• You are not logged in.

100+ WPM after 10 months of using Colemak

• Started by Qnfauf
    • 5 Replies:

How I began: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1111

After little less than 10 months of using Colemak, I can now consistently type at 100+ WPM according to the tests I've taken online.

So after using it for 10 months, I can confidently say that switching was a great idea for the following reasons.

1. I type faster than I did with Qwerty, and it will even get better over time as it has only been less than a year.

2. It is less stressful for my hands/fingers.

3. In addition, typing on Colemak feels like it takes much less effort. My hands don't really need to move around.

4. My friends always get confused when they try to use my computer. It's quite funny to see them keep hitting backspace for several seconds until realizing something is not right.

There have been difficulties, but not anything major (at least once I learned how to deal with them).

One difficulty was gaming that uses Qwerty. For quick games (like flash games online) that needs Qwerty keyboard, I can easily change layout with either a hotkey combination or clicking on the Language Bar. For other games that I play often, I just need to go to settings and change keys. Something like Starcraft where hotkeys are not only positional but also depend on the letter is more tricky, but in this case using Grid Layout solved the problem.

Another difficulty was using other computers. If I just need to type a few things, I just look at the keybaord and use my two index fingers. Otherwise, I set up this url so that I can download an executable Qwerty-to-Colemak program: http://qnfauf.com/qtc.exe. (Feel free to use this anywhere. I made this using autohotkey. Use Shift+Space to toggle between Qwerty and Colemak.) It only takes a few seconds to download and run this on any computer, and I am good to go with Colemak.

Using Korean with Colemak was probably the most difficult thing for me, but this probably does not apply to most people. I could easily set it up so that I can switch between Microsoft's Korean IME and Colemak, but the problem was that the Korean IME is based on Qwerty. It means that if I were to use hotkeys while Korean IME is being used, it will be Qwerty. After an extensive research, I found an IME made by a group of people in Korea that support Dvorak and Colemak. It is a bit buggy, but I am happy with it. I just hope I can continue using it in the future because it is not being managed by anyone. If that happens maybe I will just learn how to make IMEs :) (If anyone here is Korean, 새나루 is the name of the program.)

So if anyone is wondering if switching to Colemak is worth it, I would say go for it if you type a lot. It really is better than Qwerty. Most people will not have to worry about another language not working well with Colemak, and non-gamers do not need to worry about games.

Great story to read, thanks qnfauf.

It's inspiring to see another Colemak user who has endured the tough switching experience and even figured ways to use Colemak with games and languages like you.

Awesome.

I use IBus for Korean/English writing in Debian GNU/Linux. Colemak and 3-set final (세벌 최종) works like magic to me.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Awesome story to read, everyone must have to read this once.

Last edited by ThomasPaul (30-May-2012 00:39:30)

Nice write up.  @qnfauf can you please explain further your difficulties regarding Korean input.  I'm a native English speaker/writer and am always curious to know how other language speakers interact with their computers.  In Korea  - as standard do you have a printed Qwerty keyboard, or does it come dual labelled?  Which is your primary input language - Korean or English?   And which is easier?

Last edited by pinkyache (30-May-2012 10:03:33)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

First, thanks for the positive comments :D I visited this forum to see if there were any posts in my thread I can reply to, and, although I'm late, there seems to be one.

pinkyache said:

Nice write up.  @qnfauf can you please explain further your difficulties regarding Korean input.  I'm a native English speaker/writer and am always curious to know how other language speakers interact with their computers.  In Korea  - as standard do you have a printed Qwerty keyboard, or does it come dual labelled?  Which is your primary input language - Korean or English?   And which is easier?

Other languages that do not work like English (where letters are not simply written in order and/or where too many different letters exist to be able to be simply typed) use different systems, but I can only explain how Korean works because I have never typed other languages.

Korean has 14 consonants and 10 vowels. At least one consonant and one vowel combine to form a letter. So when you type, the letters are combined as you type consonants and vowels. The keyboards in Korea has both Korean label and Qwerty label on each key. Because English has 2 more letters, those two extra spaces are used for combined vowels that are used a lot to make typing faster.

The way Microsoft's IME works is that a key is assigned to toggle between English and Korean, and whichever language selected at that time is used. Because Microsoft IME only has Qwerty, I decided to use IME for typing only Korean and use a separate Colemak layout, switching between them using Ctrl+Shift. The problem, however, was that when the IME was selected, the hot keys would register as Qwerty. So I found a different Korean IME that is based on Colemak.

I wouldn't really be able to say which is my primary input language is because I feel a bit more comfortable speaking/writing Korean but I spend more time typing English as I am living in the U.S. However, I do feel that Korean is in generally easier to type. Left hand types all consonants and right hand types all vowels (at least in the layout that is used the most), and because Korean alternates between consonants and vowels, alternation between the two hands is almost guaranteed.

Last edited by Qnfauf (04-Jul-2012 01:35:41)