• You are not logged in.

CS's Colemak TypeRacer Experiment

• Started by Colemak Schlick
    • 8 Replies:

I've been typing with a Qwerty keyboard for almost my entire life, but I have never been very good at it. I couldn't touch type, but I still managed to get by with a mediocre 50-ish WPM with an awkward, three-fingered hunting and pecking technique. So, after purchasing a fancy new Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard a few months ago, I made myself promise that I would learn to touch type. I found this amazing website that had excellent Qwerty typing lessons. Once I finished those, I started practising on TypeRacer.com. I managed to get the average of my last 10 races up to about 53 WPM within a month of starting touch typing.

I was quite satisfied being a Qwerty typist until I started talking to an old friend about my touch typing experiences. He mentioned that he was interested in learning the Dvorak layout, but didn't want to deal with the hassle of it all. This got me interested in looking into alternative keyboard layouts since I had so much fun learning how to touch type on my Qwerty keyboard. After pasting some of my writing into this website that determines which layout would work best for you, I found out Colemak should be a good fit.

I installed the Colemak layout into Windows 7 and gave it a shortcut so I could easily switch between Qwerty and Colemak. I went through the TypeFaster Colemak lessons to memorize the layout. Then I started typing again on TypeRacer with a new account. I've been averaging about ten races a day since May 26, 2012. I don't type a lot besides the typing tests, although I do tend to get a little verbose on the internet from time to time. If someone used a keyboard for work, I imagine that their speeds would increase far faster than my own.

Anyway, my average typing speed is now about 73 WPM. I made a graph of my progress that you can see below:

typingProgress.png

I know that my speeds are not super impressive, but I thought that it might be interesting to see how a mediocre typist improves his speed over time.

The only tip I would mention to someone just trying out the Colemak layout is to completely forget about typing fast and focus on accuracy. If you have already learned how to touch type on a Qwerty keyboard, you will have learned several good typing patterns. Those good Qwerty typing patterns will now be bad habits you will need to break or work around with the Colemak layout. Typing deliberately and accurately is the only way you will overcome these challenges.

Last edited by Colemak Schlick (14-Apr-2013 20:12:54)

Your graph is very detailed and impressive. Keep on practising and you will get your old Qwerty speed in another month or so.

I've finally reached my old Qwerty speeds, so I figured I'd make another post. It took me about two months to reach my old typing speeds, practising far less than some of the others on this forum have.

One thing that I find a little interesting is that learning to touch type with the Qwerty layout felt very similar to learning with the Colemak layout. The end result feels different because your fingers are not moving nearly as much, but committing words and letter combinations to muscle memory feels more or less the same.

Another thing that definitely feels different is how fast I feel typing. Because of all the extra movement required to type with the Qwerty layout, I felt like a speed demon when I was typing at 50 WPM. With Colemak, I still feel like a fumbling butterfingers. I think this is probably a good thing because it is clearer to me that there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Anyway, I'll continue to update the graph in my first post as I continue to make progress.

Congratulations on your improvement! If you're not practising a lot then I think that's pretty fast progress. :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Now that I'm typing over 60 WPM, I figured I'd make another post. I've heard a couple people around the internet noticing that their typing speed seems to peak at 60 WPM. I think the logarithmic way my (and possibly others') typing speed increases may give that impression. I predict my speed won't exceed 70 WPM until I double the number of races I've already completed, so someone whose skills are comparable to my own, who did not have a fancy graph behind them, would probably get the impression that their skill had peaked even when it had not.

One depressing thing to note: If I continued to improve the same way I have for the rest of my life, I'd probably never exceed 130 WPM. On my deathbed, there would be people a quarter my age typing faster than I could only dream of typing, even though I had spent more than sixty years practising. Well, I suppose that means that if you want to break world records, slow and steady will not win you the race.

It's funny though how you keep pushing forward, I can remember thinking that I wouldn't break 40wpm,  and now I average around 60wpm, despite being able to peak at 90wpm when racing.  It would be lovely to be able to type beyond the 100wpm mark, but I fear my spelling would probably always let me down.

I've been writing an article, which has taken me about a good day and a half.   Lots of retyping.  Lots of jiggling about.  Now if I had exactly what I had wanted to write in my mind from the outset, it wouldn't have taken long at all!  But the fermentation process, and the fine adjustments, mean it just drags on and on.  I don't know how journalists do it!

What I'm trying to get at, is that the WPM is by no means my bottleneck when it comes to writing.  It's my mind!  It's nothing like the vacant copying of an extract.

And I wouldn't worry too much.  I would almost be prepared to wager that the keyboard will be obsolete in under 20years - sooner the better I say.

Last edited by pinkyache (04-Oct-2012 08:56:55)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I think that changing layouts from Qwerty to Colemak can improve your speed but not much. The maximum speed does not depend on keyboard layout, but on your speed of your brain nerve and your finger and arm muscles.

So you can be happy with your own progress. Don't compare yourself with anyone.

By the way, I guess all of us should be depressed because we are much poorer than Bill Gates, we are typing much slower than Sean Wrona, and we play tennis much worse than Novak Djokovic.

Last edited by Tony_VN (24-Nov-2012 07:54:00)

@pinkyache.. Do you still type dvorak or on Colemak?

I decided to make a post regarding dips in my speed. There have been three major dips in the past 1000 races.

The first, around the 1700 mark, was probably because I was drunk when I performed my ten daily races. The relaxing effect of alcohol could not counter its negative effect on my motor skills. Still, it was a fun experiment.

The most recent dip, around the 2400 race mark, was likely caused by the flu. My joints, especially my left wrist, were achy. Combined with a general feeling of terribleness, my speeds really suffered.

The second dip, around the 1900 race mark, is completely unexplained. Probably just an unlucky combination of several small factors.

Also, I changed the title of this topic a little. I think "experiment" fits this topic a little better than "experience". And, holy Hell, that is a lot of data. I have difficulty believing that I have kept such a regular typing schedule. It's turned into something almost as regular as brushing my teeth.

EDIT:

I've also just had another flu, that turned into a sinus infection, so my speeds seemed to suffer again. I'm just starting to feel healthy again, and my speeds are back to normal as well.

I passed the 70 WPM mark a while ago, so I'm excited to reach the 80 WPM mark now. I have to roughly double my total number of races to increase my speeds by 10 WPM, so this will not occur for some time. However, I now hit 100+ WPM for a sentence or two during some of my typing tests, and it feels crazy. My keyboard uses loud, Cherry MX Blue switches, so when I hit 100+ WPM, my typing starts to sound like water rushing out of a fully-open tap.

Last edited by Colemak Schlick (20-Mar-2013 20:54:06)