• You are not logged in.

From QWERTY to Colemak

• Started by xsysstar
    • 9 Replies:

L.S.,

I am of the "just before digital hype" generation; I have used DOS and Windows 3.1 before puberty. Putt Putt, Fatty Bear and "format C:" were my hobbies. So, I learnt using QWERTY by myself at a young age and never desired learning an alternative.

Probably a couple of months ago, I felt the urge to try something new. I was not dissatisfied with typing in QWERTY per se, but I wanted to know how easy it is to change habits. Was it a matter of training and effort? Or patience?

So, I investigated Dvorak but quickly learnt about Colemak. I installed the layout on my Windows 7 system and set it to be my default layout. I also modified my physical keyboard to resemble Colemak. I also installed the training program, but I haven't really used it apart from measuring my QWERTY typing speed (100+ wpm).

Setting the Colemak layout to be the default really helped to face this challenge. Every time I had to write a long text, I would reset it to QWERTY, but for all other programs (defaulting in Colemak) entering my input with Colemak, instead of switching to QWERTY all the time, was exactly the right small repetitive "chore/challenge", I find.

I use my computer a lot (perhaps 10 hours or more a day). You understand problems with typing are really annoying. I believe I quit using Colemak once or twice in the learning process, frustrated by the many typos. Even worse, there were these two weeks I couldn't seem to type in either Colemak or QWERTY. I actually felt as if I was degenerating. But then, some day, I seemed to suddenly "get it" and I could type in Colemak. Even now, it's no longer a hassle and I can dream the layout of Colemak almost as easily as I could for QWERTY. Typing speed is probably around 75% of my old top speed.

What I love about Colemak is, first and foremost, the extra backspace. Moving the semicolon from the homerow was a good decision too. The new combination for special symbols are also rather well thought-out. Sadly, Colemak is worse than QWERTY for the Dutch language, it seems. The often-used "ij" combination are distanced awkwardly; the 't' and 'd' are close together, while the "dt-mistakes" are already notoriously often made errors in the Dutch language (for grammatical reasons).

I also noticed a severe degradation in my QWERTY typing skills, since working in Colemak full time. I presume that "explicitly learning" Colemak has stupefied my QWERTY skills that I learnt as you learn walking. Even now, I can't remember the QWERTY layout anymore. I have read these skills are not lost and can be easily "re-awoken", so perhaps I need to revert to QWERTY for a while. Not knowing QWERTY is really annoying when working on the computers of others (which happens often).

All in all, Colemak has not changed my life yet. I do enjoy typing in it and I probably benefit from using the homerow more. Still, I don't know if I would recommend Colemak to others, given the cost of losing QWERTY skills, temporarily or not.

Thanks for reading!

The 'ij' digraph will take a little getting used to, but shouldn't be a problem after a while if you keep your wrists straight and type right.

The 'dt' digraph is one that I recommend typing with the index and middle finger, sliding in to hit it. With a little practice, that gets very smooth. (Same for 'nk' and others, btw.)

My QWERTY skills aren't bad since the dust settled. I just can't type it blindly anymore without frustration. While I was learning Colemak (and before that, Dvorak) things were much more confusing.

Hope you continue to challenge yourself so you can reap the full benefits of it once you're proficient! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I also couldn't type Qwerty AT ALL in probably the first 3-4 months of using Colemak. I had to look at the keyboard and typing probably at 10 wpm, looking for each letter. But I think later when I stopped thinking anymore about the letter positions on Colemak and since I often type a little bit on other computers, now I can type quite smoothly Qwerty with about 40-50 wpm while looking at the keyboard. And that without even putting any effort in. My current Colemak speed is about 80 wpm - for reference.
    I think if you use Qwerty every now and then, and especially if you don't necessarily need "blind" typing, you will quite easily regain those skills after you settle well on Colemak.

PS: Even more - if you think about how much more you've used Qwerty than me (I started using it when XP came out) and your Qwerty speed was almost twice higher than mine.

Last edited by pafkata90 (10-Nov-2011 19:46:45)

I stopped using Qwerty when I reached 30wpm in Colemak.

I always carry colemak.exe in my USB flashdisk so I can type in Colemak if I have to type long texts. For passwords and short texts, I look at the keyboard.

Here is the colemak.exe for any Colemak user in Windows environment.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?c84idcqnvt10y2y

Thanks for your replies.

DreymaR said:

The 'dt' digraph is one that I recommend typing with the index and middle finger, sliding in to hit it. With a little practice, that gets very smooth. (Same for 'nk' and others, btw.)

"dt" is not so much a digraph as it is an often-occurring effect of a grammatical rule. Mistakes with this specific grammar rule are rather frowned upon. So, the problem is the mistypings. E.g., "verbetert" and "verbeterd" are both correct, as are "word" and "wordt". Anyhow, it's just a minor inconvenience.

@All:
    So, what I notice from your responses, is that all of you have suffered a degradation in QWERTY (blind) typing skills, that hasn't been undone. Truth be told, that does make me worry; I need QWERTY skills. Is there anyone who has retained or effectively re-learnt fast blind typing skills of QWERTY?

I also wonder what sort of benefits I can expect from Colemak. It seems like Colemak is a superior layout from a theoretical point of view, but I am sceptical of the supposed implications (e.g., faster typing, less finger strain) for my case. What has anyone ever done to compare Colemak and QWERTY for himself?

To be efficient in both Colemak and Qwerty is similar to fluency in two languages. It require conscious effort and regular practice. It doubles the work and the time you should dedicate to typing exercises.

For Colemak benefit, it is comfort and typing feel. All topics in this Experience subforum stress it. You will have to feel it for your own experience, to incorporate it to your conscious being.

Last edited by Tony_VN (11-Nov-2011 10:23:20)

I do feel that I could've regained my QWERTY blindtyping skills in no time. I just don't want to. :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Exactly.

@pafkata90,

Most people stick to the old but comfortable habits. Imagine people crawl on the ground by new keyboard layout. In your case, the speed reduction was around 8 to 10 times slow.

@xsysstar,
    Since I started using Colemak with the mechanical keyboard, the minor finger pain is gone. I'm happy with Colemak. I've been typing like a machine for four weeks to learn new keyboard layouts both English and Korean. I'm a bilingual.

Last edited by penguin (12-Nov-2011 00:56:58)

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Well, I'll admit I have very little enthusiasm for 'regaining' the QWERTY skills, so Colemak must do something right. I'll see where this endeavour ends.

Thanks for all the replies.