• You are not logged in.

Learn Colemak with Type Fu web app

• Started by jarek
    • 19 Replies:

The app works on Chrome and Safari. You can access it directly by visiting http://type-fu.com
    It's also available on Chrome Web Store: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … lclpblaemo

Screenshot
    Screenshot
    Screenshot

Last edited by jarek (21-Feb-2012 15:31:26)

Looks cool, jarek. I'll try it out.

I have just released version 2.0 which adds support for level selection.

Last edited by jarek (21-Feb-2012 15:35:16)

Thanks jarek! It works a treat, and is clean, simple and beautiful, very well done!

Have you ever considered showing accuracy and speed in the same chart? And possibly normalizing accuracy so the differences between highest and lowest accuracy are more pronounced?

Scary typing tutor said 'intention sister heroin'! :o

:D

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

> Have you ever considered showing accuracy and speed in the same chart?

Yes, my initial idea was to have both charts combined so that you could easily see the relation between typing speed and the amount of errors made. I have even done initial implementation, but I dropped this idea because it felt confusing: https://i.imgur.com/jTiYi.png

> And possibly normalizing accuracy so the differences between highest and
    > lowest accuracy are more pronounced?

The charts are already normalized so that they could be drawn with up to 19 points
    (higher number of points on chart would make it unreadable): https://i.imgur.com/0Uk4I.png

> Scary typing tutor said 'intention sister heroin'! :o

Oops, I forgot to filter that out. I thought heroin is for female hero.

No, that's 'heroine'. ;)

jarek said:

Yes, my initial idea was to have both charts combined so that you could easily see the relation between typing speed and the amount of errors made. I have even done initial implementation, but I dropped this idea because it felt confusing: https://i.imgur.com/jTiYi.png

They look nice I think. Maybe a different style for accuracy, such as subtler bars in the background, would work well. Keybr uses bars for everything, but instead of accuracy they display number of errors. Since many of their texts are about 100 chars long, that number can be viewed as roughly the error percentage.

The charts are already normalized so that they could be drawn with up to 19 points
    (higher number of points on chart would make it unreadable): https://i.imgur.com/0Uk4I.png

I didn't mean averaging of multiple runs, but I should have said scale not normalize: I meant adjusting the vertical scale such that accuracy isn't such a rather flat line. If the lowest is say 96% then maybe 90% could be at the bottom of the chart, rather than 0%.

boli said:

I didn't mean averaging of multiple runs, but I should have said scale not normalize: I meant adjusting the vertical scale such that accuracy isn't such a rather flat line. If the lowest is say 96% then maybe 90% could be at the bottom of the chart, rather than 0%.

Ahh, good idea, this would make the stats more readable. I will give it a try next month (I'm currently working on Mac port).

A Mac port sounds great, looking forward to it. :) I suppose it's a standalone app that does pretty much the same as the web app?

boli said:

A Mac port sounds great, looking forward to it. :) I suppose it's a standalone app that does pretty much the same as the web app?

Yes, it will be exactly the same app but it will use native menus, dialogs will be managed by native window manager and it will run offline.

My first impression: You don't want me to type Space between words. In fact, I get an error if I do it.

Try making the Space optional instead! That way, if I want to type it I can but I won't get an error either way.

[Uhhh... what the hell is happening here? I'm using Firefox, and I hope you'll make your app work for that because it is a very common reader! Now it appears that I'll get an error between words no matter what?! Using Space, I get an error. Using the first letter of the next word instead, an error. Please fix that.

Also, the hand showing what to do is shown way too long up the screen. Instead of hitting the keyboard, it hovers so that it seems the lower part of the hand picture is where you intended its upper part to be?]

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Feb-2012 21:54:46)

DreymaR said:

My first impression: You don't want me to type Space between words.

He wants you to use another browser. :) It works great in Chrome and Safari. Maybe it makes use of some stuff not available in Firefox.

Ah yes, well... back to the point where Firefox is a very very common browser? :)

Chances are I won't install Chrome just to play with this typing app. Got too much else on my plate.

Next tip, if the above won't be possible: Make the app give a warning if your browser isn't Chrome or Safari? You know, browser-aware message thingy.

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Feb-2012 00:02:26)

DreymaR said:

Next tip, if the above won't be possible: Make the app give a warning if your browser isn't Chrome or Safari? You know, browser-aware message thingy.

Firefox and IE10 support is coming in March, the app is currently unusable on those browsers because it relies on many Webkit specific features. I guess I will have to show some sort of overlay (like in Silverlight apps) to those using Opera and IE9 and below.

DreymaR said:

Try making the Space optional instead! That way, if I want to type it I can but I won't get an error either way.

"Skip spaces" option would be easy to add, but is it really a good idea? Typing sentences without spaces feels very unnatural, I suspect that after long training you would develop a habit of skipping spaces when writing real texts. I also haven't seen such option in any other typing tutor.

Nonono, I didn't want an option to skip spaces - although there are typing games that have it. I was just confused at the way my Firefox failed to cooperate with your app, giving me errors between every word. Sorry about that then.

This is so good! Honestly, I've got bored of every other typing tutor I've used, but this is something different. I love the automatic progress based on performance, and the wide variety of words. Thank you so much :D

OSX version is now finished: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/type-fu/ … ls=1&mt=12
    Unfortunately I won't have time to implement Firefox and IE10 support any time soon (Mac porting took a lot longer than I thought).

I just spent my first 1/2 hour typing the Colemak way using your Chrome app. Excellent product. I'd like to purchase the Mac app, but I'm wondering if sandboxing will affect your ability to deliver improvements to the App Store version. Can the app be bought directly from you if the App Store version won't get updates due to sandboxing?

The app will definitely be supported on OSX Mountain Lion and it will receive updates if there are any serious bugs,
    but I can't tell you yet whether there will be updates with new features as this depends on how my other projects will
    work out.

The app can't be bought outside the App Store, if the App Store updates will require sandboxing then I will just implement it.

PS: sorry for late response.