• You are not logged in.

Colemak on Ubuntu Build 6.10

• Started by outoforder
    • 2 Replies:

Okay I'm kinda new to Ubuntu so I'm having major problems installing it. I keep getting the response "Command not found.   Can someone explain to me how to do this clearer.

well in the past I've installed on Suse but haven't tried on Ubuntu yet...

so instructions say....:

*  Download, untar/gunzip archive
        * Under Debian/Ubuntu/Knoppix/Debian derivatives type: install-keymap linux_console/colemak.iso15.kmap to install as the default layout.
        * Type: loadkeys linux_console/colemak.iso15.kmap to switch layouts.
        * To switch to a ISO8859-15 compatible font type: consolechars -f lat9v-14
        * To switch back to QWERTY type: loadkeys us

these are the instructions I got from the download page, some suggestions, before you try to install through the command line, make sure to extract the tar file and note the location of it for you to go to it via command line. Also try an alternative method of installing by going straight to where the colemak.iso15.kmap file is located (I believe it's in linux_console folder) and thus for step 2 and 3, you will need to omit "linux_console/" for it to locate the file
    ex: copy paste > "install-keymap colemak.iso15.kmap"
                   then > "loadkeys colemak.iso15.kmap"

Last edited by AGK (05-Apr-2007 19:04:04)

Yes I have already tried everything you suggested earlier and got no results.

I have also tried numerous installation methods on the download site with no avail.  I just keep getting that same error.  I have also tried extracting the file to other areas and rooting the installation to that specific area.