• You are not logged in.

Middle-finger-centric typing - is it ok?

• Started by vemv
    • 4 Replies:

Hello there,

when I type, I place my middle fingers at the 'S' and 'E' keys and use them as my reference for locating the rest of the keys: except for when hitting 'B' and other far-located keys, my hands won't leave this position.

I wonder whether either a) it could be better to use the index fingers as a reference instead; or b) hovering the hand over a fixed position most of the time is not good at all (I didn't do this at all back in my QWERTY days).

Thoughts?

I thought that ususally the index fingers were used as reference when touch typing, and that's what the bumps are for.  So how are you locating the S and E keys (under Colemak), with your middle fingers without the bumps?

When I started to touch type my hands/fingers were much more fixed upon the home row.  With time your hands become more fluid.

But it is odd what we pick up, perhaps we don't always need the bumps.  I jumped on a macbook last week, and kept reaching for the home and end keys in the Thinkpad positions.   These positions I seem to have learnt pretty well.   Quite how my fingers discover them is a bit of a mystery.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I think that any finger except the thumb could be the reference finger. Keyboard makers choose the index one, perhaps because we use that finger to point out something to others, so they use that finger to refer you to the right position too.

pinkyache said:

So how are you locating the S and E keys (under Colemak), with your middle fingers without the bumps?

You answered to your own question! :)

Tony_VN said:

I think that any finger except the thumb could be the reference finger. Keyboard makers choose the index one, perhaps because we use that finger to point out something to others, so they use that finger to refer you to the right position too.

It also could be due to the fact that using the middle fingers is actually pretty awkward on most keyboards, as they're too compact. Only on a split keyboard like the Kinesis Freestyle you can do this without contorting one of your hands!

vemv said:
    pinkyache said:

So how are you locating the S and E keys (under Colemak), with your middle fingers without the bumps?

You answered to your own question! :)

Did I?  How?  I was suggesting that the bumps were usually used to home the index fingers.  Do you add bumps to the S and E keys to help you find them with your middle fingers or swap over key caps?    If not then how?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.