• You are not logged in.

DreymaR's Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks (Linux/XKB files included)!

• Started by DreymaR
  • 255 Replies:

I wouldn't overcomplicate it if you can avoid that. You can always do some Hebrew letter substitutions in DreymaR's layout if you find that you need those characters more often than the ones that he set up. That way you would only have to deal with two, the custom layout, and QWERTY for others. Though you could simplify that even further and just let those plebeians suffer for their insistence on using such a lousy old layout. Then you only need one. :P

And where are my manners? I owe you a שלום. :)

Thanks azuvix - I just finished setting up a xubuntu 18.04 virtual machine to play with layouts, and also to experiment with storing my config files (dotfiles as they usually referred to as they begin with .something) in github for easy sync across machines and OS installs.

IvanS said:

Thanks azuvix - I just finished setting up a xubuntu 18.04 virtual machine to play with layouts, and also to experiment with storing my config files (dotfiles as they usually referred to as they begin with .something) in github for easy sync across machines and OS installs.

I prefer dots myself ;)

Having multiple layouts with the Big Bag active is no problem. The only hurdle is if you're using keyboard models for ergo mods, then you'll have to make sure you switch those as well. But it's easily scriptable. Also, some functionality is buggy for the non-first layouts; this is an inherent XKB weakness. Not sure exactly what it entails.

I believe I have given examples of having multiple layouts active?

The Hebrew Colemak[eD] layout is still Work In Progress. We had some good collaboration on it but then my collaborator fell silent. I'd like to get it finished!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I almost never need to type hebrew, so that's a non issue for me (but I still want to be able to go back to "stock" when other family members want to use the laptop).
But if you need to do some testing - I'll be glad to help.

Now I have an interesting problem which couldn't resolve for several hours trying:
Lenovo Ideapad 510, I've installed the Big Bag successfully, but whenever I activate it with setxkbmap - I get 3 keys which fail to type uppercase ('Q','T/G', and '{'), this is both on qwerty and colemak layout.
When I launch and press those with Shift depressed, instead of normal key event I get something like this:

>xev -event keyboard
KeymapNotify event, serial 40, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
keys:  0   0   0   0   0   10   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
           0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0 

This happens on every run of setxkbmap, with any combination of options. And stays that way until I log-out and login.
OS is Linux Mint 18 x64 with XFCE DE.

That's really really strange. I have no explanation for it. And those keys seem quite unrelated.

Could there be some sort of hotkey settings that interfere? But then why would they interfere only when setxkbmap has been run? Oddness.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***