• You are not logged in.

Colemak FTW! :)

• Started by dietsche
    • 19 Replies:

I started learning Colemak exactly a week ago and took advantage of the long holiday this past weekend. Today I used it the entire day at work (including vim)! On qwerty, I type around 90 wpm with 98%-99% accuracy at my 'normal speed' and have been clocked at over 100 wpm at typeracer.com recently.

My experience so far is that after 7 days of practice, I have a 37 wpm typeracer average. Today was good at work, but the last 30 minutes or so, I wanted to switch back to qwerty. I didn't though :)

Vim is OK... I keep hitting ss instead of dd, but the mnemonic system used in vim actually makes the change not too bad. The hjkl navigation change is really annoying, and I'm going to have to figure out something for that.

What else? The nicest thing so far is that I really do notice the difference in how much my fingers have to move when compared to qwerty. It's much more comfortable.

This post was brought to you by Colemak on a Kinesis Advantage keyboard! :)

Last edited by dietsche (30-May-2012 03:23:52)

Quick update, my typeracer average is now 46 wpm (day 10 - I started learning colemak on the 21st). I'm using Colemak fulltime at work since day 8, and that includes using it with vim. For vim I've decided to NOT do any remapping. The arrow keys are taking some getting used to, but they're ok... and when they're bugging me, I just use the arrow keys on my kinesis keyboard which are quite well placed.

Yesterday I was really frustrated and almost gave up (first day with vim), but when I tried to switch back to qwerty, I realized two things; 1) Colemak is *much* more comfortable to type in than qwerty and 2) I've lost my speed on qwerty, so I'm typing about the same speed as I do in colemak. The end result is that I decided to stick with colemak.

Wow, 8 days and your speed is 46wpm. How many hours of practice do you do each day?

For measuring speed, you may try http://hi-games.net. Most of us are there. This website can replay your fastest performances.

Last edited by Tony_VN (01-Jun-2012 08:40:29)

I have a little trick that helps vim as well as everything else: Extend mappings! I tried vim remaps at first but I've come off it now.

I use them on Windows (with PKL) and Ubuntu (using my own XKB hacks - not perfect but still awesome) both.

Basically, CapsLock plus UNEI is arrow keys, LY Home/End, JH PgUp/PgDn, Q Esc (useful in vim), O; Back/Del etc etc.

That way you have Omnimode navigation and whatnot, and you can still use things like 5(Caps+E) to go down 5 rows in vim.

Cmk-ISO-Extend_90d.png

Last edited by DreymaR (01-Jun-2012 10:33:20)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hi :)
    Thanks DreymaR for the vim tip! I'll definitely take a closer look at it this weekend when I get some time. It seems like you have a very elegant solution :) I really haven't liked most solutions I've found so far... for example, Ryan Heise's remapping seem popular, but i use t/T all the time and his remapping destroys that workflow... for example, I often find myself doing 'ct)' when working on C code.

Tony: I've been practicing every chance I get. At night I've been typing until my accuracy goes down, then I go watch some TV for 30-60 minutes, and then type some more. I'm trying to keep my focus on accuracy so that I learn not to try to reach for the qwerty key. Also last weekend was a three day holiday, so I took full advantage of that. Plus, I have to be productive at work, so I decided to train hard now to make sure my work isn't affected.

Scores:
    dietsche, Typing Test: 1 Minute, 46 wpm
    dietsche, Typing Test: 1 Minute, 47 wpm

http://hi-games.net/typing-test,60/watch?u=5990

Last edited by dietsche (01-Jun-2012 12:14:48)

Well done dietsche. At your rate of improvement I think that you will get your old Qwerty speed in less than 6 weeks.

Thanks Tony! My co-workers think I'm weird, so its nice to have some encouragement.

So, day 15 - my typeracer average is now 59 wpm @ 90-95% accuracy. My best speed so far was 68 wpm on some text that was mostly home row. I wasn't able to practice at all this weekend, but have been able to practice after work. The accuracy still seems key... I need to get that up - I'm not used to making this many mistakes! I'm finding that at my current speed, muscle memory is the limiting factor since my mind can't double check everything I'm typing anymore to be sure it's correct.

Other notes, when I start "cold" and haven't been typing much, my speed is about 50 wpm. After a few warm up runs, then it jumps to around 60.

Last edited by dietsche (06-Jun-2012 04:40:07)

You're welcome dietsche. Typing in Colemak is definitely going up the stream, and you will enjoy many weird looks from colleagues and friends.

For accuracy training, you may try Typeracer universe
    http://play.typeracer.com/?universe=accuracy

This is quite tough and demands 100% accuracy, so your accuracy can be improved much more faster using this mode.

Wow, instant death mode is hard!! But good :) Thanks for the tip!

I've not been able to practice much at all, but am using colemak fulltime at work and home. It's been 27 days, and my typeracer average is (and has been) hovering right around 62 wpm for the past two weeks. My accuracy has improved though. The fastest I've typed there so far is 70wpm. I think it's mostly a confidence thing now. I have to stop worrying about which key to hit and let my fingers go :)

Nice progress dietsche. Yes, try switching between aiming for speed and accuracy, I found that a good practice when I was learning the layout.

Just thought I'd post another progress update.

I switched back to qwerty for the past 4 weeks because I needed to type faster and more accurately to get a project at work done on time. It took me about 2 days to regain most of my qwerty speed (80 - 85wpm, 98% accuracy). Sure, it's about 10wpm slower than I was when I was fully qwerty, but I don't feel like I'm typing slowly! :)

Now that things are settling down, I'm moving back to Colemak. Crazy thing is that I just tested my speed, and I'm at 55wpm, 90% accuracy on Colemak... which is almost exactly where I was when I left off a month ago. So it seems that for me at least, going between Colemak and qwerty isn't going to be a huge problem so long as I make time to practice qwerty every now and then. It's good to know, and it alleviates my fear that I could completely loose my qwerty skills.

Good to hear. I agree with you that if needed, you can always (fairly) quickly regain your Qwerty speed, at least I can, and I've been touch typing Qwerty for only about 6 months before I started Colemak. The question is if you need to – that depends on your work mostly.

Keep it up and progress fast ;)

Howdy everyone! Thought I'd write another short post with my current speed... my current typeracer average is hovering between 71 and 75 WPM. My all time best is 86wpm! I've been stuck at about 60-65 wpm, but this past week, my speed all of a sudden took off and jumped into the 70s. At this speed, colemak is starting to feel pretty comfortable! This is day 119 for me. So almost at the 4 month mark, except that I took a month off away from Colemak :)

Also, I stumbled across this document that tells about a few different Typeracer universes... pretty cool :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ztJ … n_US&pli=1

Did you change your style at all to make that small leap?  Can you attribute it to anything?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

@dietsche

You've demonstrated awesome progress of Colemak transition.

Will you double your Qwerty speed? I'm kidding.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Thanks guys! Yes, I have been practicing more, but not substantially more. I'm now approaching 80 wpm, and colemak is really starting to feel comfortable. At this point, I consider my switch to Colemak to be complete. My goal is to get to 100 wpm though, so I will keep practicing and trying to improve. According to my typeracer stats, I gained 5 wpm last month:

Month    Average    Best    Races    Wins    Win %
    September 2012    72.83    91.27    315    116    36.83
    August 2012    67.74    84.39    364    111    30.49
    July 2012    56.18    73.02    51    18    35.29
    June 2012    56.22    72.49    298    72    24.16
    May 2012    40.27    50.62    100    23    23.00

For the record, I toyed with going back to QWERTY now that my hands are feeling better and decided against it. Colemak is actually better for using VIM than QWERTY is in my opinion, and for normal typing, Colemak is less movement for the fingers - and the difference there is very noticeable. That's why I'm sticking with Colemak for the foreseeable future :)

Just thought I'd post an update on my progress with Colemak. I've been typing for 3 years now using Colemak. My primary motivation for switching was pain in my hands. That pain has not fully gone away, but it is much, much better. I find that my typing speed and endurance is limited by hand pain these days. I was a 110wpm typer on QWERTY. I peak around 105WPM on Colemak currently and average around 95 - 100 wpm.

So, with 3 years in, what would I tell someone who's thinking about Colemak? "Just do it!"

You won't type faster if you're already an accomplished typist. You WILL save WEAR on your hands. The analogy I frequently use is this: You're in a car and are driving to your destination. You have two routes that you can take to get there. One is 50 miles and takes 90 minutes. The other route is 101 miles and takes 90 minutes. If you're like me and want less wear and tear on your car, you'll probably pick the 50 mile route because it takes the same amount of time while requiring less maintenance on your car, and much less fuel.

If I had one piece of advice it is to avoid the mistakes I made when learning the layout. I stopped one month in and went back to QWERTY, then a month later I switched back to Colemak. BIG Mistake. Secondly, train by printing off a piece of paper with the Colemak layout on it. look at this piece of paper and not your hands. You'll learn much faster. Finally, type correctly. Don't go for speed. Speed comes with correct typing. Every typo you make costs you a minimum of 3 button presses and KILLS speed! It's ok to type words you know fast, and to slow down for ones that give you trouble! Over time your fingers will learn and adapt and become faster. Finally, it will take about 9 months, but the word "you" will begin to feel normal. QWERTY has awkward combinations too, but you don't notice them because you've become accustomed to them! I do type in QWERTY occasionally, and there are many words that are clearly more comfortable to type using Colemak.

*Overnight success?
    No. Learning Colemak takes hard work and dedication. You will need to work at it. It took me about 1.5 years to get back where I was with QWERTY (to the point that I don't have to think about which letter I'm pushing on the keyboard and know exactly which finger presses each key as if it's a natural thing).

More about my setup.
    * VIM
    I am a full time VIM user (I spend most of my time using vsvim in visual studio doing C# programming). I also use VIM on Linux and BSD regularly for side and weekend projects. I also use ViEMU in Microsoft Word. I don't remap any vim keybindings. ( see https://github.com/dietsche/dotfiles for my vim configuration). Once you learn where the keys are, it's really not a big deal. Most vim keys are mnemonics (d=Delete, i=Inside, etc...), and surprisingly, many common vim key combinations are actually BETTER using Colemak. For example, "O" "n", "vt" and "di" in visual mode.

Because I spend most of my time in VIM, I've remapped CAPS-LOCK to ESC.

* C#
    In an effort to reduce programming effort, I've remapped curly braces and square brackets. For example, { is [ and [ is }.  Same goes for the ] and } combos...

* How I configure my computers:
    I install the windows specific Colemak keyboard layout and use WIN+space to switch the keyboard for non Colemak users.
    OpenBSD - I type arcane commands to turn on colemak ;)
    Linux - has colemak pre-installed
    Mac - has colemak pre-installed

My work computer and primary desktop computers are different. I use an Kinesis Advantage keyboard with the remappings described above. For other computers, I use this: https://www.gregd.org/stuff/RemapCapsLo … StoESC.reg to change the caps lock key to ESC.

Hope this helps anyone who's new and starting out!
    Hit me up with any questions you might have - and happy Colemaking!!

Greg

Last edited by dietsche (19-May-2015 22:17:42)

wise words

tarmak is an ally too

Excellent post dietsche.

Because I spend most of my time in VIM, I've remapped CAPS-LOCK to ESC.

But, then, where is your backspace key?

From the Colemak FAQ,

Even if you decide not to learn the layout, I recommend remapping the Caps Lock key to Backspace. That change alone results in a 15%-20% reduction of finger distance on QWERTY.

Shai's vim configuraton file remaps Tab to Esc. It's nearly as easy to hit as CapsLock and allows you to use CapsLock for Backspace instead.
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=50