• You are not logged in.

What can be done to make colemak more popular?

• Started by kief
    • 17 Replies:

Could there be some sort of marketing campaign, or will QWERTY always be number 1.

Last edited by kief (19-Nov-2012 20:01:53)

QWERTY will always be Nr 1, event if everybody knew about Colemak. From all my friends that know about Colemak (and they're quite a few) only one has made a switch. Very few are interested but not intrigued enough to switch and most don't care whatsoever. Of course that's not a very objective case but I feel that's the way it is.

Now where did I put that old Board Wars graphic... ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

People are always afraid to change and rather stay with the familiar, no matter how bad it is.

That is how family exists and society remains.

Revolution happens, but not so often.

Last edited by Tony_VN (20-Nov-2012 04:28:46)

The only way it would ever surpass QWERTY is if there was an international mandate that forbade all layouts other than Colemak. Now, if you're talking about be surpassing Dvorak instead, then you'll need lots of money to support such a campaign. I'm sure that given enough useless advertising it could be done, but there's practically no gain from it.

Colemak (start 11.5.12): ~80 WPM.
    QWERTY: ~90 WPM.

However great it is, it would still have trouble displacing Qwerty.   I was going to liken that to Betamax and VHS - but apparantly Betamax wasn't better:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 … nt.comment

First there's an issue of whether it's actually a superior layout to begin with.

But even if you told an ardent Qwerty fan boy that it was better -  you need a compelling argument for switching.  People are resistant to change.

It would be great if the rationale behind the layout was exposed.  And leave it up to the scientific community to judge the merits of the layout.   You can't sell the layout on annecdotes alone can you?

So I posit that you lay it bare to scrutiny.

Word of mouth is probably the best kind of advertising there is though.

Not sure how much of an evolution Colemak is from Qwerty?  It's in part a weird hybrid of both Dvorak and Qwerty.

For those not migrating from touch typing using Qwerty, would it be still as compelling to switch to?   Or would a noob be better of picking some other optimized alternative - and if so which one?

Sell me Colemak!

You had your chance at getting Colemak into Windows 8 and you blew it...   You've got to make it incredibly easy to adopt.

Give it a go though, you can try and suceed where Dvorak failed.

Last edited by pinkyache (20-Nov-2012 17:03:32)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

nil said:

I'm sure that given enough useless advertising it could be done, but there's practically no gain from it.

Advertisers do suceed though.  Think about a product like Sunny Delight, and outfits like Microsoft convincing people to upgrade their perfectly (okay, reasonably) working operating system to the 'latest and greatest.'

I raised a smile to hear that Woody Allen still uses his typewriter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK6ip4Lvyns

Last edited by pinkyache (20-Nov-2012 17:09:37)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I have said it on other posts – the similarity to Qwerty, in terms of typing, had nothing to do with the reason I changed. The similarity in general was one of the reasons but that was because I'm a heavy shortcut user, not because of typing. And I switched from Dvorak.

What I mean is that the similarity to Qwerty is by far not the main reason to chose Colemak. Colemak is great in many factors, mainly the low same finger ratio. There are and will be layouts that increase one factor for the cost of another so the difference between Colemak and those other layouts is the user's priorities.

But the bigger reason is that Colemak is much better tested than them, so it's a solid and safe choice.

Last edited by pafkata90 (20-Nov-2012 17:58:52)

>But the bigger reason is that Colemak is much better
    >tested than them, so it's a solid and safe choice.

Well I just did a rough calculation, there are about 50 * 7 = 350 users that have posted more than three posts on this forum.  I wonder how many use Colemak frequently out of those?  I wonder how many Colemak users are out there in the wild?  Two times that number, ten times that number?  Not the biggest sample group is it?

It may be better 'tested' than 'Obscurak,' and might score well on a few layout analysers - but what does that mean?  And what do you mean by tested?

Starting a thread of points like 'less same finger usage' compared to XYZ layout.  Might be a good start.

The multilingual capabilities of Colemak sound enticing.  What else is there?

I'd have thought that Dvorak would actually be easier to learn, even for hunt and peckers for those new to the keyboard.   Is there a one true layout, or principles that can be transferred between layouts in other languages?  Could something like Dvorak or Colemak become the lingua franca of layouts? 

If you can create some kind of open simple way to move layouts between computers, and make it dead simple to switch between them, and or make it easy to switch and print/order keycaps - I'd have thought you might be on your way there.

As that Guardian article above suggests, the whole model is what you should be aiming for.

Last edited by pinkyache (21-Nov-2012 00:50:41)

--

It's not a big sample, true, but how many other keyboard layouts have any sort of community similar to this one – doing different discussions and sharing so many experiences of the switch. Some of the users also have experiences with other layouts and can compare. I personally find this very valuable information, along with the pure stats from analysers like on Carpalx website, for anyone considering changing layouts.

Since I haven't found any other forums or discussions similar to these here, I just assume that Colemak has bigger user base and hence is better tested than the rest of them. Not talking about Dvorak, of course – it's been out there forever, and anyone doing a research on alternative layouts probably stumbles upon it first.

Last edited by pafkata90 (20-Nov-2012 22:21:06)

I've been using colemak since the start of the year, and I love it. I get annoyed when I have to switch back to qwerty (I work a lot with remote servers). I believe the way to increase popularity of colemak is the same as the way to increase popularity of a particular linux distro.

The first step is to get people to try/switch from qwerty to something else. Anything else. Once minds are opened to the possibility of different layouts, it should be simple to get people to try colemak over dvorak or other layouts. The problem is that most people will not care if the layout is more optimized or more comfortable. They have been using qwerty all their lives and they have no interest in complicating their computer use further by mixing up the one thing that has remained constant since they started using computers.

Less than one thousand out of billions. Isn't it make me special!

How many people enjoy learning experiences that improve quality of living? Colemak is one example.

Most people repeat mundane living without a thought or imagination. They waste huge amount of time watching TV shows, manufactured pleasure by corporations for profit.

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Should this forum be ASP.NET or better, Ajax/HTML5? It's the same tried and safe PHP code. Do we think Shai one day would change it?

Most people consider Qwerty is the tried and safe layout, too.

While Colemak is not likely to ever dominate, it is possible for it to have more modest ambitions. The trouble is QWERTY is so ubiquitous that most people wouldn't even consider anything else.

I had an interesting experience a few days ago when I was working at a client site with my laptop. I am currently learning Colemak via Tarmak and so had some keys remapped. Naturally I was asked about it, but the reaction was not so much curiosity, but more like horror - "why would you want to do that?" !

It would be nice if we can get to a stage where using a non-QWERTY layout would at least acknowledged as minority but still "normal" :-)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Making a keyboard with keycaps in Colemak layout would help a bit.  There are plenty of folks that look at the keyboard still.  And some folks look while learning a new layout.

Most folks simply don't care one way or the other. I was in that category until seriously debating my health in a few years.  It also is a royal pain in the ass to learn a new layout.  Kinda like switching tuning on a musical instrument.

One of the hardest things to overcome is that everyone learns on Qwerty.  That's what's in schools, etc.

If it helps, you can link to the Colemak Talking Points I've recently made.

I think that popularizing Tarmak would also go a long way.  It's a lot easier to digest changing 3-5 keys than changing all of them.  Of course, as stevep99 points out, we also have to provide a good rationale for why we're changing those keys in the first place.

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=188

Unfy: Here's an old topic where I and others presented some possibilities for getting that Colemak keyboard you talk about. But yeah, it'd probably help if more keyboards were sold with Colemak key caps out of the box. I think you can get hold of such a board, but they're few and far apart.

Cmk-AWideSl_Unicomp_DreymaR.jpg
            Yummy...

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I was talking to some folks in #colemak on freenode, and they seem to be of the opinion that a hard wired Colemak keyboard would be a bad thing.

They do sell high end Dvorak keyboards that are 'hard wired' for Dvorak.... So.... I dunno.

I'll have to read the "Talking Points" and hard layout conversations later, today is looking to be a busy day at work.