• You are not logged in.

Question Regarding Speed

• Started by TypeCollector
    • 3 Replies:

I switched to Colemak because it held the promise of being more ergonomically sound than QWERTY, while still maintaining common shortcuts. I also hoped, given the more logical letter distribution, that it would possess a similar, if not greater, potential for speed, and it's this property that has now piqued my curiosity. For decades, Dvorak has been the king of that domain, holding the world record for both burst and endurance typing speeds. Despite its recent growth in (relative) popularity, Colemak, however, hasn't ever really been touted for speed the way Dvorak has, granted it's only six years old. In fact, many of the threads indicate speed is to often regarded as a secondary concern to comfort and health. Is this expected to change as people spend more time with it? Has typing speed been found to strongly correlate with CapalX's calculated total effort or has that not yet been examined?

As far as my experience is going, I learned Colemak in a single sitting two weeks ago, but haven't been using it exclusively.  This is partly due to me trying to maintain my QWERTY speed and partly me getting frustrated with how long work and e-mails end up taking at times; I expected that, though, as I've only just started. On any day that I predominantly use Colemak, I also calculate my mean speed (n=10) using 5 consecutive runs each from TypeRacer and Hi-Games. With QWERTY, the mean fluctuates from 120-130 wpm with bursts and runs up to 160 wpm or so. I haven't really experience a drop in speed yet, but I did have to teach myself how to switch from one mode to the other at will. As of today, I'm at roughly 80 wpm with Colemak, which is becoming increasingly comfortable, except for the added use of the ring fingers and whenever 'g's and 'j's are involved. They still feel a bit clumsy and will most likely be the rate determining element for a while. Will have to pay particular attention to them.

I believe there haven't been any studies on typing speed related to the layout used. You can judge from the many experience threads if you want a conclusion. Overall I'd say Colemak is faster than Qwerty, given equal start but that is almost never the case. People usually, as you, learn about Colemak after long time with Qwerty. So whether or not you'll see speed improvement over Qwerty depends.

I would personally say it depends only on how you train. As long as you train, you'll improve your speed even so slightly. And by train, I mean consciously thinking about accuracy, speed or other ways to improve, while typing for at least a few times a week, even if for not long time. Your Qwerty speed is very high, so it'll take time to rebuild all that muscle memory and reach the same speed with Colemak. You only need to be persistent and it'll be a matter of time.

Last edited by pafkata90 (20-Feb-2013 02:20:21)

Since most of Colemak users are in this forum, you can conduct a research on your own based on the Experiences forum.

My observation is 5-10wpm gain from Qwerty to Colemak. Right now I am typing 15wpm faster, but some of the gain is due to the mechanical keyboard I am using.

Last edited by Tony_VN (20-Feb-2013 04:30:17)

I want to point out that Dvorak has been dethroned both on burst and endurance typing speeds since Barbara Blackburn. Check out Sean Wrona to see how fast QWERTY can be typed! He types it his own way, no touch method there. To get that fast I suppose some special tricks are necessary with any layout?

I personally have no doubt that Colemak is good for speed, but it bereaves us of the possibility to train like Sean: He was lightning-fast at the age of 6 and that's gotta be an advantage. It'd be very very interesting to see what speeds Sean could attain on Colemak but of course he doesn't want to mess up his typing by learning something new and it'd take quite a while to build up a similar "gestalt feeling" for a new layout.

That makes me skeptical of all the peeps in here who try out a layout for at most a month or so before passing judgement on it. It's not that simple I believe...

Also, doing research like Tony suggests is fraught with error. I became ~5 WPM faster with Dvorak and then ~10 WPM faster with Colemak again but it took me a long time and a lot of training. Had I trained that diligently with QWERTY I'd no doubt become faster with that too! But I wouldn't have had the joy of typing on a layout that makes sense and feels this comfortable!

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Feb-2013 09:49:07)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***