• You are not logged in.

Harper's Colemak: The Ongoing Saga

• Started by Harper_Jayne
  • 92 Replies:

So, here's the beginning of my journey.

I'm switching to Colemak for two reasons.

First, I want to see if I can't take the opportunity to learn to touch type.

Second, I am having increased pain in my wrists as a result of an uptick in my daily typing, and I want to use a layout that will help combat that.

I've looked at a bunch of different layouts and I've settled on Colemak. Dvorak, while supported a great deal, has some issues I will personally have issues with. One of the biggies is the shortcuts for editing. As a writer I use them a great deal. They are deeply ingrained in me, and I'd prefer to have them match the Qwerty locations as a result. Another is the fact that Colemak is pretty well supported. It's not Dvorak, but it is at least not as niche as Workman or any of the Carpalx layouts.

This is a post I'm writing in (very fast, actually, I don't test myself but I'm fairly certain my sustained rate is over 60WPM and I burst faster than that . . . people often ask me how I type as fast as I do when I'm not sitting on home row) hunt and peck on the Qwerty layout. All posts after this will be in Colemak. Unless I surrender.

My plans are to go cold turkey Colemak, hammer typing lessons with short breaks in between, and once I get up to the point where my speed has become reasonable (probably in the 30+ WPM department), start actually working again.

I am hopeful that this will not take an extreme amount of time. After all, I've got a novel to finish. ;)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne
Creating brave new worlds, one word at a time . . .

Harper_Jayne said:

After all, I've got a novel to finish. ;)

That sounds like a good amount of practice! And at your own tempo. When I started I did a lot of programming at uni with other people watching, so it didn't feel good to be slow. But it turned out allright :-)

Carry on, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I suggest you learn the full A-Z positions with TypeFaster for 2-3 days, then you can go cold turkey.

Luckily, Colemak keeps QWAHZXCVBM keys, so you only have to learn the rest 17 keys.

Colemak2.jpg

I am using the new layout as promised. My speed is not very good at all. I finished all the TypeFaster lessons for new keys and am working on actual sentences now.

I find it very frustrating but I have to persevere.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Sure the first three weeks are like hell. Better to practice Colemak first to reach 20wpm or so before using it full time.

Then the speed will increase surely and steadily, following a log curve.

Last edited by Tony_VN (02-Feb-2012 08:39:14)

Indeed. But if you're obstinate and decide to keep the "cold turkey" approach, you'll progress a bit faster. Up to you. That's how I started but if you have some deadlines you have to meet at your work, maybe you could work with both layouts in the beginning.

My deadlines are two novels this year. So I am mainly concerned that I get up to speed sooner rather than later.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Good luck then. I wish you the pleasant hours of typing to come very soon so you can start enjoying the layout as we do.

Hello, fellow (former) fast pecker!

At your stage, I found the lessons for beginners posted by nimbostratue to be very helpful.  The left hand- and right hand-focused exercises (though quite physically taxing) were especially beneficial for hammering into my brain which hands were now responsible for which letters.  The 1,000 common words one also makes it easier to use Colemak in your everyday life.

Good luck!  While researching new layouts myself, I noticed a list of "Famous Dvorak Users," but couldn't find such for Colemak.  Having you, a novelist, on our team is a step in that direction!  (Maybe you could make a mention of it in your book jacket [or the equivalent if you e-publish]!)

I just did the first lesson in that thread and had 7 WPM and 92% accuracy . . .

More work ahead I think.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

The left hand lesson was 18 WPM and 95% accuracy. Was useful I think.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Definitely useful. I actually did the Left and Right hand a few days ago to boost a bit on the accuracy.

So the right hand was 17 WPM and 95% accuracy. Need to move on to working both now.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

15 WPM and 93% accuracy with the 1000 most common words exercise. Man that one takes a lot of time when you type this slowly.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Nimbostratue lessons are very useful. I find the exclusive Left and Right hand lessons quite amusing.

I am hovering around 15 WPM on the various tests and exercises and my accuracy is around 96% . . . I am still unwilling to work like this though. I do not want my writing to suffer because of my typing skills.

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Good point. It may very well suffer if you have to think how to type.

Dus doe ik het gewoon niet, eventjes dan. ;)

I am cycling through some practices on TypeRacer and the Nimbo sets with a lot of resting between sessions. I am writing emails, tweets, site updates and the like. All of that is just to get a bit of speed and accuracy back before I go to work again.

Also of note is that my wrist pain vanished. Probably has a lot to do with how much less typing I am doing but I am willing to give the layout some credit too. :)

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (05-Feb-2012 04:02:58)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

Yes, the wrist pain would disappear with any layout given your current speed, but with Colemak it's quite unlikely to come again ;)

And by the way, I've been here for only a week or so. I'm quite far from knowing the language :P. Appreciate the effort, though.

You should try all TypeFaster lessons with at least 25wpm , 97% accuracy before doing any serious typing work.

On day 5 your speed is fine, but your accuracy need to be improved.

For RSI, you may consider buying a mechanical keyboard to make typing easier. Here is a Mechanical Keyboard Guide from overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/4917 … guide.html

Last edited by Tony_VN (05-Feb-2012 05:56:25)

Work hard on the language. Should only take six months or so. :) I found TV and magazines very useful. Also, try to speak as much as you can. They tend to switch to English a lot if they think your Dutch is crap.

I am going to get an Ultra Classic from Unicomp in a bit.

As for the error rate I see yours was no better at this point but it and your speed (which if you were using TypeFaster it was artificially high until you switched away; other programs are harder) did improve regularly. Mine will do the same. :) I actually think you had the advantage as well. You did not need to train yourself to take position on the keys since you were already a touch typist. I am not. Thus I have to teach myself a new layout and a new set of rules entirely.

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (05-Feb-2012 07:26:08)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

I'm staying here for only 5 more months so I don't know if I'm going to learn the language very well but every single word you know on a foreign language is precious, I've learnt that. It was the same when I first came to Denmark about 3 years ago.

I'm not sure if you were talking to Tony or me but regardless – everybody's experience is different and it's hard to compare, especially, as you say, since you're new to touch typing. Many factors take place. The important thing is to feel good about the layout and I think the best way to achieve that is by achieving high accuracy. Funny I should say that since mine sucks the last month haha, but it's true.

And you have a fair point about Typeracer. It may be misleading if you're training exclusively on it, but it definitely helps.

PS: Haha, nice timing on our two posts. Keep up the good work! 97% accuracy in the first days is very good.

Last edited by pafkata90 (05-Feb-2012 08:48:44)

I ran out of time to go further but I can confirm that through lesson six I am over 25 WPM and also have 97% accuracy. I will do more tomorrow but as I said TypeFaster is artificially easy. It is a good first step but the words are short and follow patterns which make them easy compared to the other stuff I am at like 15 or so WPM on. (A ten letter word with capitalization and punctuation is a lot harder than two short and related words.)

Last edited by Harper_Jayne (05-Feb-2012 08:47:30)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

The more words of foreign languages you learn the easier the next language gets! :)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne

This new entry covers my thoughts on what metrics mean to the actual act of writing.

(Seeing as my profession is writing, I look at all these metrics with a great deal of skepticism. For me the tools need to be in the background before I can use them.)

SF&F Writer Harper Jayne