• You are not logged in.

The transition

• Started by metamorph88
    • 1 Replies:

Hi guys,
      This is my first post here at the forums. I'm a QWERTY touch typist from India. Ive been aware of the alternate layouts for a while but never really bothered to try one out till recently and first learned to touch type sometime around 2000 on my mom's old typewriter (I was bored and thought touch typing was cool). MY typing speed on that is about 65 wpm with 100% accuracy (tested here: http://patorjk.com/typing-speed-test/), despite being used to QWERTY I decided to check out Colemak primarily because I've read a lot of positive reviews & some convincing data. Finger comfort was the main motivation, followed by speed.

I initially considered switching to Dvorak but from what I've read and seen Colemak is better than it if not just as good, also the change from QWERTY was much less. So, now I've been practicing on TypeFaster for about 5 days now learning a new lesson each day, from my experience so far Colemak feels a bit more comfortable compared to QWRTY. I'll post updates in this same thread.

Progress:
    (first week) Home row + 4 letters in the top row : avg 20 wpm @ 98% accuracy.

Welcome! Hope it'll be fun and rewarding. :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***