• Index
  • Experiences
  • Learning to Touch-Type for the First Time -- With Colemak

Learning to Touch-Type for the First Time -- With Colemak

• Started by Michelle M.
    • 24 Replies:

[Warning: Giant wall of text ahead -- all typed in Colemak]

My History With QWERTY

I had an electronic typewriter as a young teen and got a computer in my mid-teens in the '90s, but I was always a hunt and peck typist -- even though I took a computer class at the local community college at 17, part of which required a keyboarding lesson.  The class was infrequent and the keyboarding such a small part that I found it uncomfortable and frustrating and just determined from the get-go that "I can't touch type."

This was, of course, on the QWERTY layout.

Flash-forward to my twenties when I got involved in web development as a hobby, and created a website for a TV show I liked.  Part of that involved transcribing the audio of each half hour episode for the enjoyment of my site's visitors -- and I typed all my transcripts with about 6 fingers in my now-natural fast peck style.

I was up to about 50-60 WPM typing that way, and never had any problems typing... But I realized that by not using all of my fingers, I likely wouldn't be able to get any faster.

My False Starts Learning to Touch-Type

Now we're at the present.  I have fatigue issues that make me have to work from home, and though transcription has always been at the back of my mind, I've always avoided it because I didn't think 60 WPM would allow me to do the work efficiently.  So at the start of the new year, out of work and thinking about transcription again, I said to myself, "I'm going to find some typing tutors and I'm going to teach myself to touch type."

I used the Sense-Lang and TypingWeb online tutors and started to learn QWERTY.  I noticed other layout options, but they sounded foreign to me, so I just put my head down and stuck with what I knew (I may have looked them up on Wikipedia just to know what the heck they were!).
    I wasn't too many days into learning QWERTY when the pain set in.  The fingers on my left hand started to feel a little numb and I thought, "Hmm, maybe I should switch to that Dvorak thing they say is supposed to be more ergonomic."

I researched Dvorak a bit more and found a QWERTY-to-Dvorak switching program and did maybe one or two lessons of it at Sense-Lang -- but I immediately noticed how much more it favored the right hand, which was quite a shock to lefty me.  I did a Google search for "'Dvorak'+'I'm left handed'" and found a thread at GeekHack where someone mentioned their choosing Colemak over Dvorak because of their own left-handedness.  Sounded good to me, and I liked how much more similar to my familiar QWERTY it was, while still claiming to be ergonomic, so I came here and installed Portable Colemak on January 7th.

January 7th – My Colemak Journey Begins

I initially attempted to do Colemak lessons at TypingWeb, because I had really come to like the style of that site's tutorial, but even though alternative layouts are available – including Colemak – the lessons are all the same, for QWERTY:  drilling F&J, D&K, etc.  It jumbled my brain too much; Sense-Lang wasn't exactly working for me either. I had to get some software.

My Software and Lessons of Choice

I started with TypeFaster, because I'm on WinXP.  The big onscreen keys that would light up which keys you're supposed to type really helped.  However, because even the first STNE lesson, typing actual words, was too much for me, I plugged in the lessons from LearnColemak.com, where I could drill only 2 keys at a time.   At that point I felt the similarity to QWERTY was both a blessing and a curse.  My brain and fingers and eyes were always at odds.

I established a routine of doing some lessons when I first got up, some in the day if I felt like it, and then the rest at night before bed so my brain could process it while I slept.

It was only a couple days (at most) before I felt ready for Shai's default lessons.  And not long after that that I had to leave TypeFaster behind because the giant light-up keys and strange scrolling were becoming a distraction.  I installed KDE for Windows, which has the option to install KTouch at the same time.  This was a great stepping stone for me, since the scrolling is smooth and there's a static onscreen keyboard.

I quickly got up to about 15 WPM with over 90% accuracy, but I did not go cold turkey.  Trying to type any emails, forum posts or IMs with Colemak was too frustrating.  It was so slow that I'd often leave out chunks of words because I couldn't maintain my train of thought.  I tried it while IMing with one friend on 1/09 and said: “Gahhhh. It shoud not take over a minute to type a simple sentence!” (sic)

Layout Doubts (And Why I Stuck It Out)

There were times when I doubted the layout a little bit.  Since the standard 101-keyboard  key positions make Z, X, and C almost impossible to type “correctly” (I use the ring, middle, and index fingers respectively), I considered the “Culemak” variant but ultimately didn't adopt it.  Typing Colemak this way makes “CT” digrams a little tricky, but not conceivably moreso than the “PT” digram, which is an accepted part of the layout. 
    I also find the D inward stretch to be rather taxing, and wondered why P, G, and D weren't rotated clockwise, since index-finger-up seems more natural and familiar for such an oft-used letter as D, especially coming from the common use of that key for R in QWERTY.  Having D where P is would also make the “DG” digram less of a leap of faith.... 
    However I do recognize such a movement would inconvenience the “SP” and “PS” digrams, which are probably more numerous. These considerations, along with the fact that I can't figure out how to get the CarpalX analyzer installed and working in Windows so I could properly critique my ideas, have compelled me to just learn Colemak as it is and hope I can eventually get comfortable with floating to D and G.

Building Steam and a Breakthrough

I continued on with Shai's lessons in KTouch, focusing more on the “common words” lessons as time went on, trying to work out mnemonic devices for finger strikes (I found it amusingly helpful that “FU” were the middle fingers) and trying to feel out simple rolls for common letter combos.  I was soon getting up to 20 WPM.

A real “trial by fire” came on 1/12, when I decided to write a 6-paragraph email to a friend.  I had stopped using the help image in PKL a while before, since all it seemed to do was get in the way, and when I struggled to remember a key what seemed to help the most was just closing my eyes, so I was on my own.  Taking frequent breaks and only writing a little at a time, it took pretty much all day to complete, but the exercise gave me a much-needed lesson in typing real words, real sentences, while composing at the same time.  I felt that I had really accomplished something!

The next day, 1/13, I got braver in using Colemak in IMs and short forum posts and emails.  It was still quite tiresome and by that evening I told my friend in IM: “I'm starting to hate typing.”

A Little Burnout

I had had some bad sleep over the weekend.  I think I dreamed about typing.  And I spent the time I was lying awake by imagining finger movements and key presses of the words I thought.  If only my fingers were as error-free in reality!
    By this point, R&S, E&I, and I&O still get confused on an annoyingly frequent basis.

I laid off my lessons for the most part on Saturday, but did work in a quick run through of Shai's lessons in KTouch, clocking an average of 25 WPM with 95% accuracy.

I was wanting a more detailed log of my progress, so on Sunday I installed Amphetype.  This was a new milestone – no onscreen keyboard!
    I learned how to use Amphetype with random excerpts from Hans Christian Anderson (I had yet to figure out how to take them in order).  My stats ranged from 17.5-23.7 WPM and 94.2-97.8% accuracy (not taking into account the abysmal lesson where I learned Amphetype doesn't forgive a single typo and wouldn't let me move on until I backspaced over everything and retyped it all correctly!).

Where I Am Now

Before bed on Sunday, I improved a bit with Hans, but the funky dialogue and punctuation were annoying me, so I downloaded and imported Grimm's Fairytales instead.  Much better:  23-25 WPM with mostly 96% accuracy.  Today, Monday, was even better still – one of my excerpts I was able to type 29.8 WPM with 98.5% accuracy!

So here I am, 10 days after starting with Colemak.  And though it's still slow – I have a ways to go before it's second nature and my mistakes are rarer (R&S still make me mad, and I've come to really hate the words “like” and “joke” and anything with the “kn” digram) – the Tips for Learning page is right:  “The first 10 days are going to be difficult ... but it will be worthwhile in the end.”  I'm now at a point where I felt I could register here and share my very long story without wanting to die halfway through (though it did take a little longer than I'd hoped and my typos are increasing as I reach the end).

As I look forward, I intend to install the registry-level layout, since my gaming keyboard and its speech macros don't seem to like the portable layout too much.  I'll do that once I can figure out how to set up a QWERTY portable keyboard layout I can have as a safety net in case I need to quickly peck out to my teammates that I'm surrounded by monsters, or if any QWERTY-using family or friends need to “use my computer for a sec.”
    Other than that, I'm anxious for the day that I feel like a solid Colemak typist, when QWERTY seems totally foreign, and I can hopefully be racing along at 70-80 WPM.

Wish me luck!  And thanks for reading!

You can install Colemak as a keyboard layout in Windows, so you can just have Qwerty and Colemak as two separate layouts. No need for registry remapping, if that's what you meant. Except maybe the CapsLock → Backspace, if you like that.

Every layout has a different feeling when you use it. It's true that Colemak makes use of the D and H's position, which for new-comers sometimes feels weird and non optimal, but you'll easily get used to it, and start liking it. I felt similar in the beginning but now D and H are the easiest letters to type for me after the ones on the home position.

As for the KN digraph: many people like to actually press the N with middle finger just in that case, to make the pair of letters feel more comfortable for typing. I tried it and personally find it less problematic in typing KN with the same finger than using the middle finger and then move my hand back to use E, I or O. Just something you might want to consider. There are other places where you can do these tricks like DG, BG, KL, VT, BD and so on, but I'd recommend to first get used to the "normal" way of typing and then modify your technique the way you like it. I brought it up only because you said you hate KN :)

Keep it up. I had a similar start to yours, speedwise, before I started touch typing – around 55 wpm. That was about a year and a half ago, or something like that. Now I'm peeking at above 100 wpm sometimes for short texts and IM. I'm in the 80s for longer. I'm just saying that because I think your goals of 70-80 wpm are quite reachable, and I think if you keep up training and typing regularly, you might very well go beyond. Of course, it's different for everybody.

Good luck with Colemak. I hope you'll love it. And keep us posted on your progress.
    If you haven't seen them, check typeracer.com and hi-games.net . Two websites for training and testing yourself. Many of us are there.

You are quite eager to learn, I think your speed will come to half Qwerty speed in 4-6 weeks. RS, EIO and FPG also bothered me at first, so more drills are needed.

For learning, you can install Colemak into your computer and still use Qwerty at first, as pafkata90 said. Typing IMs with 12wpm Colemak can be quite tiresome, you can do so with 40wpm Qwerty if you like to.

For TypeFaster blinking text, I pull the TypeFaster window down a bit so that the blinking text is out of the screen, but I still see the original text to type.

Keep practising. You will get half Qwerty speed in a month or so, and get the full Qwerty speed in 6-8 months.

Good luck. You will eventually enjoy typing in Colemak like most of us do.

Last edited by Tony_VN (18-Jan-2012 04:03:29)

I've never managed to get touch typing to stick. I'm hoping with colemak I might manage it. I can "sort of" touch type qwerty. As in, I can do it mostly when I am not thinking about it. As soon as I start to think about it, I fail. :)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne
    Creating brave new worlds, one word at a time . . .

Hi, everybody!  Thanks for the comments.  I read them all and took a lot of it to heart.  Just been busy and trying to build up my speed a bit before trying to reply.  I'm now at an average of 40 WPM in typing tests -- a little slower with free-form since my brain has 2 different things to think about.  But it's getting easier and the key locations are more ingrained.

pafkata90 said:

You can install Colemak as a keyboard layout in Windows

I had initially tried the Windows layout, but it would switch between QWERTY and Colemak when I moved between applications, so I thought it wouldn't work for me (and I had grown dependent on CapsLock-as-Backspace).  But when my idea of using the registry remap with a QWERTY Portable Keyboard Layout failed (might work with a simple AutoHotKey direct remap script -- e.g. s::d, t::f, etc. -- but I haven't had time to play with that), I went back to the Windows-based layout and figured how to tweak the settings so it wouldn't switch randomly.

I also made a little AutoHotKey script that turns the CapsLock into Backspace, with an additional little feature (taken from the AHK forums) that pops up an onscreen display when CapsLock, NumLock, or Insert are toggled.  I just run my little script with the Windows-based Colemak layout and have all the functionality I need.

My macro keyboard still isn't happy, but I'll work on that later.  Right now I'm satisfied with my solution for the tech aspect of the layout.  Most importantly, that means I no longer have to switch back and forth between layouts to do certain things. I know some people can maintain being able to use both, but personally I felt it was holding back my Colemak progression.

As for the KN digraph: many people like to actually press the N with middle finger just in that case, to make the pair of letters feel more comfortable for typing.

I was starting to clue into that just about the time you suggested it.  :)
    I really ran with that advice.  K+N are much easier that way, as are D+G.  I've since started to look for similar tricks to make other uncomfortable letter combos a little easier.  The only common trigram that really bugs me these days is "YOU."  Such a common word!  But there doesn't seem to be any other way to type it!

check typeracer.com and hi-games.net

I have signed up for each.  In Amphetype, I grew tired of the fairytales and couldn't really find any other texts that grabbed my fancy (I tried a psychology book, but my fingers cried, "We don't know any of these words!")...so most of my focused practice/testing these days has been at one of those sites.  I had hit a rather alarming plateau of 35 WPM just prior to using them, but they helped me break through.

@Harper_Jayne:
    O HAI!  :p
    I had found your blog post about your Colemak adventures and left a comment.  Only just now do I see you've joined us here (and had already commented on my adventures)!

Michelle M. said:

In Amphetype, I grew tired of the fairytales and couldn't really find any other texts that grabbed my fancy (I tried a psychology book, but my fingers cried, "We don't know any of these words!")

Here are some stories you could type with Amphetype

http://www.mediafire.com/?5bnc9j71959lb7t

20,000 miles under the sea - Jules Verne
    Anna Karenina - Lev Tolstoy
    Around the world in 80 days - Jules Verne
    Return Sherlock Holmes - Conan Doyle
    Secret Adversary - Agatha Christie
    Sherlock Holmes - Conan Doyle

Last edited by Tony_VN (03-Feb-2012 05:13:36)
    Michelle M. said:
    pafkata90 said:

You can install Colemak as a keyboard layout in Windows

I had initially tried the Windows layout, but it would switch between QWERTY and Colemak when I moved between applications, so I thought it wouldn't work for me (and I had grown dependent on CapsLock-as-Backspace).  But when my idea of using the registry remap with a QWERTY Portable Keyboard Layout failed (might work with a simple AutoHotKey direct remap script -- e.g. s::d, t::f, etc. -- but I haven't had time to play with that), I went back to the Windows-based layout and figured how to tweak the settings so it wouldn't switch randomly.

check typeracer.com and hi-games.net

I have signed up for each.  In Amphetype, I grew tired of the fairytales and couldn't really find any other texts that grabbed my fancy (I tried a psychology book, but my fingers cried, "We don't know any of these words!")...so most of my focused practice/testing these days has been at one of those sites.  I had hit a rather alarming plateau of 35 WPM just prior to using them, but they helped me break through.

1a) You hadn't ticked off the setting that uses the same layout for all apps. It's there both in Windows and Linux. Also, by default Windows has a hotkey (Alt+Shift I think) that changes layouts and it may get triggered accidentally; that can be removed fortunately. The Caps-as-Back trick may actually be implemented in a Windows install but it's fairly technical - however it's really easy and also more "correct" to do that one alone with the Registry method!

1b) PKL could do that but it's a bit backwards. You'd have to make a layout definition for it and there's really no need for that - I don't use the registry method at all anymore but PKL exclusively for my Windows needs. It also has a good popup if you need that, and I need it for its Extend functionality of which I'm officially a massive addict now!

2) I'm still not tired of the fairytales but there's tons and tons of other books you could type in! I found a lot at Project Gutenberg - been meaning to finally get to grips with The Art Of War that way but I'm still typing Alice Through The Looking-Glass (beastly, the old-fashioned punctuation and such a lot of it! - but still good fun what ho) so it'll be a while.

Best of luck with your further endeavors!

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Feb-2012 11:18:43)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

You can setup Colemak in Windows and set Colemak as the default layout (by putting it on the top over English US Intl), so that whenever you switch apps, Colemak will prevail.

Autohotkey or PKL will not work well if your speed is over 50wpm - some Qwerty keys will kick in.

Tony: I can type 80 WPM easily using PKL. You must be experiencing something weird I think.

I have experienced it as well (as Tony says). Maybe it's up to how much load your computer is in at the moment you're typing, so it can't keep up with the constant flow of hotkeys (as well as hardware). I'm using Windows 7 x64 on a laptop with Intel T9300 Core2duo.

Michelle, "you" is always a paint in the beginning, but trust me, once your fingers get used to it it becomes natural and really easy to type. More problematic would be the "the" word, cause your right hand has to move from the Shift, to H, then back for the E. But it actually isn't hard after a while. It's just causes some error sometimes mainly with the timing of the Space (or it could be just me?). Sometimes it happens that I write something like that: "...and I gave himt he keys...". But don't get me wrong – it's far from a problem, and I rarely do that.

DreymaR, I'm not sure what you mean is too technical when you say "The Caps-as-Back trick may actually be implemented in a Windows install but it's fairly technical". I don't suppose you mean the registry editing? There are programs these days which make this very easy. Or you mean to have it so it changes between BackSp. to Caps depending on the layout?

Maybe your program priorities aren't working as they should, or you've got something else muscling its way up the queue? I've never experienced such problems and I'm sure they could be helped in some way.

I mean that you may make MS KLC produce an install file that includes a Caps Lock remapping even though its GUI doesn't allow it. You'll have to intercept the C code file, edit it and then compile manually. Haven't done it myself but I heard Michael Kaplan himself mention it and I've made sufficient inquiry into the matter to believe it possible.

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Feb-2012 23:47:31)

Aha. Yes, nimbo was dealing with this in one of the threads around. I haven't done it myself either since I'm good with AHK scripts.

Michelle, sorry for spamming a bit on your thread :)

Hi again!  Checking in!

Regarding the key layouts:  I went the AHK route instead of registry remapping for CapsLock-as-backspace because I wanted to have the shift+CapsLock-as-CapsLock functionality, which I'd grown accustomed to.  CapsLock is quite useful for certain things, and I didn't want to be without it completely.  The setup I have going is working fine, now that I have it set to be persistent (disabling the layout switch hotkeys is definitely necessary) and also now that I'm used to it.

Still haven't solved the keyboard macros problems, but I use them so little that it's not much of an issue.  Someday I'll put some thought into it.

As for typing progress, anymore I only do Common Words/trouble words drills in Amphetype to improve accuracy  (my new nemeses are V and B).  Everything else has been practicing at Hi-Games and TypeRacer.  My typical range these days is 45-55 WPM.  A "bad race" is 40 WPM.  I laugh at that, remembering how recently I was dying to reach 40.

Once I get up to a comfortable 60 WPM, I'll probably dive into my ultimate goal, audio transcription.  I imagine that will be a real baptism by fire, considering I read on Wikipedia that 150–160 words per minute is the range that people comfortably hear and vocalize words.  If that doesn't make me faster, nothing will!

Since your Qwerty speed is about 60wpm, your Colemak speed cannot be faster than 80wpm, less than half speed required to do transcription.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your predictions, Tony.  :)

While my QWERTY speeds were 60 WPM -- that was two-finger typing.  I have absolutely no benchmark for touch-typing, and therefore can't accurately predict where my probable ceiling will be.

Secondly, while court reporters and the like are usually required to type at 150-160 WPM (speaking speed), general audio transcriptionists usually aren't (though obviously the faster you are, the better!).  That's what audio control pedals are for!

Last edited by Michelle M. (21-Feb-2012 07:01:54)

I see your point. Your Colemak speed may improve a lot more than your hunt and peck Qwerty speed.

If you can pause the audio, then you can do transcription at any speed. The faster you type the better.

Last edited by Tony_VN (21-Feb-2012 07:23:15)

Well for live transcription you could also use some sort of shorthand like the user proword does (video).

Last edited by boli (21-Feb-2012 08:40:58)

> Secondly, while court reporters and the like are usually required to type at 150-160 WPM

Don't they usually use a shorthand machine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenotype

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

Don't they usually use a shorthand machine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenotype

I honestly don't know much more about court reporting or stenography than the next guy, since it's not my goal nor my interest.
    Although I must correct my guess:  According to Wikipedia, it appears to be certified in that field, one must type at least 225 words per minute.

But as I said, that's not my career goal, and not what I'm learning Colemak for, since, as indicated, one likely uses a specialized machine.

Not 'likely' but certainly! Stenography is done with chorded machines using shorthand codes. That makes for much much faster typing, but it's hard to learn.

A 225 WPM would mean that only one (?) person in the world could do it if they were using normal keyboards. :)

> Stenography is done with chorded machines using shorthand codes. That makes for much much faster typing, but it's hard to learn.

It supposedly takes about 3 years to get going with typing:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t9t6r

Perhaps people should just skip the bog standard keyboard entirely...

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Maybe you guys missed the links in my earlier post. A user of this forum, named proword, actually does audio transcription. I linked to a video of him doing it with a Maltron keyboard, using Word Perfect shorthand. The other link lists many details on how it's done, including his shorthand code... :)

And this is a post in this forum explaining details.

Oh and welcome to the Colemak world, Michelle!

Last edited by boli (22-Feb-2012 21:12:15)

That way you don't type the text the way it's supposed to be read. You rather type it in a way that's understandable and can be "decrypted" afterwards. I may be wrong, but I believe that's the case.

Yeah, sure - but I'm thinking that these days there's got to be instant post-processing of the stenography available so that it in fact will come out the way it's supposed to be read? No? With today's computer power that shouldn't be much of a challenge methinks.

It isn't really a "standard".. encryption, if I can call it that. Every person uses his own style of shortening the words and therefore there must be either a standard implemented for such a software to work, or the software to be adaptable to the person's preferences.

Last edited by pafkata90 (22-Feb-2012 22:41:37)
      • Index
      • Experiences
      • Learning to Touch-Type for the First Time -- With Colemak