• You are not logged in.

My quick switch to colemak

• Started by Weirwindle
    • 5 Replies:

Last year I had never heard about Dvorak or Colemak. Over break (the beginning of this month) I had an idea to start switching around my keys (\ < > : and ;) to be
    able to better configure a few applications. I searched and found keytweak and it worked perfectly. At this moment I discovered that many people had switched
    their caps and backspace, which was ingenious to me.

That led to this forum and colemak. I was discouraged at first due to having a strong 60 - 65 wpm rate with qwerty and not wanting to lose all speed for at least
    a couple months.

I decided to make the switch about two weeks ago (a very slow week during the semester) and downloaded the program, amphetype for practice, and made a simple
    batch file for quick switching (just restart explorer.exe) between qwerty and colemak, the weekend after (1-21-12). I decided to go with the cold turkey approach.

The sunday after, I memorized the entire colemak board (over a few hours with minor breaks), my name (Timothy Cookson), login names and passwords, and short words
    like "the, that, when, from, and, want, were", etc. I was able to trot along at about 13 +- 3 wpm at about 94% accuracy and hit 18 wpm a couple times before bed.

The next day after a couple hours of drills I was at about 18 +- 4 wpm regularly and was hitting 25 wpm 1/6 trials with 93% accuracy (I was really trying to push my limits)
    and by the end of Tuesday I was sweating and shaking after pulling a 28 wpm @ 97% out of nowhere (it wasn't as bad as it sounds).

On Wednesday I never went below 27 wpm nor 95% accuracy after 30 trials. I topped out at 32.4 wpm on a 70 word trial with 96.6%.
    I skipped out on practice for two days and went back to qwerty for a bit of programming. I also tested my qwerty speed but was never able to get over 55 wpm :(
    Thankfully my colemak speed didn't suffer at all afterward. I was still at about 30 wpm on Friday and finally hit my goal of 35 wpm that night
    (which was the point I choose to never turn back to qwerty).

Over the weekend was shadowing 40 wpm at 97%. And today (Tuesday 1-31-12) I have just tasted the sweetness of 43 wpm (20 wpm from my original qwerty speed).
    I will leave my keys where they are (other people use my comp). I have had absolutely no trouble with r,s,e,i,g or j. My problem still lies with f and p.

Slowest keys:
    p - 10.0 @ 91%
    f - 11.5 @ 80%
    k - 12 @ 83%
    r - 16.5
    l, u, g, y - 18.5
    d - 22

fastest keys:
    space - 95 @ 99.8%
    h - 87
    a - 77
    o - 61 @ 97%
    e - 58 @ 96%
    n - 53 @ 96.5%
    t - 47 @ 97.5%
    w - 40

PS: all this was written in colemak

That reminds me of my own first steps... it was an exciting time :-)    Almost a year ago now.

Welcome to the forum!

Exciting times, indeed. Have fun and enjoy the new layout! It's only going to get better.
    And welcome to the forum, there's ton of interesting and useful information around.

Congratulations! Your fingers will be happy to stay most of the time on the home row.

Grats, and welcome to a better layout! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Good luck !!