feb-2011 15:49:30)

Skipping 2 days...due to a some technical complications I've been stuck in qwerty all weekend (long story). Fortunately I could still hit my high today, so you don't forget that quickly :)