• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • How hard is it to master Colemak without totally losing qwerty skills?

How hard is it to master Colemak without totally losing qwerty skills?

• Started by Wedge
  • 27 Replies:

An update on my progress:

I'm now somewhere in my second week.  I've been using colemak as much as possible for emails and posting, etc.
I'm up to 34wpm as my personal best in hi-games.net in colemak.  I just re-tested myself in qwerty, and it took 3 attempts to score 65wpm.  I've noticed that I am losing whichever one I haven't been using for a day.  But it does still return quickly.

I have been using full Colemak for two months now, and I have trouble whenever I sit down at a qwerty computer. However, it takes me a few minutes, and then I start typing more and more confidently as my muscles start remembering the layout again. After a while I can even touch type again. I'm not as fluent as I used to be, but I definitely don't have to think where the keys are.

just thought i'd do an update.  I'm now 1 year on colemak.  My typing speed reached my former qwerty speed long ago, but i dont think i've increased much beyond that.  i still make misakes too frequently, but thats getting better all the time.  My current qwerty speed sucks, but i find if i'm looking at the keyboard, i can still do well at qwerty.  i've found i haven't had as much need for qwerty as i thought i would.

my primary reason for making the switch is because i am always typing, i'm a computer geek for work and for play.  I honestly spend way too time in front of the screen.  But all that use was starting to give me pain and cramps in my fingers.  My right index had it the worst, and it was gradually geting worse.  So, decided to learn a more efficient layout hoping that would improve, and i can say it absolutely has.  During the past year I have not a single case of pains or cramps at all.

and the shock factor when someone else tries o type on my computer is hilarious.

• Index
  • Experiences
  • How hard is it to master Colemak without totally losing qwerty skills?