• Started by noctua
  • 49 Replies:

I'm sure most of us know sometimes the frustration on word's like
'You', 'Your', 'Thoughts'.. and yes we should type these either
slower or even more carefully.

Sometimes it makes me jumpy resp. nervous, especially on
races against others.. so if i would change z <-> y what
would happen..

Bad idea? (never change an running layout..)

Last edited by noctua (26-Jun-2011 19:09:21)

According to Amphetype analysis of my typing

you, 90wpm, 3 mistakes out of 129 times
your,  78wpm, 2 mistakes out of 32 times
yours, 42wpm, 1 mistake out of 3 times.
thought, 83wpm, 0 mistakes out of 8 times

My slowest words, also according to that analysis
I'll, 32wpm
He's, 33wpm
twice, 37wpm
gift, 38wpm
afternoon, 39wpm
black, 40wpm

So each person got some different difficult words to type. Good that Amphetype can do statistics and produce lessons based on the slowest words.

Last edited by Tony_VN (27-Jun-2011 03:17:08)
noctua said:

I'm sure most of us know sometimes the frustration on word's like
'You', 'Your', 'Thoughts'.. and yes we should type these either
slower or even more carefully.

Sometimes it makes me jumpy resp. nervous, especially on
races against others.. so if i would change z <-> y what
would happen..

Bad idea? (never change an running layout..)

Or you could try Dvorak, the "ou" bigram on Dvorak is very fast and comfortable. Another option is to try Imak which a has very fast "you" with almost the same alternation as dvorak but with lower same finger ratio as colemak and balanced between the right and the left hand. However, Imak is still under testing and if you are interested to try it out with no guarantee except that you should be able to type  60+ WPM, then tell me.

huhh Imak.. never heard from this new one, so let's see the layout
i'm interested alway in improving ergonomics and of course
typing speed.. ;)

i hope to type +90WPM with what, because i'm typing
already 80WPM with colemak.. ;) (just kidding)

nimbostratue said:

Or you could try Dvorak, the "ou" bigram on Dvorak is very fast and comfortable. Another option is to try Imak which a has very fast "you" with almost the same alternation as dvorak but with lower same finger ratio as colemak and balanced between the right and the left hand. However, Imak is still under testing and if you are interested to try it out with no guarantee except that you should be able to type  60+ WPM, then tell me.

Indeed, thoughts, you & your are very comfortable on Dvorak. Thanks for recommending me Dvorak nimbostratue. Been practising for 3 weeks now & can average 65wpm and miraculously, no pain on the right pinky! very comfortable.

Last edited by Jin (28-Jun-2011 20:01:34)
Jin said:
nimbostratue said:

Indeed, thoughts, you & your are very comfortable on Dvorak. Thanks for recommending me Dvorak nimbostratue. Been practising for 3 weeks now & can average 65wpm and miraculously, no pain on the right pinky! very comfortable.

Indeed it is an extremely comfortable layout even after long hours of typing I do not feel any pain in the wrist on Dvork. Also, I want to share IDvork with you, which I think is a superior version of dvorak if you are looking to boost your speed beyond What Dvork and Colemak can give you. This version of dvorak looks very much like a mirrored version of the first version of Imak which I reached with a speed of  66WPM for 5 min on hi-game in just 14 days, but I had to stop after I noticed that replacing the 'V' on QWERTY with 'f' was problematic. I have tried IDvorak for 2 days and it still feel as good as dvorak but the left hand felt slightly funny as the index finger is no longer stretching to reach for the 'i' key. Also this version has lower same finger ration than dvork, which is good.  you can see the layout by loading this Id

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,25,26,13,14,39,49,21,24,20,32,33,44,18,37,51,12,27,28,29,23,17,22,50,31,34,19,47,30,35,40,41,38,15,42,36,11,46,48,16,45,43,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60

here
http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/

If you want to try the layout out, tell me and I can post the autohotkey file.
Personally, I tried it for 2 days but I stopped because it was difficult to maintain 3 layouts. I plan if the final version of Imak failed the test to maintain both Dvorak and IDvorak and I think the switch between the two will not by difficult at all. You can also reduce the difference by returning j , x and - to their original position as dvork, which has slightly less alternation than IDvorak

nimbostratue said:
Jin said:
nimbostratue said:

Indeed it is an extremely comfortable layout even after long hours of typing I do not feel any pain in the wrist on Dvork. Also, I want to share IDvork with you, which I think is a superior version of dvorak if you are looking to boost your speed beyond What Dvork and Colemak can give you. This version of dvorak looks very much like a mirrored version of the first version of Imak which I reached with a speed of  66WPM for 5 min on hi-game in just 14 days, but I had to stop after I noticed that replacing the 'V' on QWERTY with 'f' was problematic. I have tried IDvorak for 2 days and it still feel as good as dvorak but the left hand felt slightly funny as the index finger is no longer stretching to reach for the 'i' key. Also this version has lower same finger ration than dvork, which is good.  you can see the layout by loading this Id

0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,25,26,13,14,39,49,21,24,20,32,33,44,18,37,51,12,27,28,29,23,17,22,50,31,34,19,47,30,35,40,41,38,15,42,36,11,46,48,16,45,43,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60

here
http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/

If you want to try the layout out, tell me and I can post the autohotkey file.
Personally, I tried it for 2 days but I stopped because it was difficult to maintain 3 layouts. I plan if the final version of Imak failed the test to maintain both Dvorak and IDvorak and I think the switch between the two will not by difficult at all. You can also reduce the difference by returning j , x and - to their original position as dvork, which has slightly less alternation than IDvorak

Thanks so much nimbostratue, but please don't take this the wrong way. I think I'm just going to stay with Dvorak 'cause I can't mentally handle it haha. I've been putting my brain through too much misery the past two months. Have already switched three layouts from Colemak to Workman and now to Dvorak. I wish I had the mentally to do it. Wow, the past three weeks was a gruelling experience. I kept on pressing keys all over the place from Qwerty, Colemak, and Workman when practising. But all in all, I'm glad I switched to Dvorak.

Wow, you guys are tough.

I think I will stick to Colemak by now, since the switch experience is too hellish to do that again.

nimbostratue that layout actually looks very nice, good job :)

thanks nimbostratue for your helpful suggestions, also for the delighted comments
in the email. the dvorak layout hmm.. for an programmer i'm not sure if i should
give them a try.. let's see ;)

i'm trying today the QGMLWY layout.. how it feels in contrast.. you know
related to my problem word 'you'.. haha

so.. don't ask how long i've needed to write these lines with QGMLWY ;)

Tony_VN said:

Wow, you guys are tough.

I think I will stick to Colemak by now, since the switch experience is too hellish to do that again.

I have tried over 10 to 12 layouts and believe it or not, you can reach almost 50 WPM in just 1 week if you practice properly and concentrated on the common bigrams and common 1000 word.

Jin said:

Thanks so much nimbostratue, but please don't take this the wrong way. I think I'm just going to stay with Dvorak 'cause I can't mentally handle it haha...

Indeed it will be mentally touch to maintain two layouts especially during the first few weeks, and it would be even harder to learn two layouts at the same time, as I did, since you do not have enough muscle memory to remember each layout and it will take several hours to retain back your speed. In the beginning, I wanted to find a layout that allows me to type comfortably above 60WPM and I initially started to learn dvorak but after two days I switched to colemak, which was problematic to my right hand and actually to my keyborad, as it worn my 'K' and 'L' keys which correspond to 'e' and 'i' on Colemak. Now I really see no point of learning any additional layout beyond dvorak, since it is comfrotable to type with at a speed above 60 WPM, but because I have already designed Imak before trying dvorak, I am going to try it out, and I think you should be content with dvorak.

pafkata90 said:

nimbostratue that layout actually looks very nice, good job :)

Thank you pafakata90 I think this layout will add around 10WPM speed to dvorak and it will still be comfortable as dvorak, and for sure it will be faster than colemak because I reached with a similar layout 66WPM in 14 days, and I think I took one race from you on typeracer but you won the rest :).

noctua said:

thanks nimbostratue for your helpful suggestions, also for the delighted comments
in the email. the dvorak layout hmm.. for an programmer i'm not sure if i should
give them a try.. let's see ;)

i'm trying today the QGMLWY layout.. how it feels in contrast.. you know
related to my problem word 'you'.. haha

so.. don't ask how long i've needed to write these lines with QGMLWY ;)

If you are a programmer then you will probably program on your computer and it is very easy to run a autohotkey script to remap the symbols again to their original location on QWERTY, but let me tell you another thing:  I used to feel more comfortable on QWERTY to reach = and - than to reach []. The reason is that I go for  0, -,=, and backspace with my ring finger, which has a natural reach to these keys and much faster than the pinky and you do not need to move your hand, just open it with a slight rotation.

About the layout that you are going to try I guess an algorithm generated this layout based on distance metric but it did not take into consideration the physiology of the hand, so I am not sure if you should give it a try while you have dvorak out there that has been tested over the years. Also for programming, I do not think QWERTY is good either because if you notice that the left hand has always to hit the shift key which can make your wrist suffer, so the best thing is to design a separate layout and spread the symbols between the left and the right hand. Also it would even be better to replace the tab key with a shift and go for it using the ring finger of your left hand. I have actually designed a programming version of Imak and I called it Imak Pro, but I have not used it since I has changed Imak layout drastically later and was concentrating on getting the layout to be comfortable typing regular text.

If you run Gnome 2, then you can choose UK Dvorak (UK punctuation) - which keeps the -_ and =+ on the top row.  I thought about adopting this layout, but I use the brackets more so.  And you can move the whole hand up if you want to cheat.

The Typematrix 2020 looks interesting in it's moving of some keys to the fore fingers, though they didn't move the shift over, and could have utilized the thumbs more (not that I've tried it.)  The 2030 looks a little huddled.

I quite like the way 'Programmer\'s Dvorak' swaps the numbers and symbols.  Does anyone use this and is it comfortable?

Edit:
Forgot to add 'UK punctuation'.  The downside is that normally you only get to choose ISO Dvorak on other operating systems. UK Dvorak is different from UK Dvorak with UK punctuation and US Dvorak.  In subtle ways.

Last edited by pinkyache (30-Jun-2011 14:59:57)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

I quite like the way 'Programmer\'s Dvorak' swaps the numbers and symbols.  Does anyone use this and is it comfortable?

I tried swapping numbers and symbols back when I started learning Colemak. I was pretty frustrated and switched back within a day or so, so I don't think I gave it a fair chance, but it did turn out that I use the numbers more than I had anticipated. I might try it again someday, though.

noctua, I am going to reveal the last version of Imak that I wanted to give you to try this version looks very much as a mirrored version of Imak that I was maintaining with dvorak with only slight modifications, but the Imak that I was trying only suits people that float there right hand over the keyboard. This version that I am showing you should suit everybody, and I will put it to the test in the coming few days and it will be the last version that I will work on and I think it should be it. The properties of this version are as follows:

1- almost same alternation as dvorak with low finger ratio as Colemak
2- balanced between the two hands so you will train both hands equally
3- has the lowest ratio of multiple rows jumping than any other layout that has been made
4- It utilize the home key more efficiently than dvorak
5- has very fast rolls "you", "hea", "rst" "ious" (more than colemak :) )
6- combines alternation and rolling for those who enjoy the rolls

about the "you" word you could replace "p" with "y" and you will have an outward roll on the third row but I had it like this because in the mirrored version it was easier to type "you're" this way i.e it gave me better access to the ' key.

Some of the logic behind the layout is as follows( Referring here to QWERTY):
I wanted to reduce access to "T" key as it was one of the main causes of my wrist problem, which I discovered by simply going with the middle finger to the keys E, R, T. In addition I found that typing a common pigram pattern that correspond to the keys "rd" and "uk" is harmful to the hand so I tried to decrease it as much as possible. This was one of the main problems of colemak as typing the bigram "le" turned out to put a lot of strain on the finger and the keyboard (note that typing "el" is not problem).

(just for the record I have a version that has more alternation than dvorak with much less finger ration than Colemak, but it is highly biased to the left hand. I call the Version Imak fantom :), but unfortunately I am not going to try it because I am right handed).

Anyways, Here is an image of Imak that I plan to release if the test was successful.

imak.png

Last edited by nimbostratue (29-Jun-2011 23:15:19)
nimbostratue said:

..and I think you should be content with dvorak.

Yes I am. Typing is actually fun now.
:]

once more thanks nimbostratue for your effort.. i'll examine this layout
(i'm not very experienced.. haha). But you spoken true after well-nigh
a year with colemak, i'm feeling an revision.. it would not hurt and
i'm sure the creator of colemak may think just the same.

So i've trained hardly with colemak on typeracer.. it may sound for
someone a little bit childlike.. but i've often has this feeling i could
type faster.. (anyone who will check the fact, you can find me
often at typeracer)

For the moment, you know i try an algorithm-layout just
too see what happens after some days.. not forever ;)

So i've already seen on your Imak the nice 'you' rolling and
some very interesting alternation combo's.. i play around
on http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/ with
it..

I like the look of Imak, it looks familiar for some reason.  What's the rational with the <, >. positions?

Last edited by pinkyache (30-Jun-2011 15:07:07)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

I like the look of Imak, it looks familiar for some reason.  What's the rational with the <, >. positions?

It's mirrored from the normal locations. I do think having < and > out of order could be confusing though.

I must say it looks like some good locations for O and D, since that puts ARSTNEIODH, 10 of the 11 most common letters, at the 10 best positions, imo. But there is of course more to a layout than that.

@Nimbo: Do you have anything to back up that it has more/better rolls than colemak? (and "6- combines alternation and rolling..." seems a bit weird. Is there any layout where that doesn't apply?)

pinkyache said:

The reasons are:

1- during the last 5 months I was analyzing text from famous books (http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top) using this tool http://www.codesharp.co.uk/dvorak/   and in every case the probability of having "e," is much higher than having any other key combined with "," and of course the probability of having "e." turned out to be much much less. So by placing "." under "e" this would decrease the same finger ratio.

2- increasing alternation because each time you type "." , "," or ";" you have to follow it by hitting the spacebar with the same right hand. This of course applies for right handed users, who are the majority by far.

3- On QWERTY and   due to the fact that the left hand is slightly below the right hand, since usually we hit the spacebar with the right, it turned out after testing that if I replaced 'V' with a key of the weight of 'F' ,for example, the left index start to suffer from the downward pull, and it took me weeks to recover from this tension. So I am limited with the keys that I can replace V and B with. However on the right hand there is no problem and no body have experienced problem with going to N or M

4- I was testing a mirrored version of Imak which I will show below, and I was really convinced that the 'L' and the 'D' positions should be swapped since first the "E" key is faster than the "G", which requires some stretching of the index finer (Referring to QWERTY for E and G). I have proved this, at lest, for me by typing simple compos
"ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed"
"fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg"

Also "L" is compined with a lot of words and it that position it decrease the jumping ration between 2 rows a lot, so make Imak like this has help me to put 'L' in the optimal position.

5- the last reason is that ',' is more common than '.' and the C position is faster than X on QWERTY, and i feel it requires slightly less wrist flex

Below is the Id of the mirrod Imak that I was testing and I reached a speed higher than dvorak for almost the same amount of training while trying to maintain dvorak, but actully to advance I had to stop dvoraking for three days and then after that it took me a day and a half to go back to my original speed on dvorak. Now I sopped the mirrored Imak and I dvanced on Dvorak to a max of 70 WPM on typeracer and 63 WPM for 5 minutes on high games, which actually took me less time than colemak and less training and I still mix some Imak with dvorak which slows me down.

load the ID:
0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,36,44,37,16,46,35,24,23,21,32,25,26,27,28,18,30,47,19,31,20,22,29,17,34,39,40,41,42,33,48,45,43,15,38,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60

into http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/

this mirrored version of Imak that I was testing has all the time lower finger ratio than Colemak, lower multiple row jumps but slightly less alternation than the final version of Imak.

Note: Non of the layouts that I have designed have caused me wrist pain, which seems to prove my theory, but there is something else  which I will discuss later (maybe tomorrow).

erw said:

@Nimbo: Do you have anything to back up that it has more/better rolls than colemak? (and "6- combines alternation and rolling..." seems a bit weird. Is there any layout where that doesn't apply?)

first we must agree on what a roll is: According to my definition of a roll, it is a sequence of three letters typed with the same hand either in inward or outward manner but not both. So a bigram "ou" is not a roll for me :) and taking this definition into account if I compared Imak to Colemak I do not see much rolls on Colemak. On the right hand side of Colemak I see "ion" and "oin" . "oin" is a roll, but it is not that common. On the other hand, I do not consider "ion" and "you" as a roll, and I actually consider them to be a devastating compos on the right hand. For, example type " ion ion ion ion ion ion ion ion ion ion ion ion ion"
then revers i with o, and type
"oin oin oin oin oin oin oin oin oin oin oin..."
and see how oin feels much better.

The point is that while an outward roll could be easy on most of the fingers, it is actually feels really bad on the pinky especially if it is combined with an inward roll like the case of "ion". During the last month of training on Colemak, I had to stop typing some days because of pain in the bone of my small right hand pink, and the damage was not only happening to my hand but also to my keyboard (maybe later I post an image of the wear). Now if we go to the right hand, I can see ars and rst on colemak, and the only words I typed containing ars were years and hears, that is not to say there are not may words that contain this roll, but unfortunately I have not met them.
So, according to my definition, I find no rolls at all on dvorak and QWERTY, correct me if I am wrong :). Anyway, Imak is still in the testing procedure, and it would be nice if all of us cooperate to produce a nice comfortable alternating layout similar to dvorak, but balanced has low finger ration, and eliminate the problem of 'SL', which I do not find much problem BTW.

Have you considered just putting the dot and the < on the ring finger and the , and > on the middle finger? If it was me, I'd do that, if I wanted to keep the position of the comma and the dot. It'll change the standard keys, but I wouldn't care at all about that, but again - that's me :)

Last edited by pafkata90 (01-Jul-2011 17:09:54)
pafkata90 said:

Have you considered just putting the dot and the < on the ring finger and the , and > on the middle finger? If it was me, I'd do that, if I wanted to keep the position of the comma and the dot. It'll change the standard keys, but I wouldn't care at all about that, but again - that's me :)

No, actually I have not thought of this. Good idea and when doing something I rather to do it well rather than confirm to the standards :). Unfortunately, I will not be able to test the layout this week cuz I ruptured my ear drum from slamming into the water hard, So I have no desire to do anything now until I recover.

nimbostratue said:

"e,"

Yes, I was also surprised to find that this was the most common same-finger digram for Colemak as well.

nimbostratue said:

2- increasing alternation because each time you type "." , "," or ";" you have to follow it by hitting the spacebar with the same right hand. This of course applies for right handed users, who are the majority by far.

I'm right handed and I use left hand for space. Do you have any statistics on which hand people use for space? (not just how many percent are right handed in general)

nimbostratue said:

"ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed ed"
"fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg fg"

This is of course better than nothing, but I think it would be much better to test the digrams inside real words.

nimbostratue said:

On the right hand side of Colemak I see "ion" and "oin" . "oin" is a roll, but it is not that common.

"oin" is used in the common words "going" and "doing" as well as words formed from "-point-", "coin-" ("co-in-"), "-join-".

Other common and semi-common right-hand 3-finger-rolls include "ien" (just think -ient, scien-, -friend-, -fiend-), "nio" (-nious-, -union-), "oul" (would, should, could), "oun" (-mount-, -round-, -ground-, -found-), "oil" (-boil-, -coil-, -foil-, -spoil-), "ium", "iel" (-field-, -wield-, -yield-, -shield-).

nimbostratue said:

Now if we go to the right hand, I can see ars and rst on colemak, and the only words I typed containing ars were years and hears, that is not to say there are not may words that contain this roll, but unfortunately I have not met them.

Many nouns in plural end in "ars" (including "years") and some third-person singular simple present indicative forms (or so wiktionary calls it) (including "hears"). Otherwise, "coarse", "harsh", "sparse", "parse", ...

"rst" is pretty common: "-first-", "worst", "-burst-", "-thirst-", {"under", "over", "super", "inter", "counter"} + "st-", ...

Then we have "art", "ast", "tra", "aft", "arg", "ard", "arb". And "arc", "arp" and "asp" even though they're not that comfy to roll fast.

And outwards: "swa", "fra", "pra", "gra", "dra", "cra", "bra".

I'm not saying whether Colemak or Imak has more, just that Colemak has tons and tons of words with rolls.

erw said:

I'm right handed and I use left hand for space. Do you have any statistics on which hand people use for space? (not just how many percent are right handed in general)

While teaching classical touch typing, they teach people to hit the spacebar with their right hand thumb, whether they are right handed or left hand, but of course if you did not learn touch typing at school then you might hit keys with alternative fingers as I do, and even if you learn proper touch typing, you might have deviated at some ponit. So, I think the majority of people hit the spacebar with their right hand and I remember I observed some of my classmates and saw that they were doing that, but I have not done any statistics about it. However, if you want statistics here is some which suggest that 10 percent of the world population is left handed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-Handed
http://askville.amazon.com/percentage-p … Id=2705822

But the interesting thing here ,erw, is that I have already asked 3 people before you who are typing on colemak and they told me that they do not feel any  problem in their right hand, and 2 of them hit the spacebar with their left hand and the other hovers his right hand. One of the people I asked is a friend of mine   https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1046  , and I remember I told him that this is the reason that he do not feel much discomfort in his right hand. and I told Jin here https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1123   about some of the solution for colemak problem, which include hitting the spacebar with the left hand. So, a simple change of hitting the spacebar with the left hand would change the typing pattern of the hand. Actually, this is part of the problem that I said I will discuss tomorrow after I prepare some figures to illustrate the problem that I have faced while designing the several versions of Imak, so hopefully tomorrow I will make it clear.

About the rolls, i was aware of some of the ones that have you mentioned on the right hand but i did not want to list all of them, but indeed some of them are quite common like rst, which I have mentioned, and some of them are not. Anyway, in principle Colemak should have more rolls than Imak since Imak is an alternation layout, but Imak has a handful as well :).

I'd chose alternation over rolls any day. I'm curious to see your final layout nimbo. If you decide to keep most of the more common shortcut keys on the left hand side, I might even give it a try. I'm talking about the keys Z, C, V, X, W, T, Y, D, E - in order of importance for me. At least those are the ones I use. Another thing I liked about your "mirrored" Imak was that the vowels and the punctuation symbols are on the right which leaves more consonant on the left. I need those for some programs I use.
So I'll see which layouts you end up deciding to "release" and I may give one a shot at the end of the summer.

Again, very good job.

I am left handed and press spacebar with left hand. Colemak is still use the right hand more (52%) so you should use left pinky to backspace to balace two hands' work.