• You are not logged in.

Hello

• Started by crumbs
    • 6 Replies:

Hello.

A couple of months ago, I noticed a colleague using an interesting keyboard. I asked him if I could type on it, and when I did, it seemed like I was hitting all of the wrong keys. Turns out he was using a Colemak layout. He told me a bit about it and my curiosity was piqued. A week or so later I had ordered two of the keyboards for home and work, one of which is pictured below in white.

oTH05.jpg
    wVLlk.jpg

They're not exactly cheap at $99 USD each (plus some heavy taxes thanks to the country I'm working in) when you order two, but since I'm using a keyboard for most of my waking hours, it's a worthwhile investment. I decided that having no keys would be a cool little novelty, and I think my impulsiveness payed off - it encourages me not to look at the keys and provides quality entertainment when co-workers attempt to type on it. It has shortcuts to switch between Qwerty, Dvorak and Colemak, which is awesome. It's also plug and play. I purchased a skin for use at work (pictured above), but didn't really like typing on it, so took it off after a few days. I have the brief, one-sheet A4 manuals lying around in case I forget where a key is (e.g. print screen, F keys, etc.).

When I ordered the keyboards, I planned to go straight into Colemak use at home and work. This has worked quite well, although it was frustrating at work, mainly when typing on IRC; the location of some often used keys are near the Enter key, which led (and unfortunately sometimes still leads to) sending an unfinished sentence. The only time I use a Qwerty layout is on my laptop, mainly because I'm too lazy to install the layout. I am still quite fast with Qwerty, but we'll see how good I am after a few months. I'm quite happy with the keyboard and layout.

I have been typing with Qwerty all my life, with my own form of touch typing (whatever it may be). I am running Windows at home and Linux at work (as well as Windows on my laptop, but that's Qwerty so it doesn't count).

I am using TypeFaster to measure my progress, with the Common Words lesson being my test of choice. For the first few days I was practicing at night since I felt my speed was impeding my work, understandably. After a week or so of using the keyboard and layout combo, I was comfortable enough that I didn't feel I had to practice. I still test myself whenever I remember, and thought I'd post my results for those who are curious about how practical this kind of transition is.

I don't focus on accuracy, I just do what feels right. Some of the more difficult keys for me so far have been g, p, d, h and the symbol keys, since I'm using them often. I try to stick to the proper column of keys for each finger. On this keyboard it's easy to see where each finger should be. For games (the most important part) that might require typing to other players, I've changed the bindings and play with Colemak. For others whose bindings haven't changed much, I just switch to Qwerty. The results I'm posting are not starting from my first day with the board - I had picked it up a few days prior.

05/10/2012:
    4b1oR.png
    2AvEF.png
    BwLKO.png
    1UqA9.png
    06/10/2012:
    tiNMY.png
    Ic0Sk.png
    07/10/2012:
    KLZhD.png
    cgxg9.png
    wzMBq.png
    08/10/2012:
    yxY2E.png
    gWPny.png
    12/10/2012:
    A8rYK.png
    15/10/2012:
    gmbQx.png

Last edited by crumbs (15-Oct-2012 23:52:31)

I'm always glad to see more people switching to Colemak. And your progress is quite good, keep it up. Have you measured your Qwerty speed before you started? It's good to have as a reference point for your learning curve.

pafkata90 said:

I'm always glad to see more people switching to Colemak. And your progress is quite good, keep it up. Have you measured your Qwerty speed before you started? It's good to have as a reference point for your learning curve.

Thanks. I haven't measured my speed with Qwerty properly, but I had a couple of tries on hi-games.net and I think I was slightly upwards of 90 WPM.

davkol said:

Wow, another TypeMatrix user. Welcome.

I'd love to start using mine (I've both 2020 and blank 2030), but Cherry MX Reds feel so much better... >_<

Thanks. Are there not that many TypeMatrix users on here?

I was actually using a mechanical Razer keyboard before this, and I did like it a lot, but it was also freaking noisy and quite big. I prefer the feeling of typing on the Razer over the TypeMatrix.

Good going.  I wonder what convinced you to go all out:  buying two new keyboards and learn Colemak?

That looks like a design flaw with the Typematrix, they should have put some channels around  backspace and enter.  I'd never thought about that before.

It sounds fun, getting a few seconds of comedic value watching colleagues trying to use your machine, but it's really annoying - and not smart.  I am quick to tell others a shortcut on my machine to flip to and from Qwerty.

Last edited by pinkyache (18-Oct-2012 00:55:06)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

Good going.  I wonder what convinced you to go all out:  buying two new keyboards and learn Colemak?

That looks like a design flaw with the Typematrix, they should have put some channels around  backspace and enter.  I'd never thought about that before.

It sounds fun, getting a few seconds of comedic value watching colleagues trying to use your machine, but it's really annoying - and not smart.  I am quick to tell others a shortcut on my machine to flip to and from Qwerty.

It seemed like a cool idea. :) Like I said, I'm impulsive. They can always be sold, and I can always stop learning Colemak and go back to Qwerty.

Yeah, I'm not really that fond of the backspace and enter key positions, but that'll probably change pretty soon.

Haha.. if someone gets angry because of a few seconds of typos, I think that there are bigger issues that need to be addressed! Of course I tell them the shortcut. If they're already in a bad mood, I'll switch it beforehand. ;)

16/10/2012:
    nfiA2.png
    3/11/2012:
    nsSMM.png