• You are not logged in.

RSI-motivated switcher

• Started by debois
    • 7 Replies:

Hi there!

I switched to Colemak about four months ago. I came to Colemak like this: in late summer last year, I was finally beginning to experience a tiny bit of progress with a long-standing RSI affliction, which I continue to suffer from. I desperately wanted to prolong whatever short period of time I had in front of a computer, so, without any real understanding of why it might help, I bought a Kinesis Advantage.

It turns out that a split keyboard sucks if you're not touch typing. I used not to. I tried to touch typing QWERTY very briefly, managed maybe 30 wpm on Dvorak, before typing "ls -l", thus arriving at Colemak. I was initially very disappointed with the stretch out to H, as in the HE digraph, and the occasional same-finger contortions – like the word "knowledge". I tried Workman briefly, but found it unsatisfying in other ways (I forget which), and so, I stuck with Colemak.

On Typeracer, I have a current 10-game average of 64 wpm and a peak speed of 71 wpm. I think in "casual" typing, I probably type middle 40s to low 50s. This is enough. My goal is to be able to work as a programmer again, not to be blindingly fast. (Although, of course, that would be nice.) There seems to be a fairly direct correspondence between how comfortable I can get the layout, and how many minutes I can type a day. The goal is to get more minutes, not more keystrokes per minute.

Between the Kinesis Advantage, Colemak, and a lot of remapping of non-alphabetical keys, I can some days do maybe 40 minutes without hurting myself.  My particular injury (tennis and golfers elbow, both arms) is helped tremendously by 1) avoiding stretches and 2) typing softly. I'm not sure how much Colemak actually helps avoiding stretches relatively to, say, QWERTY or Workman. I think it might be better than QWERTY, and I doubt that it is substantially worse than Workman, but I have only my gut feeling to support that.

Either way, when I want to avoid stretches, I don't think changing to yet another layout would make a big difference. Most alternative layouts leave (A) special keys, like control, tab, enter, arrows, etc. in terrible positions encouraging pinky contortions and (B) special characters useful for programming in positions that require pinky contortions AND stretches for, e.g., the number row. The Kinesis helps a lot here, by having thumb keys; by allowing me to swap the shift keys with "Z" and "?"; and, I think, simply by its unique shape.

Anyway, that's my experience with Colemak. In summary, I think it has helped me more than touch typing QWERTY might have; I'm fairly certain it's better for me than Dvorak; and I'm still looking for good ways to get special keys and characters into good positions. Thanks for the layout!

debois said:

Between the Kinesis Advantage, Colemak, and a lot of remapping of non-alphabetical keys, I can some days do maybe 40 minutes without hurting myself.

Great!, That's what all this is about.
    Could not a speech recognition software help you rest your hands until they heal?

Yeah, it does. I'm actually using "Dragon Dictate" to write this post. I didn't really believe it until I tried, but voice recognition is really a viable alternative to keyboarding.

Well, for English language prose, anyway. For programming and my native language, it's hopeless. It's also rather impractical in a modern workplace — my kingdom for an office…

>> and a lot of remapping of non-alphabetical keys

which ones did work for you?

I have:

• Put left-shift where z used to be and right-shift to where ?/ used to be.

• Put TAB as a thumb-key.

• Put Command, Option and Control (Mac OS, like alt, alt-gr and ctrl on Windows) on thumb keys.

Here is an image; "cmd" is "Command", my changes are blue: Kinesis Layout

I'm also using Tomlu's programming language modifier map (with Option/alt).

These changes all help reduce stretches of the pinkies.  I think it's still possible to improve this layout, but I'm not sure exactly how. It has the following problems:

• Using Tomlu's modifier map, the alt keys become fairly high-frequency when programming. Unfortunately, only the, tab, cmd, and space thumb keys are comfortable enough for high-frequency use. I'd like a different placement for the "Tomlu-modifier", but all the good keys for high-frequency use seems to be already taken.

• The arrow keys on the Kinesis sucks big time: (1) your fingers have to curl too much to reach the bottom row, and (2) with my current modifier layout, pressing, say, shift-cmd-leftarrow   is uncomfortable.

I would very much like to try something like DreymaR's "lv 3-4" mappings, but I cannot find a decent xmodmap/AutoHotkey  alternative for Mac OS. Also, I'd probably dislike using Caps Lock as a layout switcher; but that just brings me back to the problem of finding an unused key for a presumably high-frequency layout switching action. I'd much appreciate comments or ideas?

Yeah, sorry but I've had no time nor energy for working with the MacOS files. Not even the motivation as I don't use MacOS myself. Could you use the XKB symbol files to produce xmodmap ones?

I love Caps as a layout switch (for the Extend layer), but I made it modularly configurable so the possibilities are open. Not sure how to do that on MacOS, again.

Last edited by DreymaR (06-Jan-2013 11:06:05)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

@debois

There are simple exercises for finger joint and hand muscles.
    I do it at least twice a day. It takes less than five minutes. You will find the exercises on the net easily. 

I made quick drawings. #1 and #2 strengthen finger joints.  f15b32f0e887e560369e49dcabd8d68c.jpg

Debian GNU/Linux Jessie NitroType TypeTest

Thanks! Nice drawings. I'm actually doing exercises already, including some of yours. No silver bullet for me, I'm afraid…