• You are not logged in.

One-hand, predictive text keyboard for injured typists.

• Started by pkamb
    • 3 Replies:

Hi all, this is One-Hand Keyboard, my one-hand keyboard software. I'm a Dvorak typist myself, but I wanted to announce it to all the keyboard/typing enthusiasts out there. I included Colemak support. If you're ever injured and need to type with one hand for some time, give it a try.

It's based on two-hand touch typing muscle memory, which means if you're already a touch typist you'll be able to type -- fast -- with one hand in minutes.

http://www.onehandkeyboard.org

How it works: Examine how the (QWERTY) keyboard is laid out. The motion you use to type "G" is the same motion you use to type "H". Index finger, home row, towards the center of the keyboard. Same with "E" and "I": middle finger, top row. It's the same motion, but with the other hand.

Let's say you broke a few fingers on your right hand. You can only use your left hand to type. Using Limber, all left-hand characters are typed normally. When you come to a right-hand character, type the left-hand equivalent instead. It's the same motion as the key you should be typing, the only difference is that you're using your good hand instead of the injured one.

Our brains are amazing. Your left hand already has the muscle memory to type right-hand characters. It's kinda like that thing where you can't draw a circle with one hand and a square with the other at the same time. The wires are crossing somewhere.

As an example, to type "this" you would hit the keys "tges". Left-hand characters are typed normally, and for right-hand characters type the left-hand equivalent instead. [So "this" is "tges" in QWERTY, "tdrs" in Colemak, "euia" in Dvorak]

So the raw key input "tges" is gibberish, made up of all left-hand keys. My software runs predictive text algorithms as the input is coming in. So it always appears as if you're typing the most likely word, "this".

Who it's for: Stay productive and code/write while your finger is sprained or your arm is in a cast. Also for recent amputees and other permanent injuries. Or hold a baby in one hand, type with the other. Or mouse with one hand, type with the other. Etc.

Is this technique of interest to anyone here? There's a Colemak option in Limber settings. I just tried it out with the Windows Colemak file hosted on this site and it seems to work well, I'd love to hear from anyone who tries it in Colemak or any other layout.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by pkamb (14-Jan-2015 02:41:27)

So tell me, I'm a little confused about the replacements, do you use a mirror of the other hand or a transposition?

I like the idea.

In another thread a suggested Dvorak might be an easy candidate to just throw away the left hand side of the keyboard.  Replacing it with one button.  That could even be the space bar.  I'd assume predictive algorithms would easily guess vowel replacement.  What do you think?

The computer I'm using now has a load of broken keys, and I keep having to toggle between layouts.  It's doable but not ideal.

Certainly interested in this.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

So tell me, I'm a little confused about the replacements, do you use a mirror of the other hand or a transposition?

I like the idea.

In another thread a suggested Dvorak might be an easy candidate to just throw away the left hand side of the keyboard.  Replacing it with one button.  That could even be the space bar.  I'd assume predictive algorithms would easily guess vowel replacement.  What do you think?

The computer I'm using now has a load of broken keys, and I keep having to toggle between layouts.  It's doable but not ideal.

Certainly interested in this.

The keyboard is basically mirrored at the center line. So 'F' and 'J' map together, 'D' and 'K', etc. It's always the same finger, same row, same motion. The only difference is that it's mirrored and on the other hand.

You said your computer has broken keys... do you mean Limber breaks them, or that they're broken in general? This is very untested with various Colemak implementation and I'm not sure how it will react to them, so I'm a bit nervous :)

Basically, let your muscle memory take over. Just start typing, don't think about it too much. Let me know if there's anything else I can explain.

No what I meant was my laptop has a physically (or electrically) broken keyboard.  Not a broken limber.

On the laptop I switch between Dvorak and Qwerty to cover my broken keys.  What surprised me is that your brain can almost cope with this!

I'm assuming your software is for windows.  So not so easy for me to try - but I will give it a go when I'm able to.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.