• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Developer Preview has Colemak built-in!

Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Developer Preview has Colemak built-in!

• Started by boli
  • 33 Replies:

Thank you for the feedback!  I really like the macmini and is the only mac I would consider buying.

Just out of curiosity though do you think Apples 27" LCD is worth $1k?

Doesn't seem to work in StarCraft II even though the Apple Colemak is in the special AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle... :\

I really wonder why QWERTZ and Dvorak work while Colemak doesn't.

Relevant thread at the Battle.net forums by the very same boli: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/443018011

Indeed, it still doesn't work. I had already tried it in Snow Leopard with the Lion (Developer Preview) keyboard bundle and came to the conclusion that it's most likely a StarCraft 2 bug.
But like I wrote in the thread you linked I don't care anymore, as I found the "grid" setting to be vastly superior to the regular shortcut keys in SC2. :)

Last edited by boli (29-Jul-2011 19:13:05)

In the latest patch notes they mentioned fixing AZERTY for the grid layout. I doubt they look for Dvorak in the SC2 code, I don't think anyone would like to play SC2 with Dvorak without the ability to customize hotkeys.

Doesn't really matter I suppose, nearly all my issues with Colemak on OS X are solved by using KeyRemap4MacBook which translates Colemak input to QWERTY, the main downside is that I don't have the same alt key layout as the real Colemak. Not only SC2 has this particular input issue, Valve games do too.

YAY! I solved it! I can now use Colemak without stupid hacks in SC2!

I opened up SC2 in IDA Pro, and found something interesting: it uses the proper API for unicode keys etc IF the keyboard is "central european". Simply opening Colemak up in Ukulele and setting it to Central European solves every Colemak problem in SC2 (login screen etc).

anders said:

YAY! I solved it! I can now use Colemak without stupid hacks in SC2!

I opened up SC2 in IDA Pro, and found something interesting: it uses the proper API for unicode keys etc IF the keyboard is "central european". Simply opening Colemak up in Ukulele and setting it to Central European solves every Colemak problem in SC2 (login screen etc).

Oooh, very interesting. I suppose this screws up the grid layout preset, since it seems to have been made for QWERTY?

Update: No, grid layout still works fine even after this change. How very awesome! Thanks a lot anders!

Last edited by boli (13-Aug-2011 13:56:52)

Yes, the grid layout is perfect. It even displays the proper keys if you've enabled that :D

anders said:

Yes, the grid layout is perfect. It even displays the proper keys if you've enabled that :D

For some reason a few keys are still in their QWERTY position when watching/controlling replays - other than that, all is well. :)

Last edited by boli (31-Aug-2011 08:23:50)
endaka said:

Colemak is also available in the iOS 5 beta, although only for physical (Bluetooth / Keyboard Dock) keyboards and for English (US).

now that iOS 5 is released  just in time for my iPad 2 coming this Tuesday,  this case with bluetooth keyboard is going to be AWESOME !!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HMO6A6?tag=ele2550-20

Trent Aluminum case with bluetooth keyboard

• Index
  • Technical
  • Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Developer Preview has Colemak built-in!