• You are not logged in.

5 days (update: 2 months) of Colemak/touchtyping...

• Started by Neuraxis
    • 22 Replies:

...and I'm averaging about 35 wpm at the moment. I found I get the most progress out of practicing in short, daily bursts of 10-20 TypeRacer races (which so far seems to cause a leap of about 5 wpm every day) focusing entirely on accuracy rather than speed. In fact, when I look at my race history, there seems to be a strong correlation between speed and accuracy, so I would roughly conclude that making typos and pressing backspace wastes more time than focusing on getting the next letter right.

My impressions so far...

The good:
    - Significantly more efficient than QWERTY all-around, but especially when it comes to common words and letters. I can feel my fingers traveling a lot less and making less of the awkward gestures that make QWERTY so annoying.
    - As a heavy keyboard shortcut user, I can appreciate ZXCV and A being maintained in the same position. Getting used to new keyboard shortcuts is a whole other beast.
    - As a 30% French typist, it's nice to have built-in French characters available at what I assume are optimized AltGR positions.

The bad:
    - Despite how common H is, it requires a stretch of the index finger from its default position. I understand why it's there and I'll probably get used to it, but it feels a tad wasteful.
    - Same finger WR/RW bigraph, which for some reason I find myself using quite a bit in day-to-day typing ("wrong, underway, underwent, wrath, doorway, Norway...")
    - "You" is uncomfortable to type; my fingers just don't respond well enough in that order of movement to do it in a smooth motion, so I can already tell it's going to be a bottleneck. I'm actually thinking of switching around Y and O (and would love to read counter-arguments for that.)

Other than the "you" thing, those are minor issues that probably won't make a difference once I approach my QWERTY speeds. I don't care much for "easy to learn" and would have preferred a full optimization of my typing, but it's hard to tell which layouts would even come close to providing that, and I preferred to use a layout that is widely established as a viable alternative.

Any tips are welcome. Also, if there's a variant of the layout with better support for French, please let me know. Cheers.

Last edited by Neuraxis (13-Dec-2012 00:04:41)

Hello, and congrats on the good progress! :)

I don't feel that the standard Colemak is well optimized for French or other languages that need special characters (unless they're very rare). I have a different approach myself, but it's tied to my own way of organizing the AltGr mappings. If you're interested, check out my locale Colemak variants topic, particularly the part about Belgian/Canadian/French. My implementation is Linux-ready; for Windows we'd have to hack up a functional PKL file but that isn't hard. Let me know if you require help for that.

French uses the é so often that I gave it a non-AltGr mapping (on the VK_102 key). Whether you like my mappings or not otherwise, I suggest you take that idea at least.

Funny about the WR/RW digraph: It became that way in part because the SW/WS digraph is worse... ;) No matter what you do, some digraphs will probably be a bit awkward. The trick is to make it the less common ones.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Sep-2012 18:06:16)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

About the "you", don't feel discouraged. Everybody feels the same way when they start. It's not a bottleneck, even far from it. Because of its often use, it's going to become very easy to type, and probably as fast as some of the other fast rolls. Just give it some time.

That's quite normal. All of us felt like you in the first few weeks.

Unlike Qwerty which leans 14% to the left hand, Colemak leans 6% to the right hand, so you will probably have to get used to new combinations of the right hand more. "YOU" is just a popular example.

After a month you will master it and do it very fast.

Last edited by Tony_VN (11-Sep-2012 04:13:20)
    DreymaR said:

Hello, and congrats on the good progress! :)

I don't feel that the standard Colemak is well optimized for French or other languages that need special characters (unless they're very rare). I have a different approach myself, but it's tied to my own way of organizing the AltGr mappings. If you're interested, check out my locale Colemak variants topic, particularly the part about Belgian/Canadian/French. My implementation is Linux-ready; for Windows we'd have to hack up a functional PKL file but that isn't hard. Let me know if you require help for that.

French uses the é so often that I gave it a non-AltGr mapping (on the VK_102 key). Whether you like my mappings or not otherwise, I suggest you take that idea at least.

Funny about the WR/RW digraph: It became that way in part because the SW/WS digraph is worse... ;) No matter what you do, some digraphs will probably be a bit awkward. The trick is to make it the less common ones.

Yes, I remember skimming over your locale variants thread recently and finding it a bit complicated to get into at that moment :P, but I did now and I'm interested. I forgot to mention that I've slightly adjusted my QWERTY layout over the years, to look like this:

`  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  0  [  ]
        q  w  e  r  t  y  u  i  o  p  -  =  \ 
         a  s  d  f  g  h  j  k  l  ;  ' 
          z  x  c  v  b  n  m  ,  .  /
                     Space

Shift

~  !  @  #  $  %  ^  &  *  (  )  {  }
        Q  W  E  R  T  Y  U  I  O  P  —  +  | 
         A  S  D  F  G  H  J  K  L  :  " 
          Z  X  C  V  B  N  M  <  >  ?
                       _

AltGR

²  №  é  ³  •  ‰     è     ç  à  °  ×
        æ  ê  €  ë     û  ü  î  ô  ö  √  £  µ 
         â  ä                 ï  «  »  ù 
                               ←  →  ¿

Basically, I didn't need the brackets to be so close while the dashes are so far so I switched them around, while replacing the underscore with the em dash (which I use often) and mapping the underscore to shift+space. I kept these changes on Colemak (excluding the AltGR map), so I have some experience modding PKL now.

As you can see, I had a similar idea as you did in your "Keep Local Symbols" variants to map French accented letters to AltGR + their AZERTY position, though I semi-randomly filled the rest with characters I thought I should use more often, but to this day hardly even remember they're there. I hadn't really thought of efficiency at the time nor considered other layouts that do this.

Which layout did you refer to that has é on a non-AltGR mapping? I see the Canadian one has it, but these days I only work on ANSI keyboards and have no room for unmodified é. As for the FR layout, I'm not convinced having accented characters so far from the home row is efficient. Given French letter frequencies, by placing Éé, Àà, Ùû, and Çç on their equivalent unmodified positions and placing dead keys in easy reach, it seems like standard Colemak has it about right?

pafkata90 said:

About the "you", don't feel discouraged. Everybody feels the same way when they start. It's not a bottleneck, even far from it. Because of its often use, it's going to become very easy to type, and probably as fast as some of the other fast rolls. Just give it some time.

Tony_VN said:

That's quite normal. All of us felt like you in the first few weeks.

Unlike Qwerty which leans 14% to the left hand, Colemak leans 6% to the right hand, so you will probably have to get used to new combinations of the right hand more. "YOU" is just a popular example.

After a month you will master it and do it very fast.

Thanks for the encouragement. Time will tell, but I believe it's more of an issue with muscle development rather than familiarity with the layout, since I can easily roll the left hand equivalent, "waf", at full speed (even though I've never practiced it), because playing guitar made my left fingers much stronger and agile when it comes to rolling awkward combinations.

Last edited by Neuraxis (12-Sep-2012 18:43:17)

No, if you're only on ANSI boards then my methods may not help much. I use the VK_102 for the non-AltGr symbol.

It's not the Canadian 'unified symbols' layout, it's the Canadian/Belgian/French one. They are in the same section because while they have different 'keep local symbols' layouts the unified one is the same for these French-type locales.

Neuraxis said:

Time will tell, but I believe it's more of an issue with muscle development rather than familiarity with the layout...

Yes, that's what we meant as well :) After a little while your muscles will remember these somewhat awkward at first key combos.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

@Neuraxis, you've gone for a Dvorak approach to bracket placement.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

For your right hand exercise, here is a pure right hand exercise of real words of nimbostratue

Right Hand:

jee jehu jejune jejunely jejunum jell jelly jellylike jemmy jenny jeon jeu jill jillion jiminy jimminy jimmy jin jink jinn jinnee jinni jo joe joey john johnny join joke jokey jokily joky jole jollily jolly jouk joule joy juju juke julienne jun junk junkie junkmen junky lee leek lei lek leke leku lemon lemony leno leone leonine leu leukon ley li lie lien lieu like likely liken lily lilylike lime limekiln limen limey limn limo limonene limuli limy lin line linelike linemen linen lineny liney linin link linkmen linky linn lino linoleum linum liny lion lionlike lo loin loll lolly lomein lone lonelily lonely loo looey looie look loom loon looney loony louie lull lulu lum lumen lune lunk lunule luny lye uh uke ukelele ukulele ulu um umm un unhelm unholily unholy unhook union unkennel unkink unlike unlikely unlink unyoke ye yeelin yeh yelk yell yen yeomen yeuk yeuky yill yin ylem yo yok yoke yokel yolk yolky yom yomim yon yoni you yuk yule yum yummy he heel heh heil heinie helio helium hell hellhole hellion hello helm helo hem heme hemin hemline hen henlike hey hi hie hike hili hill hillo hilly hilum him hin hinny hm hmm ho hoe hoelike hoke hokey hokily hokku hokum hole holey holily holk hollo holloo holly holm holmium holy home homelike homely homey homily hominine hominy homo homonym homonymy homy hon hone honey honeymoon honk honkey honkie honky hooey hook hookey hooklike hooky hoolie hooly hoy hoyle hue huh hulk hulky hull hullo hum hun hunh hunk hunky hyenine hymen hymenium hymn hymnlik ne nee neem nellie nelly nene neon neuk neum neume nielli niello nihil nil nill nim nine ninny ninon no noel noh noil noily nolo nom nome nomen nominee nomoi none nonheme nonhome nonillion nonimmune nonmen nonmoney nonoily nonunion nonyl noo nook nooklike nooky noon noumenon noun nu nuke null numen nun nunlike nylon eel eellike eely eh eikon eke ekuele el elemi elhi elk ell elm elmy eloin em eme emeu emu en enemy enjoin enjoy ennui ennuye ennuyee enoki enol eon eye eyehole eyehook eyelike eyen eyne ikon ileum ilium ilk ill illinium illume illumine illy imine imino immune immy in inhume inion ink inkle inklike inky inly inn inulin ion ionium ionone oe oenomel oh ohm oho oil oilhole oilily oilmen oily oink oinomel oke okeh ole olein oleine oleo oleum olio om omen on one onion oniony onium online only ooh oy keek keel keen keenly kelim kelly ken kennel keno key keyhole khi khoum kike kilim kill killie killjoy kiln kilo kilojoule kilomole kimono kin kine kinin kink kinkily kinky kino knee kneehole kneel knell knoll knolly koel kohl koi koine kolo konk kook kookie kooky kue kummel kune me meek meekly meikle meinie meiny mel melee mell melon mem meme memo men meno menu meou mho mi mien mike mil mile milieu milium milk milkily milkmen milky mill mille millennium millieme millime millimho millimole milline milliohm million milo mim mime mimeo mine mini minikin minim minimill minimum minion minium mink minke minny mm mo mohel mohelim moil mojo moke mol mole molehill moline moll mollie molly moly mom mome momi mommy mon monellin money moneymen monie monk monkey mono monohull mony moo mool mooley moon mooneye moonily moonlike moony moue mouille moujik moulin mu muhly mujik mukluk mule muley mull mullein mullen mulley mullion mum mumm mummy mumu mun muni munnion muon muonium muumuu my myelin myeline.

And for the left hand just in case anyone need it.

qat qats wab wabs wad wads waff waffs waft wafts wag wags wap waps war warcraft warcrafts ward wards warp warps wars warsaw warsaws wart warts was wasp wasps wast wasts wat watap wataps wats watt watts waw waws wax wrap wraps wrapt fa fact facts fad fads fag fags far farad farads fard fards fart farts fas fast fasts fat fats fatwa fatwas fava favas fax fracas frag frags frap fraps frass frat frats pa pac paca pacas pacs pact pacts pad pads pap papa papas papaw papaws paps par para paras pard pards parr parrs pars part parts pas pass past pasta pastas pasts pat pataca patacas pats paw pawpaw pawpaws paws pax paxwax pazazz pfft prat prats psst gab gabbard gabbards gabbart gabbarts gabs gad gads gaff gaffs gag gaga gags gap gaps gar garb garbs gars gas gasbag gasbags gasp gasps gast gasts gat gats gawp gawps gazar gazars grab grabs grad grads graft grafts grappa grappas grasp grasps grass grat aa aas ab aba abaca abacas abaft abas abba abbas abfarad abfarads abracadabra abracadabras abs abstract abstracts abwatt abwatts act acta acts ad adapt adapts add addax adds ads adz afar afars aff aft ag aga agar agars agas apart apparat apparats apt ar arb arbs arc arcs arf arfs arras ars art arts as asp asps ass at atap ataps att attar attars attract attracts ava avadavat avadavats avast avatar avatars avgas aw awa award awards ax rabat rabats rad radar radars rads raff raffs raft rafts rag raga ragas ragbag ragbags rags ragtag ragtags rap raps rapt ras rasp rasps rat ratatat ratatats ratbag ratbags rats rattrap rattraps raw raws rax razz sab sabbat sabbats sabra sabras sabs sac sacra sacs sad sag saga sagas saggar saggard saggards saggars sags sap saps sard sardar sardars sards sarsar sarsars sass sassafras sat satara sataras satrap satraps saw saws sax scab scabbard scabbards scabs scad scads scag scags scar scarab scarabs scarf scarfs scarp scarps scars scart scarts scat scats scatt scatts scrag scrags scrap scraps spa spar spars spas spat spats spaz sprag sprags sprat sprats stab stabs staff staffs stag staggard staggards staggart staggarts stags star stars start starts stat stats staw strap straps strass strata stratas straw straws swab swabs swag swags swap swaps sward swards swarf swarfs swart swat swats ta tab tabard tabards tabs tact tacts tad tads tag tagrag tagrags tags tap tapa tapas taps tar tarp tarps tars tart tartar tartars tarts tas tass tat tatar tatars tats tav tavs taw taws tax taxa tazza tazzas tract tracts trad trap traps trapt trass tsar tsars twa twas twat twats tzar tzars dab dabs dad dada dadas dads daff daffs daft dag dagga daggas dags dap daps darb darbs dart darts dastard dastards data daw daws dawt dawts drab drabs draff draffs draft drafts drag drags drat drats draw drawbar drawbars draws dwarf dwarfs zaffar zaffars zag zags zap zaps zarf zarfs zax cab cabs caca cacas cad cads caff caffs cap caps car caracara caracaras carapax carat carats carb carbs carcass card cards carp carps carr carrs cars cart carts casa casaba casabas casas casava casavas cascara cascaras cassaba cassabas cassata cassatas cassava cassavas cast casts cat cataract cataracts catawba catawbas cats catspaw catspaws caw caws crab crabgrass crabs craft crafts crag crags crap craps crass cravat cravats craw crawdad crawdads craws czar czardas czars vac vacs var vara varas vars vas vasa vast vasts vat vats vav vavs vaw vaward vawards vaws ba baa baas baba babas bacca baccara baccaras baccarat baccarats bad badass bads baff baffs bag bagass bags bap baps bar barb barbs bard bards barf barfs bars bas bass bast bastard bastards basts bat bats batt batts bawd bawds bazaar bazaars bazar bazars bra bract bracts brad brads brag braggart braggarts brags bras brass brassard brassards brassart brassarts brat brats brava bravas braw braws braza brazas brr brrr

@Tony, where did you get your list?  Is there anything special about it - with regard to doing finger work outs - or is it just a random list of words?

What I noticed was there weren't many words in that list that I'd actually use on a regular basis.  Though there are some nice words in there.

I've filtered the list into words that I feel are a little more common.  (Find and replace the comma for a space if you need to remove it.)

Right hand:

john, joy, junk, lemon, like, likely, liken, lime, line, link, lion, lonely, look, union, unlike, yummy, he, hill, hello, hey, hill, him, hole, holy, home, honey, hook, nine, no, noon, enjoy, eye,  ill, ink, inn, oil, onion, one, on, only, keen, kill, kink, knee, kook, me, melon, meme, menu, mile, milk, mini, mom, money, monkey, moon, mum, my

Left Hand:

waft, ward, was, wrap, fact, fag, fart, fast, fat, papa, part, pass, past, pasta, pat, prat, gag, gas, grab, grass, abstract, act, adapt, adds, afar, apt, art, attract, award, radar, raft, rag, rap, sad, sat, saw, scab, scar, scarf, scat, scrap, spat, stab, stag, star, start, strap, straw, swap, swat, ta, tact, tag, tap, tar, tart, trap, twat, dad, dart, drab, draft, draw, cab, cap, car, card, crab, craft, crag, crass, vast, vat, baa, bad, bag, bar, bastard, bat, brass, brat

I guess the list looks so odd, as common words will involve at least some hand alternation.

Last edited by pinkyache (14-Sep-2012 09:10:07)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

@Tony, where did you get your list?  Is there anything special about it - with regard to doing finger work outs - or is it just a random list of words?

What I noticed was there weren't many words in that list that I'd actually use on a regular basis.  Though there are some nice words in there.

Here it is.

Lessons For Colemak beginners
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1047

I suppose it is an extraction from dictionary with filter, so it has some uncommon words that we never use.

Last edited by Tony_VN (14-Sep-2012 09:49:07)

The aim of that list is not to use common words, but to train your finger dexterity. If you start typing, you'll see a pattern the letters are following. So you get most of the letter combinations. A lot of them aren't at all common.

I found these two lessons priceless. Thanks to nimbostratue for making them.

@pafkata90

(Trying to type your name is a trial in itself (under Dvorak at least.) ) That's why I was asking Tony about the list.

From what I can gather most tutors start with the home row.  Focusing first on four characters in the home postion on each hand.  Then introduce the middle column.  Then move to the next row.  Perhaps doing one character from the same finger on each hand (on the same row.)  Then move to the next finger.  Introducing previously learnt keys.  Gradually building up to all the standards letters.

Perhaps that is a great way to map the layout, but maybe not so useful in refining technique?  The typing tutor's lessons just feel so alien.  I was pleased to get to the point where I could type normal text.

Anyway I'm interested as to the logic behind the word lists.  And if there are particular patterns that are good for honing one's technique.

I'd have thought that adding say my word list to a common corpus of text, might be a good way to build up each hand.  The single handed exercises are quite intimidating.

It would be nice if Nimbostratue, could explain the logic behind the workouts.

(I just translated the Right handed exercise -- the original -- into Dvorak, blimey - it's a long lesson.   I felt the method in the madness - as in patterns - as I worked through the text. Did 40WPS in it at 80% fluidity which isn't that bad.  A smattering of Colemak for me there, radically different to Dvorak as no P, <, > or ? (Qwerty positions) used.  I'd be totally lost attempting the  left hand exercise though. )

Edit: Shucks, that's 40WPM not 40WPS!

Last edited by pinkyache (06-Oct-2012 13:15:45)

--

I don't think Nimbo made it for learning the layout. I can tell you when I found it useful though.

Back in the days when Colemak was still a bit fresh for me, if I had a break for a while from typing and came back, sometimes I needed a long time to adjust to typing again. And at some point I remember that I was good at typing the common words, but whenever I had to type some rather odd combination of letters, I became very slow and made mistakes. Not that I didn't know the layout, but I needed time to think about where each letter is. Now for example I don't. Even if the text is with just random letters and symbols it doesn't take me that much time.

These two lessons – left and right – helped my fingers feel more confident on the keys, reducing the error rate, especially on words which didn't contain the more often used rolls.

They are also good for new comers to touch typing, since they can improve the finger dexterity of their weaker fingers – the pinkies and sometimes the ring fingers.

Hello everybody,

I’m quite impressed by your rapid progress Neuraxis. Me  I’m so far from this level and my progress are slower :(
    I’m a french user and despite the fact that I’m totally agree with the colemak mapped method, The layout is not convenient for this language.
    So I’ve build up a french version who tried to follows the colemark principles but the keys position can changes a bit. Maybe that could be interested somebody.

You can see the layout here :
    ~~( ε:>   https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6ZVS6 … kJ3dGo4Qkk    <:3 )~~

Maybe you wonder me why i put these ridiculous rats. aren’t they pretty ? well ok I stop joking...
    So I decided to name it "rats".

It made first for french but i tried to keep it convenient for typing in English also and maybe other Europeans languages.
    I’m glad to se your feedback. I’ve added the letter é who is very common in french and dead keys `, ¨ and ^ for mapping the others ones.
    In this layout the num keys and symbols are mapped completely differently (like fn layer in the laptop but more powerful). This is optional. Need to add two  symmetric AltGr keys.
    It’s optional and need two symmetric AltGr keys and remap Alt on Super key or Caps to be fully usable.
    It currently tested with this online tool  :
    http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/
    There are some bugs so use it with care. Dead keys are not supported. to avoid this I’ve adapted the input text : à is replaced by `a, ê by ^e and so on.

The "rats" configuration file for this tool :
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6ZVS6 … FhSY2dobEU
    and the imput file (from "bépo" layout website):
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6ZVS6 … WUtQnpyVjA

My English is quite poor sorry.

Last edited by ced (06-Oct-2012 01:45:21)

@ced now tell me, was the draw of the name RATS, enough for you to justify swapping some of those character positions - or did you chance upon the RATS after you'd optimised your layout?

Don't get me wrong, it looks great on paper and your ascii rats are gorgeous.  (I'm thinking along the lines of: T Y P E W R I T E R.)

Last edited by pinkyache (06-Oct-2012 13:24:03)

--

Thanks for your feedback and interest.
    The name come from absolutely by chance and I don’t care so much about that. If somebody give me good raisons to swap theses keys, I do it.
    In fact I start to swap r and A at first because of the frequency of theses letters and I need to swap W and Q for french. The T and S swapping was do for avoid some Consecutive Finger Use combinations in french. That don’t remain true for English but in other hand improuve left index usage who is underutilized.

This work, was inspired by the frequency analysis for some european languages found here :
    http://www.apprendre-en-ligne.net/crypt … index.html

Last edited by ced (06-Oct-2012 21:55:46)

Are there layouts optimized for French specifically? Have you considered using two layouts: for English – Colemak, and for French – some French optimized layout? I don't think it will be very hard to maintain two layouts if you're using them with different languages, and you'll get all of the benefits of each.

I do the same but besides the different languages my native alphabet is also different – cyrillic – so that must make it a bit easier.

Just my thoughts..

It is firstly optimized for French but I want to be usable also for other languages as English. Because is not convenient for me to remember two layouts and switch between them. Which mean that I have taken into account for the placement of a few letters that did not really matter for the French (avoid T/H digraphs on the same finger for example).

Pretty good analysis of the self, i would say. You getting 5 wpm increase, seems a great progress per day basis. I had a ratio of around 2 for a good 10 days.

------------------------
    typewriter

I'm just not sure it's worth it? Swapping A and R when in my experience the pinky (with extra load) and ring fingers are about the same strength actually. Does it really pay off enough to be worth the effort?

The answer is and must be that it's about individual preferences. But still.

Last edited by DreymaR (12-Oct-2012 13:27:05)

Yes is not that important. I prefer like that to remove consecutive Finger Use "wa" and "aw" in my layout who is uncomfortable for me.
    The A still remain accessible with right Control key for shortcut usage, however in french keyboard this key is put in other place.

My posts are a little off this topic so I’ve created a new one here :
    https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1521

Update...

First off, thank you for your feedback everyone. I've been reading your replies silently, too lazy to post updates until now.

Layout

Here's what I'm using at this point:
    Colemak_.th.jpg Colemak_AltGr.th.jpg Colemak_Shft.th.jpg

I used a French letter frequency chart to edit the AltGR mappings, overwriting the characters I'd never use with French ones where I thought optimal. However, I realized I'm neither comfortable nor fast using my right hand to both hold right Alt and touch type, so I shifted é to the left hand and, along with à and ç started using it directly, and the dead keys for the rest. Thoughts?

Progress

Averaging 62 wpm at the moment. Still not my old QWERTY/pecking speed (90-100 wpm) or accuracy, but definitely comfortable enough.

Once I hit about 40 wpm, progress rate went down sharply, but I guess that was to be expected. I had sort of quit TypeRacer training shortly after posting this thread, alternating between the layouts in my day-to-day typing. 3 weeks later I went cold turkey and now I only use Colemak/touch-typing.

I may have underestimated the amount of daily races I was doing at the time. The increase was still about 5wpm per day, but the amount of races was more like 2 bursts of 20 races at different times of the day rather than a single one.

Observations

1. The layout uses the right hand a little too much for my taste. It just feels strange for that hand to be so busy on the alphanumeric section given that it's also in charge of the mouse, numpad and cursor keys.

2. This is more of a touch-typing issue: even now, my muscle memory has a slight tendency to mistake some keys for their mirrored position: for example, I'll mistake P for L or N for T. I'm steadily improving at it though.

3. With QWERTY, I've always used left Shift for capitalization. With Colemak, I got myself used to holding Shift with the free hand—this slows me down when typing series of caps that alternate the hands. I've never had a use for Caps Lock in my life, but this made me understand why it was there. Any tips?

4. I'm not trying to be stubborn and would have loved to be proven wrong, but my issue with "you" is confirmed at this stage. Those fingers simply lack the muscle strength to roll those keys properly, resulting in an awkward and slow motion. This is just something I'll have to cope with, no biggie.

5. I had to make a Team Fortress 2 script to remap all the keys properly. Here it is for any Colemaker who also happens to play TF2 (copy&paste in "Steam\steamapps\[accountname]\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\autoexec.cfg"):

//Colemak keybindings

bind w                                +forward
      bind r                                 +back
      bind a                                +moveleft
      bind s                                  +moveright
      bind SPACE                        +jump
      bind BACKSPACE                +duck //recommended if Caps Lock is remapped to Backspace, freeing up CTRL for another action. Otherwise, comment this line and uncomment the next one
      //bind CTRL                        +duck

bind v                                +voicerecord
      bind j                                say
      bind l                                say_team
      bind z                                voice_menu_1
      bind x                                voice_menu_2
      bind c                                voice_menu_3
      bind f                                "voicemenu 0 0"

bind ,                                changeclass
      bind .                                changeteam
      bind m                                open_charinfo_direct
      bind k                                open_charinfo_backpack
      //bind CTRL                        +quickswitch //possible use for CTRL
      bind i                                dropitem
      bind d                                taunt
      bind h                                +use_action_slot_item
      bind u                                showmapinfo
      bind t                                inspect

bind p                                +reload

bind g                                "impulse 201"
      bind n                                cl_trigger_first_notification
      bind e                                cl_decline_first_notification

Replies

@pinkyache: Indeed. I'm thinking of switching back though, because I find myself using the square brackets more than I thought. I wanted the hyphen to be closer, and the em dash in its shifted position, but it doesn't seem worth it now.

@Tony_VN: Thanks for that! While it didn't help with my "you" issue, the exercise immediately reduced my mirroring mistakes.

@ced: Before settling on Colemak, I was considering about 7 different layouts, which I ended up narrowing down to 3: Colemak, Dvorak and Bépo. Why? Because all 3 are well-established, with research to back them up. While I appreciate your work, given the time it takes to adjust to a new layout, I can't use one that's not proven to be optimal (by actual human testing, not layout analyzers).

@michaeljj: So your progress was exponential? That's impressive in its own right. Mine was linear until 40 wpm—then it went downhill.

Well, till next update!