• You are not logged in.

Das professional keyboard

• Started by slowfingers
    • 11 Replies:

Does anyone know if all the keys can be moved around to their colemak positions?  Or do you recommend getting the (blank) Das ultimate and add stickers if need be?

http://www.techspot.com/review/122-das-keyboard/

btw I just tried the steel series 6Gv2 and found it to be very mushy and did not "click" or have much feel...in fact I found the keys to be more restistant than my Logitech stock k120.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6823239011

Last edited by slowfingers (23-Jul-2011 22:23:40)

I type on a Filco brown at work and I use a Ninja keycap set instead of Qwerty keycaps. These keycaps cannot put to Colemak position because each row got different angle and height.

For Das keyboards I have no idea.

Last edited by Tony_VN (24-Jul-2011 15:09:25)

I own a Das Keyboard and would not move the keys as it could potentially damage the board or interfere with the design.

Personally, I recommend getting the blank version. I couldn't touch type until I bought this DK model and I have to say that I learned what I set out to learn by eliminating any motivation to look down. I’ve never been attracted to the idea of buying stickers and think that if you’re going to learn/use an alternative layout that you might as well use a blank board because you won’t see the correct letters posted elsewhere.

I don’t know if you’re a seasoned user or someone who’s learning but either way the DK Professional is the way to go unless you are looking for an incredibly ergonomic board (Maltron, Kinesis, Truly Ergonomic etc.).

tl;dr: Buy the Das Keyboard Professional Model (blank)

Yes I went with the Das ultimate blank version and I love it. I am forced to touch type all of the numbers and other symbols now where before I would just look.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate/
    2.jpg

Last edited by slowfingers (27-Jul-2011 21:42:01)

I'm interested to hear more about people's experiences with the DAS keyboard. I’ve been researching keyboards a bit recently and I thought about buying the DAS Ultimate (blank keys are a plus in my mind). However, the ~$125.00 price tag is a bit off-putting, so I really want to know what type of benefit I’m looking at if I buy one (I initially wanted a Topre keyboard; then I saw the $300+ price tag; not getting that!).

I currently have a fairly old G15 keyboard which is still in excellent working condition, so I don’t have to buy a new keyboard, although I’m open to it if the benefit is large enough.

My questions:

How different is typing on the DAS compared to typing on a normal keyboard? Can you tell a difference in terms of accuracy? In terms of speed? In terms of comfort?

How loud is the DAS Ultimate? I know they say they make a “Silent” version; do you have any idea how loud that one is and how typing on it compares? I’m going to be in a dorm room with another person, so I want to make sure it isn’t too noisy.

How do you handle not having media keys on the DAS? Did you remap them somewhere else on the keyboard? If so, where?

Are there any other additional important factors you would advise me to consider before thinking about buying a DAS keyboard? Are there any other good mechanical keyboards people have experience to recommend?

By the way, I know about ergonomic keyboards like the Kinesis and Maltron, but I’m not thinking to buy something like that where I have to learn another hand layout, which is why I’m curious about buying a good mechanical keyboard.

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=188

I don't like the DAS because it's not mechanical and so it doesn't provide a crisp feedback. I use an IBM board at work and Unicomp at home when I can.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=188

I don't like the DAS because it's not mechanical and so it doesn't provide a crisp feedback. I use an IBM board at work and Unicomp at home when I can.

The Das is mechanical. You can choose between Cherry MX Blue (clicky, the regular models) or Brown (non-clicky, the "silent" models) switches. You can see on their website (http://www.daskeyboard.com/).

Yes, I checked their Wikipedia page, and apparently they used to be non-mechanical but have been fully mechanical for several years now. I've ordered a DAS Ultimate Model S Silent, so I'll share my thoughts on it relative to my G15 once I receive it.

I own a Das S Ultimate (Silent/Brown) and the discussions about this keyboard and so many others can go on forever.

My brief thoughts:

- Good key caps
    - Brown switches are my current favorite Cherry switch (have a nice, soft feel with solid action)
    - "Silent" does not mean silent but rather the potential to be quieter than the Blue switch (they both have noticeable volume)
    - Glossy finish attracts dust, hair and fingerprints but if you take care of it and wipe it off sometimes then it's fine
    - No characters on key caps is badass
    - No you should not switch around keys if you have the professional version - the keys are sculpted and you can remap ANY keyboard with software so that has never been an issue for me (I've programmed some creative things with the LEDs actually - 'cause I'm awesome)
    - Make sure you're fine with having a Numpad because it causes your mouse to be a little further away and less in line with your monitor/body (consider a tenkeyless keyboard if this concerns you, which Das does not have to my knowledge)
    - Overall, very satisfied with the keyboard. I think my next keyboard (when I'm ready to spend $200-300 on a keyboard) will probably be a Realforce because I REALLY wanna try Topre switches

If you're curious about mechanical keyboards and any other thing relating to keyboards, check out geekhack.org. It's where I got hooked on keyboards.

Last edited by Playtrumpet (26-Aug-2011 19:21:30)
    Legolan said:

I'm interested to hear more about people's experiences with the DAS keyboard. I’ve been researching keyboards a bit recently and I thought about buying the DAS Ultimate (blank keys are a plus in my mind). However, the ~$125.00 price tag is a bit off-putting, so I really want to know what type of benefit I’m looking at if I buy one (I initially wanted a Topre keyboard; then I saw the $300+ price tag; not getting that!).

I currently have a fairly old G15 keyboard which is still in excellent working condition, so I don’t have to buy a new keyboard, although I’m open to it if the benefit is large enough.

My questions:

How different is typing on the DAS compared to typing on a normal keyboard? Can you tell a difference in terms of accuracy? In terms of speed? In terms of comfort?

How loud is the DAS Ultimate? I know they say they make a “Silent” version; do you have any idea how loud that one is and how typing on it compares? I’m going to be in a dorm room with another person, so I want to make sure it isn’t too noisy.

How do you handle not having media keys on the DAS? Did you remap them somewhere else on the keyboard? If so, where?

Are there any other additional important factors you would advise me to consider before thinking about buying a DAS keyboard? Are there any other good mechanical keyboards people have experience to recommend?

By the way, I know about ergonomic keyboards like the Kinesis and Maltron, but I’m not thinking to buy something like that where I have to learn another hand layout, which is why I’m curious about buying a good mechanical keyboard.

The DAS has been awesome. there was a bit of a learning curve and I had to make sure i had time to go through some ups and downs, especially working on facebook app development, but now that I am starting to get it figured out I feel way more efficient. Less typo's, more speed etc. and it makes a ton of difference.

Last edited by typeloud (01-Oct-2011 20:28:25)

Congratulations, the DAS is an awesome keyboard! 

From now on any type of rubber dome keyboard will feel sticky and cheap!

Generally: Topre > DAS >> rubber dome switch keyboard.

Topre vs Cherry MX Blue is largely a matter of preference which unfortunately one needs to try before buying.  The feel on two types of switches is very different and cannot be described adequately. Normally the high cost of Topre switch based keyboards settles the dilemma, but in my opinion its a one time purchase which is worth it, provided that you type a lot in your line of work.

Cheers.

Last edited by kostasv (01-Jan-2012 11:13:02)

I was doing a little searching and I think this might help for customising the DAS Keyboard. You can order a Colemak Keyboard set with different colors and printing type to choose from as well as Mac/Windows keys to go with it.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ … -sets.html

This is the compatibility list for a lot of different keyboards

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/keycap-compatibility

The full set is acceptable at $39.99 but I think the 37-key set is nice at $19.99 which only has the alphabet and arrow keys.

You can also design your own keyboard keycaps as well, here's some examples.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ … -creations

Last edited by yensteel (10-Aug-2012 17:19:44)