• You are not logged in.

Almost 2 months with Colemak

• Started by Fan
    • 4 Replies:
    • Fan

I'm a 17 year old Colemak user who discovered Colemak by using a forum. I used Dvorak at one point but gave up after two days. Then I decided to try Colemak in mid-April, and I stuck with it. When I was using a QWERTY keyboard, I wasn't a touch typist. I only typed with a few fingers on each hand. I remember showing the keyboarding teacher at my school the way I typed, and he said that he had never seen someone type that way before.  The weird thing was that I was so used to typing with the QWERTY layout I wouldn't have to look down at the keys. I would estimate that my typing speed was around 45 WPM. I was typing with QWERTY for as long as I can remember.

I decided to do colemak on a whim. I admit it was difficult at first, because I had to learn how to touch type while learning a different keyboard layout. Now though, it is natural to me. I practiced around 1-2 hours each day, in addition to being a high school student. At first, I used QWERTY to type up my papers, while using Colemak for everything else. After around two weeks in, I disabled typing on QWERTY on my Mac.

I used several different methods to learn the Colemak layout, but I never did have a layout chart next to me. I first tried to use the recommendations from the Learn page, but I felt dissatisfied with it. I used keybr for a little while, before getting dissatisfied with words that didn't exist.

Then I discovered Type-Fu around one and a half weeks in. I basically learnt the whole Colemak layout from this typing tutor. I started from their lessons at level one, and I moved up through the levels at the time they wanted until I reached level 9. I reached this in two days. I had a little difficulty with the letters P, J, and L at first, but Type-Fu straightened this out. A few days after getting to level 9, I disabled QWERTY. I would highly recommend using Type-Fu, because after I progressed through the lessons, I had a good understanding of the layout. It also shows you which letters you mistyped the most, and gives you detailed graphs on your speed and your accuracy, over a period of time, and in that session.

I then registered for Typeracer. I got frustrated at first, because I was a beginner, and left the account for a few days. During this time, I went back to Type-Fu and began practicing some more. I managed to get my speed up to over 40 wpm which almost matched my QWERTY speed, and began racing again. As of right now, I have an average of 45 wpm. I don't race much though on there, and in the practices I can get to above 50 wpm. I just took the typing test on hi-games right before hand, and I got 53 wpm. My accuracy varies, but it hovers in the 90% range.

Now I am extremely glad I decided to switch on a whim. Typing feels natural for me. I was beginning to have hand pain with my typing method. Now, when I have to use a QWERTY layout, I try to use the converter on the site if I can. Otherwise, I have to look down at the keys before I start to type, and then revert back to what I did before.

The only tip I have for people who are trying to learn Colemak is to practice. I still practice using Colemak in hopes that I will break the 60 wpm barrier on a typing test.

Thanks for the Type-Fu tip I'm going to buy the mac app. If you have a mac check out my post https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?pid=9760.

Welcome to the forum Fan!

Congrats on your success with the layout! I think you can reach 60 wpm. I was just like you not so long ago. Then touch typed Qwerty for maybe half a year, went to about 55-60 wpm. Now, after a little more than a year with Colemak, I'm 90-100 wpm, so I think your goals aren't too high, especially since you reached your previous speed in 2 months.

Good luck ;)

• Fan

When I started this thread I was in High School, and now I will graduate college next year. It's funny how time passes.

It's been almost 4 years since I posted this, and I am happy to report that I still use the colemak layout, and it is now my primary layout. I maintain reasonable proficiency with the QWERTY layout, because I usually don't want to switch it in an office environment. When I did switch it once, it took the people in the office quite a few days to figure out how to switch it back since I accidentally left it on the colemak layout.

At the time that I posted this thread, it seems like I wanted to reach 60 wpm on a typing test. I surpassed that goal a long time ago, but I don't know how long ago that I passed it. When I do take typing tests, I average in the upper 80 wpm, lower 90 wpm range. I do believe that I could type slightly faster if I did take more typing tests but I simply don't have the time do so.

Most of all, what I feel the happiest about is my ability to touch type now. Using the QWERTY layout, I had difficulties touch typing, and I ended up typing with 3 fingers or so on each hand. I am completely comfortable using the colemak layout now, and I can fully touch type. As a matter of fact, my peers compliment me because I can completely look away from my computer while typing, and still maintain near perfect accuracy. In short learning Colemak definitely changed my life for the better.

Good to hear, Fan!

Have you checked out any of the other wonderful possibilities such as Extend? See my sig topics for instance.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***