• You are not logged in.

How can I do registry remapping on a Mac?

• Started by tomorris
    • 2 Replies:

I'd like to just do that, instead of messing with the input menu thing.

I also want to be able to input Chinese in Colemak.

Technically, you can't. The Mac doesn't have a registry as it's a Windows thing.

I'm pretty sure there's some way to remap your virtual key codes, but I haven't got the foggiest as to how.

A quick search netted me this link to something called KeyRemap4MacBook - maybe that could be helpful?

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Mar-2012 20:32:45)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

In addition to what Dreymar posted you could also use the more general purpose input device driver ControllerMate.

It allows you to remap key codes, among many other things. I used that feature while testing a TrulyErgonomic keyboard, which does have some keys in unusual locations - for example the Shift keys are a row higher up than on other keyboards, and by default there is no Command key to be operated by the thumb.

ControllerMate allowed me to make some adjustments.

Note that it requires you to be logged in, as the remappings are per user - in the login screen, your personal configuration won't take effect.

To enter Chinese maybe a keyboard layout editor such as Ukelele is more up to the task. I used Ukelele to move a few letters in the Colemak Alt/Option layer. Note I'm not familiar with Chinese text input, and a quick search resulted in utter confusion, so take this with a grain of salt. ;)

Last edited by boli (04-Mar-2012 23:32:10)