• You are not logged in.

DreymaR's Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks (Linux/XKB files included)!

• Started by DreymaR
  • 332 Replies:

No good place to but the Z key? This baffles me. You've read about this in the BigBag I suppose. Are you under the impression that Z needs a better position than it deserves?

On ortho boards it's a different game of course. I know some people elected not to use Angle mods to keep their row-staggered boards more similar to their ortho boards. I'm not sure what to think of that, as the DH mod without an Angle mod on a row-staggered board does get weird and suboptimal.

The statement that you don't need the "fancy features in the Big Bag" tells me that you probably haven't grasped the power that lies in using Extend right. But your funeral...

Last edited by DreymaR (18-May-2020 10:24:42)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

LinuxFish said:

I usually use an ortholinear board so I use the correct fingers for all the keys. I would like to keep the columns the same (ie no angle mod) on my laptop because I have an ansi layout on the laptop and I have no good place to put the z key if I apply the angle mod. If I could graft a planck into my laptop that would be the best solution but I don't think it's very practical to bring a separate keyboard with me at all times.

But, but... if you use a ortholinear board most of the time, but sometimes have to use your laptop board, then I would have thought that would want to make the experience of using your laptop keyboard as near as possible to that of your external board.  I would argue the angle mod should give you an experience which is closer to that of an ortholinear board than using the standard fingering.

Obviously the ideal solution would be to get a replacement ortholinear laptop board, but since that's basically not possible, applying the angle mod is going to be the next best option. Suerly typing Qwerty C with your middle finger on a standard board is going to be especially difficult once you're used to ortholinear. (I take the point about Z but most ANSI users find the Qwerty B position perfectly satisfactory for such an infrequent letter).

I mean, yes you can do cool things in the firmware of the planck - but you can also do most of those same things in software so that they work with the builtin keyboard too - which is just what stuff like Extend gives you. This way you get as much consistency of experience as possible across your input devices.

Last edited by stevep99 (27-Apr-2020 14:43:26)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

Sorry if this has already been brought up before, but this forum doesn't seem to have any decent way of searching within a topic...

Has anyone else had an issue where enabling the `misc:extend` option disables the Ctrl+Alt+Fx shortcuts for switching to console? I really like the extend layer but as a relative newbie to the Unix game, the console is super important for when (and not if) I break things.

I imagine I can define my own shortcuts to replicate what the built-in shortcuts are doing, but if this is a known issue with a relatively easy (or at least cleaner fix), I'd much prefer to go about it that way.

Yes, it's been brought up several times but I don't blame you for not finding it!

So, the F# keys are remapped to multimedia keys with Extend and I couldn't do that without mussing up the Ctrl+Alt shortcuts. So to get those back just find the symbols/extend file and comment out the F# keys. No more multimedia keys, no more broken shortcuts.

If you figure out how to preserve the shortcuts without losing the Extend mappings for those keys, please let me know.

Last edited by DreymaR (18-May-2020 10:23:33)

Thanks for clearing that up! Annoying that the Ctrl+Alt shortcuts are messed up by the extend file... I'd definitely like to dig into it at some stage, but I have quite a number of things on my plate at the minute (I suppose we all do...)

Also big kudos for putting this mod out there, it makes things a lot easier than having to write all of these from scratch! :D

Thanks. Appreciation is always appreciated!   ♪♫ (*ノ・◡・)ノ ♫♩ ┏(・o・*)┛ ♫♪

Hey all, seeing some issues with the mod after an update to xkeyboard-config (from 2.29 to 2.30) on Manjaro 20.0.3 (based on Linux 5.4). Originally had the layout hard enabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf, like so:

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc104curl-z"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us(cmk_ed_us)"
        Option "XkbOptions" "misc:cmk_curl_dh,misc:extend,lv5:caps_switch_lock"
EndSection

This worked fine until my next boot after that upgrade (there were a couple of other upgraded packages but I can only presume this is the one causing the issue?)

Anyone else who upgraded xkeyboard-config seeing this issue?

I think that I've seen issues with the System layout settings pointing to a non-existing layout. It's part of the reason I'm using a call to setxkbmap (in ~/.bashrc) instead of system settings.