• You are not logged in.

Tried to start learning Colemak today

• Started by bravoecho
  • 27 Replies:

Hi everyone!

Last week I was inspired to learn to touch-type.  My history with a keyboard starts back around the mid 80's when my parents first sent me to computer camp.  Since then I have become an proficient hunt-peck QWERTY typist in English only.  During my life I have only switched once from US (in New Zealand) to UK variants - with a few stabs at AZERTY layouts while travelling around Europe.  My speed is around 40wpm and I glance at the keyboard regularly, using 6 of my ten fingers at most!

After deciding to learn touch-typing, I was initially going to head for Dvorak, but came across Colemak on a typing tutor website (https://www.sense-lang.org/typing/tutor … EN_colemak) and read about it more on colemak.com.  Today I installed the standard colemak layout on OSX Lion and started on the first lessons.

It's difficult and slow so far.  I have done a few runs through of lessons 1 and 2 on the site I mentioned earlier and even though I'm using just 4 keys (s, t, n, e) I can only manage 15wpm. I am very excited to improve though - and have plenty of time right now. Hopefully it will be a fruitful and fast transition.

Righto - today remains to see how far I get with these online lessons!

Cheers

Michael

I'm always glad to hear when someone decides to learn touch typing. It's a bit hard in the beginning but after just a little while it gets very exciting to follow your progress and surpass your old speed.
Keep it up and post here your progress every now and then ;)

So far, so interesting.  I went through the lessons up to a r s t d h n e i o and managed 14wpm.  That's most of the home row, so perhaps this time next week I will be typing somewhat slowly with the full keyboard!  It appears that each time I progress to the next lesson, the rate stays around 15 wpm as I add letters.

Nice progress. Each time you learn a new key, the speed will drop 4-5wpm, then it will rise again.

Since Qwerty has 10 common keys QWAHZXCVBM with Colemak, you will only have to learn the remaining 17 keys.

Thanks! Now I have registered on hi-games as 'bravoecho' too and painfully did the 5 minute test, scoring 11 wpm. Real words are extremely difficult to type as I slowly undo a lifetime of muscle memory. This post took me forever!

bwzxc6ygpn46zilqz.jpg

The first three weeks are hardest. We all pray for you to come through :-)

I have some improvements to report! My score on hi-games.net is now 17 words per minute, for the one minute test, and I can see a future in this now.  Unfortunately I cannot log into hi-games as in sends me the login key about 3 hours after I try to login. Who thought than system up?

bravoecho said:

I have some improvements to report! My score on hi-games.net is now 17 words per minute, for the one minute test, and I can see a future in this now.  Unfortunately I cannot log into hi-games as in sends me the login key about 3 hours after I try to login. Who thought than system up?

Maybe their mail server was overloaded. But does it matter much? I have only had to log in once for each of my computers.

I managed 19 wpm this morning on hi-games.  It is very interesting for me that some words are already coming much easier. My main struggle at the moment seems to be anything on the number row.  I have been writing all my emails using Colemak... and that still feels like pulling teeth at 19 wpm!

Speed of 19wpm after 6 days is good, especially when you have no previous touch typing experience. Keep up your progress.

Here's something odd - When doing a test like the ones on hi-games.net I 'feel' everything is flowing well, even if it is a bit slow.  But come time to write an email or forum post I make a ton of mistakes.  My speed is about the same in each situation.

And - 23 wpm on the 1 minute test! Time to celebrate cracking 20 wpm.

Don't worry. It's not odd. It's just that you're training text re-typing so it's a bit different when you start typing your own thoughts. But that's an issue (if I may call it that) only in the beginning. It'll get much better after a while. Just always keep in mind the accuracy.
Congrats on your progress, keep it up!

Your typing skills are improved in several phases

1. Muscle memory:
You can touch type what's on screen.

2. Muscle memory integrated with brain's hearing part.
You can touch type what are being dictated to you.

3. Muscle memory integrated with brain's thinking part.
You can touch type what you are thinking.

4. Muscle memory integrated with the whole YOU
You sit there, do nothing, just watch and adore yourself. Your brain and your fingers do it all.

To reach that final level where your typing skills are effortlessly integrated with all parts of your brain, it would take several years.

nike-just-do-it.jpg

Not necessarily. It could take much less. But I wouldn't worry about that. Just keep it up and it comes naturally :)

OK all my times on hi-games are now above 20 wpm. http://hi-games.net/profile/5186

I decided to install aTypeTrainer4mac which is allowing me more flexible training.  So far it's very good :)

Excellent progress. Keep up practising, focus on accuracy and the speed will steadily increase day by day.

With your rate of improvement, you will get to 40wpm - your Qwerty speed - in a month or two, then surpass it.

Last edited by Tony_VN (22-Sep-2011 05:38:54)

My favourite part is when I'm talking to someone while typing up something else I'm thinking rather fast in Colemak without looking at neither screen nor keyboard. And I notice that they look at me with puzzlement like "how can he do that?". :)

Of course it's not always a polite thing to do. So I only do it when I feel it necessary. But the feeling is nice!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I have started to do this a little around my wife as she has also started learning colemak.

Current progress:
Only the 5 minute test on hi-games is under 26wpm! What should I be doing to improve my speed and accuracy now? Just carry on with the random letter  tutorials, or do more 'whole word' lists like the 1000 most common words found in a post elsewhere on this forum.

I try Amphetype (programmed by tristesse member of this forum) and it has an option that automatically detect your weaker words from your typing and let you practise them. The program gives you a lot of statistics that help you to improve from your mistakes, as well as a lot of options (the required accuracy to pass a text or a review, ability to type a whole novel and read them through typing is excellent).

Amphetype is definitely a tailor made software to learn touch typing efficiently. It does not have much graphics and fun stuff, but I highly recommend it to any typist that wants to improve their typing skills.

Here the Amphetype project homepage:
https://code.google.com/p/amphetype/

Download Amphetype (Windows, OSX):
https://code.google.com/p/amphetype/downloads/list

ss6.png
screenshot2.png
ss7.png
ss8.png

Backstory of the author tristesse
=====================

About 4 months ago I attempted the difficult switch from Qwerty to what is commonly referred to as the Dvorak layout. I didn't know touch typing, so I had to learn that at the same time. It was hell on Earth. It probably took me a full week just to be able to snail away at 20 WPM and after a full month I was still only at 40 WPM. Dvorak is impossibly hard to learn.

That's when I discovered Colemak, a layout that promised to be even more efficient that the Dvorak and much easier to learn. I was intrigued and found that it fixed most of the issues I had with Dvorak, which only added to my frustration over not having discovered it sooner after having put so much effort into learning Dvorak. But finally I made the decision to switch again. Since this time I decided I was going to do it right I even went ahead and made my own keyboard layout based on a mix between the Colemak and the Norwegian Qwerty, but moving a lot of the common punctuation to the home and upper rows using the AltGr key.

After a week I was already as fast as my best speeds with Dvorak, and after a month I was at a more comfortable 65 WPM. Today I am at around 75-80 WPM, which is almost as fast as I once was on the Qwerty (80-85 WPM).

Now, in my long quest for learning a new layout, I have grown fond of programs and sites that help you measure and improve your typing. However, there is a lot of things lacking from most that I'd like to see. The two main things are:

* Texts that make sense: I am a big fan of Typeracer where you type actual quotes from popular culture (books, movies, songs). This gives you some shallow entertainment as opposed to just typing nonsense language-agnostic syllables which I find very dull and unrewarding. I also played some with TyperA which gives you random sentences, but they are cut off at awkward points (can't separate "." in abbreviations from proper end-of-sentence punctuation) and sometimes they're part of a joke that you don't get to see the follow-up to -- very annoying! A better version in this respect is Hi Games' Typing Test which at least give you random fragments instead of just half-sentences.

* Automatic lessons based on problem words (not just keys): TypingMaster Pro Satellite is an ingenious (albeit commercial and Windows-only) program which monitors everything you type and tells you which words and keys you have problems with (probably inferred from speed and backspace usage). So far I haven't found any alternative to it, nor even a free program which tells you what words you have problems with.

So basically when I wrote the first version of Amphetype on a long and boring ride on the night train these two items is what I had in mind: the ability to type texts from favorite novels, moves, web sites, whatever, and detailed statistics about problematic words and keys which can be used to generate new lessons. And that's what I've done.

From feedback from friends I've also added the ability to type whole books fragment by fragment so you can read them while practicing typing.

You may download and play two games in my signature too. They are scary and funny typing games where you constantly try to kill zombies or sharks.

I am a little put off by the age of Amphetype, so I will stick with what I have on my Mac at the moment.  After very little practice this week I went to hi-games and managet to improve all around.  It's much easier now to write emails of a reasonable length without feeling drained afterwards, which was certainly the case at the start.

One thing I really need to learn is the number row and all the special characters there. So far they have not really been included with any lessons, so I may make a text file of my own drills.

So after three weeks you already type Colemak with 30wpm. That's great progress.

With that improvement rate, I think you will get your old Qwerty speed - 40wpm in another two or three weeks.

bravoecho said:

I have started to do this a little around my wife as she has also started learning colemak.

That's pretty awesome :-)

bravoecho said:

Current progress:
Only the 5 minute test on hi-games is under 26wpm! What should I be doing to improve my speed and accuracy now? Just carry on with the random letter  tutorials, or do more 'whole word' lists like the 1000 most common words found in a post elsewhere on this forum.

When I was new I used a mixture of common words, words chosen to exercise specific keys (the original 12 or so Colemak lessons) and words chosen to exercise specific sequences of letters (many lists of which I have posted on the forum). Switch it up and don't overdo it. Make sure you stay at >=97% accuracy - setting a higher goal was not really useful to me, maybe even detrimental. But more important than the numbers: If you feel you're making a lot of mistakes, slow down and/or take a break.

Thanks for that advice.  I guess my reason for wanting a certain speed was because I felt so retarded going from a fast hunt and peck to an almost idle colemak touch typist.  As I use computers a lot, this was a horrible feeling!  Now that I am doing over 30wpm on a consistent basis it's a smaller issue as I am at least functional, if not terribly speedy!

I have really taken a break from any drills in the last week, and will get back into it this weekend on my newly arrived Kinesis, which has the custom option Cherry MX Red switches.

And of course, my lovely wife now has her netbook permanently set to Colemak, so all three comps in the house are now impossible for guests to use :)

Update - I have started a new job and immediately set my machine to Colemak as the default.  It has confounded others a few times but is great for me. 

I now find that when confronted with a QWERTY layout I have to stare at the keys and slowly pick out the letters one by one.  This is pretty rare... but still something that happens.

My speed has leveled out around 38 - 40 wpm and I don't do much dedicated practice now that I am working all day and out hiking on the weekends.  It would be nice to type a little faster, but honestly this is now comfortable and practical for most of the tasks I need to accomplish on a computer.

The kinesis keyboard I ordered really slowed me down when I started using it at home, but steadily I am improving on it and it is certainly more comfortable that a regular shaped keyboard!  My wife has also made steady progress on her Colemak speed -- I think she's now above 30wpm on hi-games for a couple of the tests, and is happy to do all her typing in Colemak. 

Success!