• You are not logged in.

awesome!

• Started by AGK
    • 12 Replies:

1st of all, thanks to Shai for Colemak.
    I am a qwerty touch typist for over a decade. So I decided to try to learn dvorak a few weeks ago, but it was very hard, since compared to qwerty, dvorak is totally a different layout. However, I found out about Colemak a few days ago, just finished the 12 lessons through TypeFaster software, and although I'm slower by a lot compared to qwerty, nevertheless I can see that I'm learning this layout much faster than dvorak since many of the keys are the same. I'll post my progress as I move along to faster and more accurate speeds with Colemak.

now if only this layout would've been standard...lol

Last edited by AGK (02-Feb-2007 00:15:43)

day 3:

current colemak speed: 20 wpm (qwerty speed was: 75 wpm)
    tutor: TypeFaster

I'm real slow when I type daily things...esp when IM'ing...my friends are complaining...lol

but i won't quit!!! I'm not going back to qwerty

day 4:
    speed: steady 30 wpm...

Last edited by AGK (05-Feb-2007 06:17:07)

With all the lessons?

Personally, i play one lesson at the time. When i reach 40 wpm or if i'm satisfied, i switch to the next one. Don't aim for high wpms in the early lessons because you can only go very fast if you have a lot of letters to play with.

ChaperonNoir said:

With all the lessons?

Personally, i play one lesson at the time. When i reach 40 wpm or if i'm satisfied, i switch to the next one. Don't aim for high wpms in the early lessons because you can only go very fast if you have a lot of letters to play with.

that's a good suggestion. I was doing 1st all lessons of TypeFaster @ 20 wpm, (I repeated lesson if it was lower)...then I repeated all lessons and was aiming for 30, now, I'll be aiming for 40, and wont switch to next lesson until i get 40 wpm.

Last edited by AGK (05-Feb-2007 18:51:51)

Wonderful progress, I hope mine will be half as quick. Second day and I (and my right pinky) are starting to realize what a great layout this is. Caps lock/backspace was a genius move.

blee61 said:

Wonderful progress, I hope mine will be half as quick. Second day and I (and my right pinky) are starting to realize what a great layout this is. Caps lock/backspace was a genius move.

here is my update: I'm now in the 40 wpm range, and it's been a month of using colemak as the only keyboard layout for me since I'm no longer able to use QWERTY, without looking at the keyboard. As the matter of fact, my QWERTY was 2x faster before my switch and now it's the opposite, my colemak speed is 2x faster. In any case, I'm not going back so it doesn't matter. I'm looking forward in the future to beat 212 WPM speed by Barbara using Dvorak which still can't be beaten since 1985...lol

Last edited by AGK (03-Mar-2007 17:38:23)
    • Kas

I'm using colemak for about three months, and my current speed is about 68 wpm, and in QWERTY about 60 wpm (about 90 before I started learning colemak) so I can't type as fast as I used to, but I can easily switch between colemak and qwerty, and I realised, that colemak is much faster and more comfortable for fingers.

Kas, do you regurarly practice typing with QWERTY as well?  Currently I use Colemak as the only layout and don't even want to look back at QWERTY (and if I do, I can't type accurately without looking at the keyboard). I even switched my keyboard keys to Colemak on one of my laptops.

Last edited by AGK (25-Mar-2007 19:11:02)

I surpassed 55 WPM with 100% accuracy at typingtest.com

After 5 months, I am now peaking 75 WPM, and have a steady 60 WPM.

I was practicing with TypeFaster, and got 75 WPM for "Common words" then switched back to QWERTY and got 35 WPM. I also noticed that my fingers felt soreness/pain after typing for 5 mins in QWERTY, but didn't have any pain nor soreness when I did same amount of typing in Colemak.

Last edited by AGK (26-Jun-2007 16:57:57)

It's been exactly 2 months since my update, I am now at a steady 70 WPM speed.

Tested with typingtest and got 72 WPM, 100% accuracy.

Last edited by AGK (28-Aug-2007 04:37:51)

what was your original QWERTY?

padde said:

what was your original QWERTY?

around 70wpm, but I am definitely making less typos in Colemak than I used to when using QWERTY