• You are not logged in.

Variant for Mac users: Colemak × US Extended

• Started by hansengel
    • 3 Replies:

Here's a variant of the Colemak layout that I recently made in Ukelele. It's in the Mac .keylayout format — if anyone knows how to convert to something Windows-friendly please let me know!

A little background: I type a lot of accented letters. Back in my unenlightened days of QWERTY, I used the US Extended layout which ships with Mac OS. I found this very intuitive to use and extremely quick to learn. I still haven't been able to get comfortable with Colemak's option-key inputs after 7 months of learning.

In this variant: everything is the same in the normal input mode. If you hold down Option while pressing keys, however, you'll get the US Extended style input (that is, with the characters rearranged to be in Colemak order). See picture:

screenshot20110713at213.png
    screenshot20110713at215.png
    Red = dead key. For example, pressing Option-e-a yields á

So, for example: in the US Extended layout, pressing Option-s would enter ß. In this layout, the ß has been moved to the Colemak position so that pressing Option-s still yields ß.

If you type special characters in Colemak (more than just one to two languages), I highly recommend trying this layout. With the US Extended keys you can write in pretty much any Latin-based script (Vietnamese, maybe not!). Most of the "Option" inputs correspond to characters which look similar or are related to the normal input character for that key:

• Option-r = ®

• Option-1 = ¡

• Option-y = ¥

• Option-f = ƒ

• Option-o = ø

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone! Enjoy.

Download

MediaFire

Last edited by hansengel (14-Jul-2011 05:57:20)

Hi Hans

You might like the Colemak version that's built into Mac OS X "Lion" (also known as 10.7).

Cheers, Oliver

Last edited by boli (16-Jul-2011 18:19:43)

Hey, it looks like you're using the application 'Ukelele' correct? I'm having trouble figuring out just how to get my layout to show up in inputs and such to be an option.

Playtrumpet said:

Hey, it looks like you're using the application 'Ukelele' correct? I'm having trouble figuring out just how to get my layout to show up in inputs and such to be an option.

Place your keyboard layout (ends with .keylayout) or bundle (ends with .bundle) file into /Library/Keyboard Layouts/, then you should be able to select it in Apple Menu > System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources (also click "Show Input menu in menu bar" while you are there, so you see your currently selected layout and can switch easily).

You could also place it in your personal /Users/<yourname>/Library/Keyboard Layouts/ folder, but then other users won't be able to use it, and it won't be available in the login screen [1], so I'd recommend putting it in the global /Library/Keyboard Layouts/ folder instead.

[1] You'll need to enable the login screen bit in Apple menu > System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options > Check "Show Input menu in login window".

Last edited by boli (31-Aug-2011 08:32:04)