• You are not logged in.

I am learning colemak now

• Started by anvesh
    • 3 Replies:

Hi,

I used to type with 6 fingers earlier. I started learning touch typing last month on dvorak, then I realised the right pinky problem and insanely messed up shortcuts.

I switched to colemak last weekend. No complaints so far.
    The only gripe is that my muscle memory is totally mixed up (qwerty+dvorak+colemak). It has become much harder to learn now.

I am learning using Ktouch.

I have a few questions:

1) Is it better to learn in Ktouch with the reference keyboard layout displayed on the screen or by hiding it ?

2) How much time does it take to learn touch typing on an average assuming 1 hr practise per day ?

3) When I use the protable colemak exe for windows my autohotkey shortcuts ( alt+ctrl+Key combinations only)  are not working. How to solve this?

TIA

Welcome to Colemak!

3) What shortcuts? Ones you have in another AHK script? Because you can only have one AHK keyboard hook at a time so if you use PKL then any other script with a hook will either win over PKL or be won over by PKL depending on which script started last. The fancy solution is to #include one script in the other, as long as you don't have overlapping variable names.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yes, I have a separate autohotkey script where I have all my personal shortcuts.
    How do I include this file in the PKL?
    All the files in the PKL folder are ini files. I cannot find the AHK file used to compile PKL.

Edit: I have got the full source package, found the AHK. I'll try including it now. 

Thank you

Last edited by anvesh (08-Mar-2012 21:35:30)

1) Pretty the same. You will not look at the keyboard after two weeks anyway.

2) Perhaps three months of learning touch typing will do you well. Maybe more or less, but after three months I reach my old Qwerty speed.