• You are not logged in.

Can't install Colemak

• Started by paldepind
    • 6 Replies:

Hi!

I'm trying to install Culemak (not colemak but installed the same way) on Fedora 16b but I don't have a /etc/X11/xkb/ directory.

The X.org directorys have probably changed since those instructions were written. Does anybody know how to install Colemak on a modern distro?

<plug> Use the proper Colemak, and the support level will be much higher! </plug>

The xkb dir have moved as you say. In most distros nowadays you'll find it under /usr/share/X11/xkb. There's some more info in this topic about the Wide mod if you're interested.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

<plug> Use the proper Colemak, and the support level will be much higher! </plug>

Yes, but Culemak and Colemak is very similar thus all support should apply to both of them.

DreymaR said:

The xkb dir have moved as you say. In most distros nowadays you'll find it under /usr/share/X11/xkb. There's some more info in this topic about the Wide mod if you're interested.

Thanks. I've placed the xorg culemak file in the directory you mentioned and I can now use it with "setxkbmap culemak". But it's not present in the GNOME keyboard layout selector. Any idea why?

You Wide mod and alternative AltGr looks great! Unfortunately the Wide mod wouldn't work on my keyboard (but I'll try it out on my laptop whice keyboard is less cramped). Is there a way I can use your AltGr fix with Culemak? The awkward placement of æøå has been a real pain to me and I've never needed any of the other so some greek characters would be awesome!

I've been using Colemak/Culemak for about 1.5 year and I've actually never known about any mods !

Another thing: In your wide mod why not place Enter in the middle sorta like how Typematrix does it?

Last edited by paldepind (04-Nov-2011 16:36:14)

Last question first: Enter in the middle isn't a bad idea per se, but:
    - it's not possible to physically move your keys like that
    - with the Wide mod the physical Enter key is closer than before and thus easier to hit
    - I shudder at the idea of putting something else on the physical Enter; it's just ugly!
    - my Extend layer (not yet implemented in Linux but will be) lets me hit Space+Caps which is surprisingly good for a second way to hit Enter!

I don't remember what the difference between Colemak and Culemak is. Care to link to it? Myself, I try not to make changes to the Colemak main block (anymore) but modular additions to the other layout aspects! I think that splitting up this small community into a bunch of "C*lem*k" fractions is a very bad idea but maybe others think I'm doing just that with all my talk about 3rd layer enhancements and Wide mods; who knows. It's not an easy subject. Also, I feel that for instance the Wide (or, more accurately, the Left Hand Angle) ergo mod is a better solution to issues that have prompted some of these fractions like the awkwardly placed 'b' key.

You could tweak my patch file manually, I believe. Then you'd have a fix for the latest Ubuntu at least - and you'd be able to select both the layout AND the wide keyboard (pc105wide) separately from the Gnome panels. To call it something else than 'colemak-ED' you should just search-and-replace in the patch file but make sure you don't use an existing layout name (a category in which 'culemak' fortunately for you doesn't apply). Then tweak the part of the patch that contains the four-level layout definitions (search for 'symbols' in the file). It should be fairly obvious to do. See, if you were using a "proper" Colemak I might do it for you but since you have a wrong vowel in there...  ;D

About the enter key: It's true that the it's is easier to hit with your Wide mod. It is however still a key used very often and moving it from the pinky to the index finger seems like a very reasonable decision considering ergonomic.

Culemak is only a slight variation on Colemak. Like your Wide mod is moves the keys 'z', 'x', 'c', 'v', and 'b' to the left. The Wide mod actually makes Culemak superfluous. But as I mentioned before the Wide mod doesn't work on my keyboard due to physical limitations.

Comfortable typing is of a bigger concern to me than keeping the community united. If not, I would still be typing qwerty.

Ah, that one! Thanks for reminding me. If it were me, I'd call that Colemak and add that it's been modded ergonomically - that's what I do. It's got a LeftAngle mod for ANSI keyboards, that's all. Otherwise, why not just call it Colemak since that's what it is? :) Especially since you can actually type all letters except the rarely used Z with the usual fingering (by keeping the left wrist straight instead of curved inwards which is a great improvement!). Also, Shai has agreed that using a wrist angle mod on 105-key keyboards is a good idea and this is just an optional way of achieving the same on a 104-key board at the expense of the placement of a rarely used letter (well, apart from the somewhat unfortunate effect on the Ctrl-Z shortcut that is).

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine that key placement improvements should be kept separate from letter layout improvements etc etc. You noticed, right? ;)

In this case, I'd recommend changing the ergo mod file instead of the layout file for a more robust result that could be used with QWERTY or what-have-you as well!

If you want to, I can help make such a file including BOTH the Wide and the "Culemak" keyboard model mods. I'll have to warn you that we'd need a better name for it then because it'd be dependent not on Colemak but only on the pc104 keyboard model! Since I've called the other one the "pc105wide" mod ("Generic 105-key (Intl) PC - WideErgo mod"), why not call this other one the "pc104angle" ("Generic 104-key PC - LeftWristAngle mod")?

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Nov-2011 09:50:11)

Okay, I went and did it! You can install my patch solution for Ubuntu 11.10 or any Linux using the same X11 version and a /usr/share/X11/xkb folder. Remember to back up your xkb folder first!!!

This is how the 'pc104angle' modded keyboard looks using Colemak-ED:

Colemak-ED-angle-Z_Linux.gif

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Dec-2011 15:21:28)