• You are not logged in.

My experience from qwerty to colmak !

• Started by md.amanuddin
    • 4 Replies:

I use Linux mint and Windows 7.I used qwerty for 6 years, but I didn't type the correct way. So, I taught myself to type correctly a month ago, I reached up to 40 wpm, then I wanted to switch to another layout, I don't know why.  :p

So, I found Dvorak, its good, but very different from qwerty, so, again I was dissatisfied. I was googling and googling and ----Eureka! I found Colemak. It is a great Layout but I have some problem with "O" "E" "I" "s", I guess I am new that is why, have only typed for a week, a total of 30 odd hours. Currently I am typing at around 20-30 wpm and its improving daily.

Practice is the key to learn any new keyboard layout. If you are switching from qwerty it will be a easier layout to switch to. Dvorak made me crazy! :p

That speed in a week is not bad. Your problems are quite common for every new Colemaker. They will disappear after a while. Just be more persistent then you were with Dvorak :P.

Great to see another Colemak user. You will enjoy it eventually like all of us do.

2x wpm after a week is very fast speed in my opinion.

Keep on practising, your speed will steadily increase. If your speed seems to stop increasing, try increase your accuracy for a change.

I will be persistent with it. I also mapped my caps lock to back space and back space to caps lock. It's cool now.

My Friends can't type on my keyboard. They are a bit annoyed with me. :p

Yes, that's one of the things that come with Colemak. Backspace under the left pinky is very nice, that's what I'm also using, but think about leaving a second backspace on its original position and finding another place for CapsLock (or combination of keys, depending on how you remap them). I'm not saying that it's definitely better – it depends on how you use CapsLock, but it's good to have two BackSpaces on both sides. After some practice you'll learn to use the opposite one depending on the following letters, which makes it much easier to type and reduces the error rate.